• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Almeida was one of the top guys in his class in the U23. He'd be 22 by the time the Giro is held. He'd be a year older than Pogacar when he rode the Vuelta, and he's 18 months older than Evenepoel. He'd be half a year older than Bernal was when he went to the TDF. He'd be the exact same age De Plus was when Quickstep took him to the giro (and he finished 24th, while working for Jungels & Gaviria). They took Honoré last year as well, at 22 and a few months.

With 3 ITT's, that also means he has 3 days he can take it easy on top of the rest days. If it turns out to be a Giro with 3 rest days (as in some recent years, and which was originally the plan upon coming back from Hungary iirc) and 3 ITT's, i don't see why they wouldn't be able to bring Almeida.

For the rest i think we're saying about the same thing. Classics guys will go to the Tour. Serry has often gone to the Giro, and i'm sure Cattaneo would also like doing the Giro. Keisse is important to Evenepoel, he looks up to him in terms of leadership, and he could also prove crucial to Jakobsen. If they indeed bring Morkov for Jakobsen and don't send him to the TDF for Bennett, then there is only one spot open for the giro (Evenepoel, Jakobsen, Knox, Serry, Cattaneo, Keisse, Morkov...). Wonder if they'd pick Almeida in support of Knox and Evenepoel (or if they think they've got plenty with Serry and Cattaneo), or take a guy like Ballerini, Steels, Declercq, Van Lerberghe, Honoré...

What do you think of their team? Can we trust the letour-list? With Stybar going and Archbold staying at home? Jungels going and Sénéchal and Cavagna staying at home? Well, I guess Jungels and Stybar are better at captaining than Alaphilippe, could that be a reason they are going? Or is it a question of age, mostly? The younger guys going to the Giro? (Well, Archbold is not the youngest, but he looks like a youngling with his hair...)

Giro is almost over, they did not win a stage, but placed 3 guys in the top 14. Kind of amazing if you consider their designated leader was injured. Add young riders like Bagioli and Vansevenant, they might have some climbing potential for the first time in their entire existence. There have always been the likes of Jungels, Barredo, Cataldo, De Weert or Seeldryers but those guys had to fight for themselves and never had an organized team effort to place high in GC. Will this change in the coming years with that abundance of talent when it comes to climbing? Back in 2014 they made an effort to support Uran with Poels, Brambilla, Serry, De Gendt and Pauwels. But that was short lived: only a year later Uran had to work with Bouet, De la Cruz and Serry. :eek:

Giro is almost over, they did not win a stage, but placed 3 guys in the top 14. Kind of amazing if you consider their designated leader was injured. Add young riders like Bagioli and Vansevenant, they might have some climbing potential for the first time in their entire existence. There have always been the likes of Jungels, Barredo, Cataldo, De Weert or Seeldryers but those guys had to fight for themselves and never had an organized team effort to place high in GC. Will this change in the coming years with that abundance of talent when it comes to climbing? Back in 2014 they made an effort to support Uran with Poels, Brambilla, Serry, De Gendt and Pauwels. But that was short lived: only a year later Uran had to work with Bouet, De la Cruz and Serry. :eek:
With U23 riders graduating at nearly the same level as WT pros, which imho has more to do with more professional guidance, nutrition, power meters and lab data than clinic reasons, it is smart of them to pick up young and cheap prospects to build a team up, instead of trying to snatch top domestiques from other teams. I'm actually amazed they let some "slam dunks" slip out of their hands. But the strategy is paying off nevertheless, more so because these young guys don't get the pressure that they "need" to perform immediately.

A very, very quiet transfer season for them. Seems everything is sorted out and set in motion for the next years already, no need for much action right now.

They managed to keep their entire team together except for Jungels. Since this team has already shown to be rather succesful there is indeed no need for much action on the transfer market.

Apparently they just signed Cerny though. Seems like a very good fit as support for the team leaders. They now have 29 riders for 2021. I don't think they're looking for further transfers unless an opportunity presents itself.

Latest I heard Lefevere is also still in doubt whether to give Cavendish a contract but I don't know if that's still on the table.

Reactions: BlueRoads
Cerny is a good pickup, assume he didn't cost very much, but he looks to have a good engine.

Regarding Cav: I'd give him a very thorough physical, check out some wattage and VO2 max figures, see how they match up historically. It would be great for him to have a swan song but I really don't want him to be just pack fodder.

I'm very curious to see what kind of GT schedule DQS sets up next year. I'd need to look more closely at the courses but I could see one for Bennett, one for Remco and maybe one for Almeida? or Knox?

Also hoping that Mauri Vansevenant can follow up on his huge Fleche ride.

Cerny is a good pickup, assume he didn't cost very much, but he looks to have a good engine.

Regarding Cav: I'd give him a very thorough physical, check out some wattage and VO2 max figures, see how they match up historically. It would be great for him to have a swan song but I really don't want him to be just pack fodder.

I'm very curious to see what kind of GT schedule DQS sets up next year. I'd need to look more closely at the courses but I could see one for Bennett, one for Remco and maybe one for Almeida? or Knox?

I am also very curious about that.

Will Remco be 100% for the Giro or would a TT heavy Tour 2 months later suit him a bit more? How will the Olympics impact that?

Giro: Almeida with Masnada as backup

Tour: Remco, Bennett and Alaphilippe with Knox as backup

Vuelta: Knox, Masnada and Bennett

I am also very curious about that.

Will Remco be 100% for the Giro or would a TT heavy Tour 2 months later suit him a bit more? How will the Olympics impact that?

Giro: Almeida with Masnada as backup

Tour: Remco, Bennett and Alaphilippe with Knox as backup

Vuelta: Knox, Masnada and Bennett

I think Remco and Alaphilippe go very well together if they can deal well with it on a personal/ ego level. But in that case I certainly wouldn't bring Bennett as well -which is tough since it's such a sprinter's Tour next year. I would still prepare for Remco going to the Giro, if I was DQS and then in the longer run probably let go of a sprinter with all his support for the Tour. (Or Alaphilippe leaves or he takes on the Vuelta instead which at this point does seem improbable. Or Evenepoel does not fullfill the hopes.)
If they want Evenepoel to go for GC it's no question they have to bring Almeida as a domestique. They could bring Evenepoel as a leader and Almeida as a helper to the Giro, and the other way around at the Vuelta in 2021.
I don't believe in Knox and I think he can never be more than a helper at DQS, nice guy, but I don't see him as a GC guy at a team which does now probably have serious GC contenders.
I did not really get what Alaphilippe meant with his Tour-statement, whether he was just respecting the Tour for what it is or whether he has ambitions for the future, but I can't see him as a GC guy in the near future.

I’d be surprised if their plan for Remco differs from what was supposed to happen this year, ie they send him to the Giro to ride and lead his first GT in a somewhat lower pressure environment. Bennett and Alaphilippe to the Tour. Then in 2022 one or both of Bennett and Alaphilippe will likely go elsewhere for a big pay rise and Evenepoel leads the Tour. They’ll still bring a sprinter though, they are DQS after all,

Why is that so?

:astonished: Don't know, thought that was... well, the obvious take. You have a young, very promising GC contender, a team that now has some okayish helpers in the mountains, but is not full of them, and then you don't bring one of the best, maybe the best, of those? Almeida is not (yet) strong enough to win a GT himself and until that changes I can see absolutely no reason to not bring him. If of course he pogacars early next year, that would be different.

I’d be surprised if their plan for Remco differs from what was supposed to happen this year, ie they send him to the Giro to ride and lead his first GT in a somewhat lower pressure environment. Bennett and Alaphilippe to the Tour. Then in 2022 one or both of Bennett and Alaphilippe will likely go elsewhere for a big pay rise and Evenepoel leads the Tour. They’ll still bring a sprinter though, they are DQS after all,

Yeah, I don't think they'll bring Evenepoel to the Tour yet. Maybe they should even let Almeida have a go at the Tour. I honestly think it would be a shame if they only used him as a helper for Evenepoel.

Yeah, I don't think they'll bring Evenepoel to the Tour yet. Maybe they should even let Almeida have a go at the Tour. I honestly think it would be a shame if they only used him as a helper for Evenepoel.
From what I've heard Remco will ride the Giro if the Olympics take place, otherwise they might send him to the Tour.
The one race that they really need to bring him is LBL, who is gonna beat them in that race in the coming years? Ala, Remco, Almeida and Bagioli, that's almost more firepower than their cobbles team.
If Remco attacks on La Redoute or on one of the shorter hills between that climb and La Roche aux Faucons Ala just has to follow wheels, who's gonna bring him back and give Ala a free ride?

Mauri surprised me this year in Fleche Wallonne, but i would not expect him to do anything close to what Remco did last year, or what Almeida or Bagioli did this year. I think he got overhyped last year, he's been talked about a lot more in Belgian media than for instance Van Wilder, who i do hold in (much) higher regard, having a lot more natural class. But one has a known name, the other doesn't.

Cav would be interesting to pick up, if you want to integrate him into management/DS/coach (which i think he could be great at) after next season. Maybe specifically for sprints and sprinters, but he has a shitload of experience and he knows what 's what. Could be invaluable for a team like DQT. I don't think it would make much sense to give him a contract without such a long-term vision. Just as an extra sprinter in the team, it isn't worth it imho. They currently only have Bennett. Hodeg is a joke and Jakobsen is out for the foreseeable future. If they want to attract another sprinter, they need someone who actually has a chance to win. Not Cav. I actually would bet on Ballerini more than Cavendish.

For GT's, Remco has been talking about the Olympics being so important to him for the past 2 seasons. In Japan he'll get a double shot, with both the RR and ITT tailored to his qualities. In 4 years (Paris), that won't be the case, and who knows what it'll be in 8 years, or how his situation will be. So if the Olympics take place, there is no doubt in my mind that he will make that his seasonal goal numero uno. If the TDF in anyway endangers that, he will not ride the TDF.

Giro: Evenepoel + Almeida, Masnada, Cattaneo, Serry...
Tour: Bennet/Alaphilippe + Devenyns, Knox, Morkov, Asgreen...
Vuelta: Almeida/Jakobsen(?) + Bagioli, Masnada, Vansevenant, Hodeg, Serry...

Alaphilippe said that he would like to win the TDF if he could only win one other race in his life. Does that actually mean he will go for GC, and if so would it be this year? The course does favor him more than it did last year, but i don' t know. I think the team knows Remco has a much larger chance to win the Giro than Julian to win the TDF. I can't see them sacrifice support in the Giro for an outside bet in the TDF with Julian. My guess would be that they don't go to the TDF for GC, but again for stages with Bennett and Alaphilippe with support riders that can work for both and go into a break and finish as well (Asgreen, Lampaert, Cavagna...). The team has a lot of big engine guys that can be useful in many roles, but i don't think they can go for a GC in 3 GT's at the moment. Maybe in a few years if Vansevenant and Bagioli are proven climbers. But for now, there are Julian, Remco, Almeida, Masnada, Cattaneo, Knox, Bagioli, Vansevenant, Serry, Devenyns, Honoré if we're being kind, for mountains/mid mountains. Personally, i would go for GC in the Giro with Remco and Almeida in backup. And in the Vuelta with Almeida and Bagioli/Masnada in backup. Let Alaphilippe go for stages in the TDF.

Evenepoel doing Giro would also work best with him riding LBL and Lombardia, imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Berflamand
A very, very quiet transfer season for them. Seems everything is sorted out and set in motion for the next years already, no need for much action right now.

It seems like the way it usually goes is; Rider wins a ton of races. Said rider gets attention from rival teams. Lefevere can't afford to keep him. Rider changes team. Rider wins ***-all on his new team.

TRENDING THREADS