The battles we never got to see

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 20, 2009
406
0
0
Angliru said:
Ummm... well someone attacked this year a long, long way from the bottom. I'll let you do the leg work to figure out who.;)
did he win the tour? nup!

the trend these years is to wait until 200m from the end of a mountaintop finish and gap then. what a load of rubbish.
 
gregrowlerson said:
It was a thirty-nine something, maybe 39:40? Not as fast as 2006, 2004, etc. The other guys were only around the high 41's :eek:
2008: 39:30 Carlos Sastre 20.96 km/h
2008: 41:33 Samuel Sanchez 19.93 km/h
2008: 41:33 Andy Schleck 19.93 km/h
2008: 41:43 Alejandro Valverde 19.85 km/h
2008: 41:43 Frank Schleck 19.85 km/h
2008: 41:45 Vladimir Efimkin 19.83 km/h
2008: 41:45 Cadel Evans 19.83 km/h
2008: 41:45 Denis Menchov 19.83 km/h
2008: 41:45 Christian Vande Velde 19.83 km/h
2008: 41:45 Bernhard Kohl 19.83 km/h

besides sastre's stratospheric ascent,it was meh.schleck tried a couple of times,and the rest of the climb ag2r guy,goubert if i remember lead the favourite group

that's what leads me to a battle we never got to see...saunier duval with on fire with all cylinders cobo-ricco-piepoli on the alps tour de france 2008,that could have been fuuuun.
 
Jun 18, 2011
197
0
0
jens_attacks said:
that's what leads me to a battle we never got to see...saunier duval with on fire with all cylinders cobo-ricco-piepoli on the alps tour de france 2008,that could have been fuuuun.
Add in Contador and the 08 Astana squad to that...and throw Rasmussen in there just for fun
 
Pellizotti in the 2010 Giro.

Remember it was only on the eve of the race, a couple of weeks before when he got pulled. Basso was only "average" in his comeback at the Vuelta, I think many of us saw Pellizotti as having just as good a chance, if not better (he was my personal tip for the win, but obviously underrated Basso). I think we would have seen a Zoncolan 1-2, and Pellizotti going back to back on Kronplatz!
 
Mar 8, 2010
3,263
1
0
Eddy, relax. Everything is fine. Was just a nightmare.
You still remember him....but they didn't let him out.




 
jens_attacks said:
that's what leads me to a battle we never got to see...saunier duval with on fire with all cylinders cobo-ricco-piepoli on the alps tour de france 2008,that could have been fuuuun.
the way they were going with clinic related stuff at the time it would have been a slaughter
 
Dec 27, 2010
6,674
0
0
Ferminal said:
Pellizotti in the 2010 Giro.

Remember it was only on the eve of the race, a couple of weeks before when he got pulled. Basso was only "average" in his comeback at the Vuelta, I think many of us saw Pellizotti as having just as good a chance, if not better (he was my personal tip for the win, but obviously underrated Basso). I think we would have seen a Zoncolan 1-2, and Pellizotti going back to back on Kronplatz!
Could've been a Pellizotti - Basso - Nibali podium.
 
Andy Shleck before Chaingate occurred Vs Contador. That event scarred him for the rest of that TDF, where he could not drop Contador but for a second it looked as if Contador had cracked.

RIP Xavier Tondo at the TDF. I think it would have been good.
 
Jan 27, 2011
3,399
0
0
greenedge said:
Andy Shleck before Chaingate occurred Vs Contador. That event scarred him for the rest of that TDF, where he could not drop Contador but for a second it looked as if Contador had cracked.
Interesting one and a great suggestion, it sure as hell never even looked close like Contador was going to drop Schleck on the climb, besides on Mende which is Contadors speciality.

And it sure as hell looked like Schleck got away from the group as it was Vino being the only one able to respond to Schlecks attack..


I know this post is going to get the Contador-fanboy/A Schleck hater stuff going again, but please just refrain from going there and keep it somewhat normal instead of: "NO YOU ARE A FANBOY" bashing. Thanks :cool:
 
Havetts said:
Interesting one and a great suggestion, it sure as hell never even looked close like Contador was going to drop Schleck on the climb, besides on Mende which is Contadors speciality.

And it sure as hell looked like Schleck got away from the group as it was Vino being the only one able to respond to Schlecks attack..


I know this post is going to get the Contador-fanboy/A Schleck hater stuff going again, but please just refrain from going there and keep it somewhat normal instead of: "NO YOU ARE A FANBOY" bashing. Thanks :cool:
Vino was in a better position to respond. If I recall correctly the reason Andy attacked in the first place was because Contador was boxed in and further back in the pack. I don't recall seeing any evidence of Contador being in any physical distress at that moment, just not in the ideal position to respond to Andy's attack. Why he (Contador) was in the position he was in I don't recall but he didn't seem to have any problem responding, and considering Andy's less than stellar descending skills it's likely that he would've been reeled in anyway, Chaingate or not.
 
Havetts said:
Interesting one and a great suggestion, it sure as hell never even looked close like Contador was going to drop Schleck on the climb, besides on Mende which is Contadors speciality.

And it sure as hell looked like Schleck got away from the group as it was Vino being the only one able to respond to Schlecks attack..


I know this post is going to get the Contador-fanboy/A Schleck hater stuff going again, but please just refrain from going there and keep it somewhat normal instead of: "NO YOU ARE A FANBOY" bashing. Thanks :cool:
hell ye :D
 
Angliru said:
Vino was in a better position to respond. If I recall correctly the reason Andy attacked in the first place was because Contador was boxed in and further back in the pack. I don't recall seeing any evidence of Contador being in any physical distress at that moment, just not in the ideal position to respond to Andy's attack. Why he (Contador) was in the position he was in I don't recall but he didn't seem to have any problem responding, and considering Andy's less than stellar descending skills it's likely that he would've been reeled in anyway, Chaingate or not.

I know but Contador might have cracked/ Shleck might have launched a bigger assault up the Tourmalet ( if he knew he was stronger on the climbs )
Sloppy editing from SBS featured in my coverage, it just showed an attack, Vino, Chaingate, then 10 seconds later Contador going away.

Another battle would have been Frank aiding Andy in that TDF.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DoYouEvenRideBruh Professional Road Racing 47
Similar threads
Epic Rap Battles of Cycling

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS