• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not that we expected it, but no Tour for Cav:

"The Tour is probably too hard for him now," Patrick Lefevere said in an interview with Italian website Bici.Pro.

"Mark has done a few races. He's also been unlucky because some of the race he was supposed to do were cancelled. He retired on stage 3 of the Vuelta a Andalucía saying it wasn't a race for sprinters and then André Greipel won the next day."

That bit about him quitting the day before Greipel won is priceless.

pretty sure that they are waiting for national call choices for the Olympics. For instance João Almeida already said to Portuguese media that he would love to be in the Olympics and if so it would probably change with La Vuelta participation options.
Wow, that would be cool to see Almeida take gold! Although he would have to sacrifice his commanding lead in that other competition ;)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sending him to Suisse is more of a punishment than anything else.

Indeed. There's not going to be a sprint and if there was his lead-out would be Steimle and Alaphilippe. But at this point I'm just happy to see him race at all. But they do have an obligation to give the riders a certain amount of race days, right?
Well, maybe more climbing is even a way for him to go, more a Colbrelli type...
Probably not.

They say (well, PL does) Cavendish might do the Tour instead of Bennett if Bennett doesn't heal fast??!
I mean, all their team is made for Bennett, which I can understand with last years success, but for Cavendish?!!
o_O
Can he actually be so improved? I had thought that his level, despite the very surprising rise, was still quite far from going to the Tour, because I thought he still gets dropped pretty easily and won't have a chance against Ewan.

It’s a huge problem for them if Bennett is injured. He has been in imperious form, but the successes of Cavendish and Ballerini in some early season races doesnt change that they have the shallowest “bench” for sprinters in their recent history. They don’t have anyone really ready to slot in, but their whole Tour team is set up to support a sprinter while Alaphilippe does his thing. Cavendish would be the least worst fallback given that Ballerini and Hodeg just aren’t fast enough and Jakobsen is not ready.

They say (well, PL does) Cavendish might do the Tour instead of Bennett if Bennett doesn't heal fast??!
I mean, all their team is made for Bennett, which I can understand with last years success, but for Cavendish?!!
o_O
Can he actually be so improved? I had thought that his level, despite the very surprising rise, was still quite far from going to the Tour, because I thought he still gets dropped pretty easily and won't have a chance against Ewan.

I would say of the competition at the Tour only Ewan, Demare and maybe Merlier are visibly faster than Cav. If he gets a clean run at a sprint I cannot see Sagan, Ackermannn, Colbrelli, Bol, Bouhanni and Coquard beating him so winning stages is realistic although he seems to struggle with the hectic bunch sprints. Of course the mountains are another issue.

I would say of the competition at the Tour only Ewan, Demare and maybe Merlier are visibly faster than Cav. If he gets a clean run at a sprint I cannot see Sagan, Ackermannn, Colbrelli, Bol, Bouhanni and Coquard beating him so winning stages is realistic although he seems to struggle with the hectic bunch sprints. Of course the mountains are another issue.

What about Van Aert?

I wouldn't take Cavendish unless his legs could handle the mountains
I understand that he's not there for GC or even for the green jersey. But if he's not good enough to finish safely in the gruppetto and make it to Paris in good form, then might as well take another support rider for Alaphilippe or someone who can get in breakaways and win stages

Which is crazy since he used to be good with the sprint train or by himself with the hectic sprint though of course his win % naturally went down.

Ya, maybe they can work something out with Cav and want to back him, but I'd nearly say they'd be better with Ballerini freelancing with Morkov, have Asgreen go in breaks or a sprint spoiler, DeClercq for his work and then have Ala, Cattaneo and two others to help Ala (Devenys is riding well enough to select imo and probably Vansevenant then)

TRENDING THREADS