The Annemiek van Vleuten thread

There's no rule stating we can't make specific threads for female riders, is there?

In case anyone was wondering; Annemiek van Vleuten is tough as nails!
After her terrifying crash at the 2016 Rio games she decided that the best course of action would be to come back and win a month later.

So, without further ado, time to discuss!
 
RedheadDane said:
There's no rule stating we can't make specific threads for female riders, is there?

In case anyone was wondering; Annemiek van Vleuten is tough as nails!
After her terrifying crash at the 2016 Rio games she decided that the best course of action would be to come back and win a month later.

So, without further ado, time to discuss!
Why would there be such a rule :eek:
 
Red Rick said:
RedheadDane said:
There's no rule stating we can't make specific threads for female riders, is there?

In case anyone was wondering; Annemiek van Vleuten is tough as nails!
After her terrifying crash at the 2016 Rio games she decided that the best course of action would be to come back and win a month later.

So, without further ado, time to discuss!
Why would there be such a rule :eek:
Exactly! So why hasn't anyone else gotten the idea of making threads for female riders?
 
Aug 18, 2017
582
0
0
Re:

yaco said:
Interesting to see whether she will be fit to ride the Aussie summer as she is popular in the country.
Probably not
'I can cancel the plans I had to go on holiday with my best friend to the Philippines and train in December in Colombia. The recovery will take a very long time. The break that is there needs at least six weeks to recover. Probably I can only really train again after a month or three.'
 
RedheadDane said:
Red Rick said:
RedheadDane said:
There's no rule stating we can't make specific threads for female riders, is there?

In case anyone was wondering; Annemiek van Vleuten is tough as nails!
After her terrifying crash at the 2016 Rio games she decided that the best course of action would be to come back and win a month later.

So, without further ado, time to discuss!
Why would there be such a rule :eek:
Exactly! So why hasn't anyone else gotten the idea of making threads for female riders?
Probably because the entire women's racing thread for the year only has 330 replies and the majority of what's written there is by one poster.

I'm certainly not against women having their own rider threads, particularly ones as accomplished as Vos, VdB, and Annemiek but frankly, I think we have too many rider threads as it is. I'd say only half that exist get commented on enough to deserve their own thread. That said, it would be cool if there were more people who wanted to discuss the top women and Annemiek certainly should be more discussed than Dillier, McLay, Ledanois, Paterski, Thwaites, Madrazo, and a TON of others who have their own threads. Maybe your thread will inspire people. :)
 
Wageningen loves its favourite daughter, and you all should too. Annemiek is awesome. And given her propensity for coming back from injury sooner than expected and ever stronger, she probably deserves to become IJzeren Annemiek, styled after IJzeren Briek.



She's both one of the most compelling characters in the bunch and one of the most vocal advocates of harder and better races. How can one be against that?

And of course when it comes to harder races, of course she'd be in the best position to profit - after all, she set a time on the Zoncolan that would have put her top 40 in the men's Giro.

 
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Wageningen loves its favourite daughter, and you all should too. Annemiek is awesome. And given her propensity for coming back from injury sooner than expected and ever stronger, she probably deserves to become IJzeren Annemiek, styled after IJzeren Briek.



She's both one of the most compelling characters in the bunch and one of the most vocal advocates of harder and better races. How can one be against that?

And of course when it comes to harder races, of course she'd be in the best position to profit - after all, she set a time on the Zoncolan that would have put her top 40 in the men's Giro.

Thanks for the thread, and to Libertine for the insights; it's great to learn more about the women's peloton from you folks!
 
Do people sneak up to her house and start decorating it?
Though I suppose they wouldn't get in much trouble with the local police over it:
"We're just decorating Annemiek's house for her latest win."
"Oh, cool! We'll help!"
 
Re: Re:

Tim Booth said:
yaco said:
Interesting to see whether she will be fit to ride the Aussie summer as she is popular in the country.
Probably not
'I can cancel the plans I had to go on holiday with my best friend to the Philippines and train in December in Colombia. The recovery will take a very long time. The break that is there needs at least six weeks to recover. Probably I can only really train again after a month or three.'
May still go for training and PR reasons - She gets column inches in the Aussie media.
 
May 25, 2010
7,624
0
0
Im going to be the male LaFlo since I cant help but to have a crush on this woman.

Such a nice personality. The way she deals with her injuries and crashes is admirable. Its more then that really, but I cant find a good word for it.

I always cheer for Annemiek in any womans race. AvB is a fine woman too, but Im always happy when Annemiek beats her.
 
May 25, 2010
7,624
0
0
Training plans for Colombia. This girl....

AvB said that she would never be able to be so dedicated to cycling as Annemiek is. She's a training beast, always thinking about cycling. Kind of similar to Contador.
 
Re:

RedheadDane said:
Hopefully UCI's new focus on women's racing will mean that more races will be televised, making it easier to discuss.
CN should add a Women's Professional Cycling section, if there were a dedicated section for the threads, then there would also be more discussion. Probably there are lots of people who would like to comment on the latest events in women's racing, but can't easily do so - because the threads on the subjects get buried in the past in the general PRR section. To have a certain critical mass of material all in one location gets the discussions started.
 
Re: Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
RedheadDane said:
Hopefully UCI's new focus on women's racing will mean that more races will be televised, making it easier to discuss.
CN should add a Women's Professional Cycling section, if there were a dedicated section for the threads, then there would also be more discussion. Probably there are lots of people who would like to comment on the latest events in women's racing, but can't easily do so - because the threads on the subjects get buried in the past in the general PRR section. To have a certain critical mass of material all in one location gets the discussions started.
I entirely disagree. If it had its own sub-forum it would probably be as little used as the cyclo-cross and MTB threads, unfortunately. I think they too would be better off if they had a thread in here.
 
Kwibus said:
Im going to be the male LaFlo since I cant help but to have a crush on this woman.

Such a nice personality. The way she deals with her injuries and crashes is admirable. Its more then that really, but I cant find a good word for it.

I always cheer for Annemiek in any womans race. AvB is a fine woman too, but Im always happy when Annemiek beats her.
AvV seems so sweet and cheerful, she always has that twinkle in her eyes. As opposed to AvdB who is a lot more reserved. I prefer to watch AvdB on the bike as she seems so effortless, but it's just impossible not to cheer for AvV.
 
Re:

tobydawq said:
I entirely disagree. If it had its own sub-forum it would probably be as little used as the cyclo-cross and MTB threads, unfortunately. I think they too would be better off if they had a thread in here.
To me that seems entirely possible, sort an unfortunate commentary on the relative popularity of men's / women's pro cycling... but to me that outcome (relatively small section) would be okay and better than status-quo.
My thinking is based on experience in organizing women's racing teams, that there has to be what I called a 'critical mass' of interest by women themselves to hold it together. Do women represent a greater proportion of the fans of women's cycling, probably, but I don't know that for sure. It seems obvious that the participation in the CN forums is kind of lopsided by gender. New women's section probably won't happen though if it's more work to moderate
Red Rick said:
I think it might get more traction if there were actual race threads for the big women's races rather than one general thread, but that's just my $0.02
One of my club teammates went professional and rode for Tibco in the Flèche Wallonne Féminine. But we couldn't watch her compete because it wasn't televised... when it's kind of close to home, is when that gender disparity seems criminally unfair. It would be a good experiment for someone to take the initiative to make previews of televised women's races, as PRR threads, I agree.
Cheers for Annemiek, (2nd-place finisher in the 2015 women's Flèche Wallonne by the way). This is her thread after all. And she is a super-heroine to have come back from such serious injury, I was horrified by her Rio crash and feared for her career at that point. This is great
 
I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen anything like what she did today in a men's race. She basically went viciously from the VERY beginning of the final climb, dropped the field in no time, and put 3 minutes into the chasers.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS