• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After all Quickstep was a fairly mediocre team 10 years ago until HTC collapsed and they picked up a lot of their staff and those pushed them to modernize and adapt to modern cycling.

really?

That's 22 consecutive years leading the team ranking.

Let that sink in.

Problem is that Bennett isn't reacting to Lefevere (the guy who pays his salary).
If I was Lefevere, I would have fired him already.
Lefevere has been slandering an employee in the media. In most employment contexts, he would hear back through a lawyer. There’s no reason to believe that Bennett has failed to communicate with him after his media outbursts though, beyond Pat snivelling (again of course in the media) that he didn’t get a response to some text.

I mean they are putting out quite a bit of Youtube content these days.

Other than that, I really start to wonder how much of Quicksteps succes over the last years has to do with Lefevre running that team or rather a great team around/just underneath Lefevre running the ship succesfuly despite Lefevre. After all Quickstep was a fairly mediocre team 10 years ago until HTC collapsed and they picked up a lot of their staff and those pushed them to modernize and adapt to modern cycling.
I think this is a very good point, we all act like Quickstep’s stage/sprint/classics domination has been a fact of life, but it’s not that long ago that they were losing a 3v1 to Stannard and Kittel and Greipel were winning 4 and 5 Tour stages for Lotto and Giant.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Lefevere has been slandering an employee in the media. In most employment contexts, he would hear back through a lawyer. There’s no reason to believe that Bennett has failed to communicate with him after his media outbursts though, beyond Pat snivelling (again of course in the media) that he didn’t get a response to some text.
If you (and I quote Patrick Lefevere) haven't got any response from your employee, after you already made clear you have a lot of questions, after you initiate contact and get a message back 'I'm on the bike now' and nothing after that message, one has to wonder what Bennett is aiming for. If he thinks like "I'm injured and recovering and have nothing to say at the moment" is the right way, when your employer clearly wants some explanation, you're doing it wrong.
Or maybe Bennett doesn't want any else than not having to race again this year. Who knows. If he is really this uncertain, and Lefevere is bullying him so much, I would think that Bennett doesn't even dare to show up anymore.

If you (and I quote Patrick Lefevere) haven't got any response from your employee, after you already made clear you have a lot of questions, after you initiate contact and get a message back 'I'm on the bike now' and nothing after that message, one has to wonder what Bennett is aiming for. If he thinks like "I'm injured and recovering and have nothing to say at the moment" is the right way, when your employer clearly wants some explanation, you're doing it wrong.
Or maybe Bennett doesn't want any else than not having to race again this year. Who knows. If he is really this uncertain, and Lefevere is bullying him so much, I would think that Bennett doesn't even dare to show up anymore.

Even if Bennett was in the wrong here (and I'm not sure if he's even stated his side of the story), Lefevre *** called him a mentally weak, deceptive, ungrateful coward in public. You don't do that.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Even if Bennett was in the wrong here (and I'm not sure if he's even stated his side of the story), Lefevre *** called him a mentally weak, deceptive, ungrateful coward in public. You don't do that.
No, you don't do that. I totally agree.

But there is certainly some more background than Lefevere bullying. Bennett knows what Lefevere wants (an explanation), and he doesn't provide one, or maybe worse, he remains silent. He gave the bully a free pass to bully more. If he wants it to stop, he should at least do something. With being silent, he isn't doing himself any favour. In the current scenario, he isn't going to ride a single race this season, and it could very well end with legal action.

Last edited:
Reactions: spalco
Did anyone see the post-race interview with Michael Morkov in which he said that Cav had secretly carried on training as if he were to ride the tour on the offchance that something happened.?
Am I reading too much into that it has the plot just thickened?
I think Cav was quite open about that from what I saw earlier, training in case something happened (not that suprising imo given Bennett had pulled out of Belgium and he'd been called up there)

Reactions: will-10
really?

That's 22 consecutive years leading the team ranking.

Let that sink in.
I mean I was specifically speaking of 10 years ago so not sure what your quoting results from the 90s, early 2000s etc. for?
Even results clearly after what I had been making a point of?

I could've been more clearly though and admit that I shoud have specified that I was mainly talking about their 2011 campaign. They had only 8 victorys, which is pretty bad given their history which you yourself pointed out, and two of them were Curacao champs.
Of course wins only tell part of the story but it's pretty clear that 2011 was a low point to which they reacted and brought in a lot of the staff from the folded HTC team. After which they were only getting better again. That was my point which I hope is clearer now.

I'm well aware of their history and was just trying to make the point that Lefevres staff and performance team might play a more important role than he himself nowadays, a development which could've started back in 2011.

I mean I was specifically speaking of 10 years ago so not sure what your quoting results from the 90s, early 2000s etc. for?
Even results clearly after what I had been making a point of?

I could've been more clearly though and admit that I shoud have specified that I was mainly talking about their 2011 campaign. They had only 8 victorys, which is pretty bad given their history which you yourself pointed out, and two of them were Curacao champs.
Of course wins only tell part of the story but it's pretty clear that 2011 was a low point to which they reacted and brought in a lot of the staff from the folded HTC team. After which they were only getting better again. That was my point which I hope is clearer now.

I'm well aware of their history and was just trying to make the point that Lefevres staff and performance team might play a more important role than he himself nowadays, a development which could've started back in 2011.
I totally messed up, thinking I was backing up my argument with all these links...

I was looking at the team of 2011, and it didn't look awesome to say the least. So I clicked on that icon that said they are the #1 team...
It turns out they weren't #1 that year! That was Leopard-Trek. It turns out you can't decipher, from clicking on a team in a certain year, which one is #1 that year, as you should specifically filter for a certain year.
The #1 symbol in all my links, simply indicates that Quickstep is the current (2021) #1...!

My bad and my apologies! I've done all the work to come up with useless links. :confused2:

So here is my 2nd version of this list, and it looks less impressive:
2007: 9th
2008: 6th
2009: 8th
2010: 9th
2011: 17th
2012: 2nd
2013: 3th
2014: 1st
2015: 3rd
2016: 1st
2017: 1st
2018: 1st
2019: 1st
2020: 1st

So from this list, you are absolutely right. Something changed in 2012. I remember they rode Merckx bikes in 2011, they didn't have a lot of budget, and Boonen still rode on Ambrosio nemesis. Boonen had a very bad year with some crashes, which didn't help getting points.
In 2012, they were on Specialized, they had guys like Senechal, Martin, Kwiatkowski, and a bigger budget with Omega Pharma stepping in.

Title suggestions:

"It's all about Don Patrick"
or
"The elephant among wolves"
:p
»A wolf pack has a definite social structure and rules of conduct. The pack leaders are the alpha male and female. These two animals are dominant over all the other wolves in the pack. The alpha male and female are the only wolves that breed and produce pups in the pack, and they also get to eat first at kills.«

TRENDING THREADS