• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Big Shuffle: 2017 Tour of Flanders route

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Bruges is out. Antwerp is in and the Muur returns.

I must say, I'm bummed for Bruges. I don't at all care for Antwep but I like the Muur.

Change can be good, it can be bad. Sometimes change is just change. I think Flanders Classics pee'd on their shoes with this one.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't care where it starts, really. It's still in Flanders, and they still ride in Flanders (Yes, I know in 1302 this was different). The inclusion of the Muur is great. No Bosberg is a pity though. And I hope they find a way to put it in with only 80k to go, could really become a new classic 'opener' of the race (and thus completely switching roles with Oude Kwaremont)

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm pleased the Muur is back on the cards. I'm not too fussed about the start, only because I don't see any of it with the Eurosport feed. It's going to add some spice to my own Flanders trip next week. :)

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Flemish friends telling me Antwerp isn't in Flanders. Also Flanders Classics putting a cool 400,000 euro per year in their pocket without even allowing Bruges to bid.

Politics and money. Can't seem to get away from either. All we need now is rampant corruption and then we'll have the trifecta.

Re: Re:

bylbyl said:
Scott SoCal said:
Flemish friends telling me Antwerp isn't in Flanders. ....

Erm... I live in Antwerpen... I can assure you Antwerp is in Flanders :)

Antwerp was a part of old-flandres (so were picardie and parts of holland) but it wasn't a part of the Duchy of Flandres. Antwerp was in fact a part of the duchy of Brabant. And that's why people are having mixed feelings (so am I). But it's ok Bruges will be the starting town of next years Scheldeprijs

Re: Re:

bylbyl said:
Scott SoCal said:
Flemish friends telling me Antwerp isn't in Flanders. ....

Erm... I live in Antwerpen... I can assure you Antwerp is in Flanders :)
It certainly isn't in Walloon region, but I believe there's more than few that would argue it belongs to Flanders.

Anyway, the decisive part of the race is unchanged, so nothing major in that sense. Return of Muur is worth of praise, it's getting Molenberg's or Koppenberg's role from previous editions.
I don't know what to say about the change of start location... Antwerp instead of Bruges probably means racing away from the coastline, and that isn't exactly a positive thing. Some nostalgic arguments can be found, too.