• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Bora - Hansgrohe team thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ackermann not a happy camper. I can see both sides of this one: he has been told for a long time that he’d be at this Tour, he signed again with that understanding… but what is a team supposed to do with a top sprinter who has abruptly stopped winning?
Even if he was winning I'm not sure it makes any sense to pick him as long as Sagan is going for another jersey (plus they're also riding a GC race)

Both unassailable points to me. If Ackermann had won a few races, then I could MAYBE see the logic in taking him. But even a subpar, potentially tired Sagan (and he looked pretty sharp in a few big races like MSR etc this year) is going to produce a few media moments, whereas Ackermann finishing 2nd or 3rd in sprint stages won't...

I actually like Bora's lineup -- Buchmann will probably have a lot left in the tank and Keldermann should go Top 10 at least. Politt and Postlberger could go for breakaways if a GC bid falters. Ideally Buchmann loses time early and goes for polka dot or stage wins while Wilco fights for Top 5 placing...and Sagan wins a stage or two plus green jersey.

Ackermann not a happy camper. I can see both sides of this one: he has been told for a long time that he’d be at this Tour, he signed again with that understanding… but what is a team supposed to do with a top sprinter who has abruptly stopped winning?

This reminds me of Ewan being dropped at the last minute from the 2018 TDF by Bike Exchange - The only difference is that Ewan's form was a touch better than Ackermann's.

An interview (in Slovak) with DS Jan Valach. Google translate should be OK.

He said that the teams goals are a stage and the green yersey.

Most of the article is about Sagan but Valach has some interesting remarks on how hard it is to get into a break.
That's interesting. Sagan mentioned yesterday (for a TV during the national championship) that they are aiming for top 5 with Wilco and that Wilco is their leader. Not sure why this was omitted by Valach in the interview.

:tearsofjoy:

The eight professionals of the Raublinger troupe arrived with a beard that can be seen more on some and less on the other. The male adornment has flourished most splendidly with top star Peter Sagan, while Nils Politt still looked quite naked in the face. Incidentally, the hairy affair is reminiscent of Hans Grohe, the company founder who is co-sponsored by hansgrohe. The company will be 120 years old this year, which is why the team is also wearing a special jersey. "Because the company founder was known as a beard, we want to remember him with the schnauzer", team spokesman Ralph Scherzer explained the action. How long it should last has not yet been clarified! "Hopefully only until tomorrow," said Emanuel Buchmann and laughed. The beard growth has already progressed further in the 2019 tournament.

• Haha
Ackermann picked up 5 stage wins and 2 points jerseys while the Tour was going on, how do you not bring a guy like that to a GT?

I think with Ackermann they have a good chance to win the Cyclassics Hamburg, Eschborn-Frankfurt and one or two stages in the Deutschland-Tour. With him probably leaving the team, they decided to give Meeus the chance and experience to ride a GT?

TRENDING THREADS