• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Colombian teams' low budget assault on the pro tour field in Colorado.

Amazing article. Wretched excess has become our cultural norm...
It is embarassing to think of how many riders toss their bikes when disgusted, or have come to expect multiples of bikes, etc ...

not just in cycling but we can learn something--even just a little---from looking at everything we do from a different view.

I was rooting for these quiet and soft-spoken guys. They even interviewed Oscar Sevilla on the stage in Golden last week before stage 6.

Eric8-A said:
... for those that havn't already come across it

Colorado on the Cheap

Thanks - The article is just the prove of what "real" athletes are ready so sacrifice in order to do their job-even with such limitations in budged & equipment-they're determined to ride at the highest level
-I'm very proud of my countrymen once again giving notice to the world of the level & quality of cycling we practice & how eager we are to recover that rich past of international recognition, like once Lucho Herrera & Fabio Parra & many more did back in the 80's

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Good read. Also nice to see that colleagues and other representatives were willing to help them out. It's also great initiative to

take underprivileged kids with cycling talent from the countryside to Medellin, sponsor their education and mentor them through sport to become contributing members of Colombian society.

I hope it becomes a successful program.

Bala Verde said:
Good read. Also nice to see that colleagues and other representatives were willing to help them out. It's also great initiative to

I hope it becomes a successful program.

This was especially heartwarming to hear. From top to bottom the cycling community tends to support it's own.

A fine article on an unappreciated region of cycling. Great to see them getting the exposure in the states and Europe that they deserve.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice to see them get some corporate help from here on out..
I had no idea they had to swap bikes out among riders.. wow.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
I thought it's especially sad that they have to buy their own bikes. Really Giant/Trek/Specialized/Cervelo, you don't have 10 frames lying around that you could give those guys?

Should Gobernacion not get a chinese frame sponsor? what's the difference;)

Eric8-A said:
... for those that havn't already come across it

Colorado on the Cheap
Great read.

Economy is improving, so we are happy about it. I bet 10 years ago they could not have made that trip.

Santiago underestimating his rivals from Boyaca. Maybe Boyaca has an opinion on this:

“Antioquia is great for riding, and it’s where all of the best Colombian riders are from,” Botero said

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
http://velonews.comp...colorado_190400---

imagine if they had proper itt bikes, explains to me why they weren't doing too well on the itt's (gobernacion)

story is a bit exagerated of course. they don't have just 3 itt bikes, they have many more, at least a dozen, but they couldn't pay for all of them to get transported to usa.

TRENDING THREADS