• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Quickstep Thread

Next month at MSR Alaphilippe and Gilbert will get away together on the Poggio and Viviani and Gaviria will contend the bunch sprint behind :eek:

Gewiss-Ballan ain't got *** on them. :p

Ah, a thread for the team winning the team victory ranking since 2012. I doubt they'll keep it going this year.

2018 will be an important year for them with Boonen, Kittel, Martin, Brambilla, Trentin and De La Cruz leaving the team.
They may have lost the best sprinter in the world but they still have the two best lead out men in the peloton. Viviani seems to be a nice fit though.

Alaphilippe is the only leader for the Ardennes this year, I hope he finally gets his win this year. He's such a great guy.

Re:

Breh said:
Ah, a thread for the team winning the team victory ranking since 2012. I doubt they'll keep it going this year.

2018 will be an important year for them with Boonen, Kittel, Martin, Brambilla, Trentin and De La Cruz leaving the team.
They may have lost the best sprinter in the world but they still have the two best lead out men in the peloton. Viviani seems to be a nice fit though.

Alaphilippe is the only leader for the Ardennes this year, I hope he finally gets his win this year. He's such a great guy.
In all fairness, it's not like Brambilla, De la Cruz nor Boonen for that matter had much, if any, impact on their winning tally last year.

Re: Re:

GuyIncognito said:
Akuryo said:
11 wins aleady in 2018. Mostly "**** small races" but still pretty impressive!

Hard to win anything else when there hasn't been a single remotely important race yet this year. It's February 10th!

Sure but those Gaviria wins are a bit... cheap... I don't know how to say it otherwise but you know what I mean. Same for the Degenkolb wins in Mallorca.

Gilbert apparently attacked with 60k to go in Vuelta a Murcia. Training for Milano-Sanremo and #striveforfive?

He is becoming more know for his marathon rides rather than his uphill sprints. Is he going to do the same thing in MSR? That's the only way he can win it.

I think he is too old to go with Sagan on Poggio, it's Alaphilippe's job. And in the sprint, they both have Gaviria and Viviani.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Gilbert apparently attacked with 60k to go in Vuelta a Murcia. Training for Milano-Sanremo and #striveforfive?

He is becoming more know for his marathon rides rather than his uphill sprints. Is he going to do the same thing in MSR? That's the only way he can win it.

I think he is too old to go with Sagan on Poggio, it's Alaphilippe's job. And in the sprint, they both have Gaviria and Viviani.
There was a big morning break of 40, Gilbert attacked from that with Trentin, Sierry, Jungels. On Collado Bermejo Gilbert and Jungels dropped the others and Valverde, Sanchez and Fuglsang attacked from the peloton then after the climb catched and dropped the Quickstep duo.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Velolover2 said:

too old? :surprised: what about last year? man, you're talking about the best puncher of the last 10 years

Get to know neo-pro Jhonatan Narvaez(finished 10th at Oro y Paz)
http://www.quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/jhonatan-narvaez-happy-to-be-part-of-quick-step-floors/3452

An article on neo-pro James Knox
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/james-knox-to-the-worldtour-and-beyond-368347

Fernando Gaviria's nephew at Oro y Paz
DVwuiXsW0AI-6z3.jpg

They are definitely off to a nice start. A win is a win regardless of where you get it. They all count as wins in your final win tally. MSR and Paris-Roubiax are the two monuments missing from Gilbert's palmares to get all 5. Although I think he said he was targeting Paris-Roubiax this year, but I do expect him to be at MSR as well. As for too old, well he is younger than Valverde.

RedheadDane said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
RedheadDane said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
One year to late...

I'd say they're still doing pretty fine without Boonen. ;)
They are but there is a void...

Teams loses "big-name" riders all the time. Some teams might suffer a drastic decline in results when that happens, Quickstep isn't one of those teams.
It's not a void in results, it's a void in our hearts.

Anyway, the first big race of the season starts in 10days.
Devenyns, Gilbert, Gaviria, Keisse, Terpstra, Stybar and Lampaert. Looks like a solid team.

I still really wouldn't wanna mess with that team. Gilbert still seems super strong and I have no doubt he is gonna be one of the very best in the flemish races. Gaviria is still new to them and I don't really know what to expect from him. Terpstra and Stybar is on a slight decline it seems, but both are still extremely solid and can win on their day.

Breh said:
RedheadDane said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
RedheadDane said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
One year to late...

I'd say they're still doing pretty fine without Boonen. ;)
They are but there is a void...

Teams loses "big-name" riders all the time. Some teams might suffer a drastic decline in results when that happens, Quickstep isn't one of those teams.
It's not a void in results, it's a void in our hearts.

You can't run around having voids in your heart every time a rider retires, it happens all the time.
Besides, he's kinda earned his retirement.

TRENDING THREADS