• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
QS went in thinking that this preparation would be enough and Evenepoel's abilities will take care of the rest
Then someone like Bernal must be a complete nutcase to ride his bike 150-200km, 5 times in a week, from December to April. He could've just done some easy rides in February, then maybe some basic workouts for another two months and that would be it, ready steady for the Giro.

I just don't belive they've been that naive to think this is enough and his magical abilities will do the rest. Imho they were totally aware that he will crack badly at one point (sooner or later) but just didn't care about that and about Almeida at all.

Then someone like Bernal must be a complete nutcase to ride his bike 150-200km, 5x times in a week, from December to April. He could've just done some easy rides in February, then maybe some basic workouts for another two months and that would be it, ready steady for the Giro.

I just don't belive they've been that naive to think this is enough and his magical abilities will do the rest. Imho they were totally aware that he will crack badly at one point (sooner or later) but just didn't care about that and about Almeida at all.

I am just remembering an interview from Masnada from April where he said that Evenepoel comes to the Giro to win it and the goal is to fight for pink. I think at least some part of that was team internal feelings.

But your point is very true which makes everything all the more puzzling.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I know that but I wanted to see if they could try to win some High Mountain Stages also
If I had to guess I'd say that one of those 2 spots will go to Devenyns. He'll pretty much solely be there to help JA so don't expect anything from him in the mountains. Last spot could go to Sénéchal to be the penultimate guy in the lead out train for Bennett. So basically you're probably not going to get what you want.

I know that but I wanted to see if they could try to win some High Mountain Stages also
They sent all their best climbers to the Giro, it's really unlikely that they would win any high mountain stages in the Tour in this situation (unless Alaphilippe can do it from a right break). Someone like Cattaneo is not a realistic prospect for a TdF stage win. In their position It's better to ensure optimal support for Bennett than to take a relatively average climber IMO.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't know why exactly but they seem to be hesitating to put Devenyns in the team. He's not yet on the Suisse startlist either. Maybe he has some issues, or they have other plans after all.
I think Vansevenant will do the Vuelta for sure and Tour and Vuelta should be too much for him.
Cavagna will surely want to do well in the Olympics TT and focus on that.
Hm, are they waiting whether the Olympics get cancelled after all?

I don't know why exactly but they seem to be hesitating to put Devenyns in the team. He's not yet on the Suisse startlist either. Maybe he has some issues, or they have other plans after all.
I think Vansevenant will do the Vuelta for sure and Tour and Vuelta should be too much for him.
Cavagna will surely want to do well in the Olympics TT and focus on that.
Hm, are they waiting whether the Olympics get cancelled after all?

pretty sure that they are waiting for national call choices for the Olympics. For instance João Almeida already said to Portuguese media that he would love to be in the Olympics and if so it would probably change with La Vuelta participation options.

TRENDING THREADS