• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Soudal - Quick Step Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wouldn't even call Lefevere's comments stupid, more like brutal. He knows exactly what he is doing. Stupidity requires the lack of self-awareness.

When Oleg Tinkov made wild comments there was still something unserious and cartoonish about them.

Also stupid in my opinion, because it doesn't look good for sponsors in my eyes, at least some could be kept away. And in the long run riders might eventually ask themselves whether they want to sign there - as long as the team is very successful nobody will care, but if there is a dry spell for some time people might wonder whether this is the team to go to.
He puts his ego above a tactical at least semi-diplomacy, probably because he feels the Bora-return as a personal defeat, and I don't know how well things are going at the moment for him at DQS, other teams seem to be more successful at the moment in signing promising guys?
Also he boasts about how he doesn't need mental help, while others do (although he thinks it's a good thing for others, he of course doesn't need it), that sounds very childish.
I'm all for open talk, but this is pure ego making disrespectful and tasteless remarks.
I'm not saying these things always come back to you - they don't always do. But sometimes they do.

Had he not used the names of the people he spoke of, kept the riders anonymous, the article wouldn't be that bad except for the abused wives statement. The fact that he mentions riders by their names, while those guys are still riding in the peloton (it would be something else had he been talking only of guys of the 80's and 90's), makes it look like a personal dig/attack. In fact, now the article simply reads as an alibi to take a dump on Bennett.

I thought her take was an interesting insight into the mentality of Belgian cycling journalists.
To be honest, that actually did happen with Evenepoel's comments in a long interview in Humo just a few months ago, when he was asked about how Ewan felt about Groenewegen coming back and if he could relate. But a few sentences were taken out of context in tweets and other articles, making it look like Evenepoel started a rant out of the blue, hating on Groenewegen, while basically he was simply agreeing with what Ewan had already said. There the actual journalist also showed her disgust for how that was used to disgrace Evenepoel in a tweet.

I see that Patrick Lefevere roast is in full swing. Not planing to participate in this one as we just did the Moster one. They just keep coming these days and from all spectres.

Out of interest is there a quick list of what Lefevere is accused of? Taking away the usual. Ego, bully, against women? Racist? How bad is it?

Who are the DQ sprint A-train? Mørkøv?

They've loads of choices. In the tour it was Ballerini, Asgreen and Ala before Mørkøv but Lampaert, Remco and another should do the job well in Danmark.
The main trouble will probably be Jumbo and Groenewegen though I suppose Alpecin-Fenix will also bring a strong team.

By the way I thought Steimle did a great lead out for Hodeg the other day.

They've loads of choices. In the tour it was Ballerini, Asgreen and Ala before Mørkøv but Lampaert, Remco and another should do the job well in Danmark.
The main trouble will probably be Jumbo and Groenewegen though I suppose Alpecin-Fenix will also bring a strong team.

By the way I thought Steimle did a great lead out for Hodeg the other day.

Of course Mørkøv isn't a full lead-out train.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For what it's worth, I sent an email to Lidl asking them to look into this matter. In their own Code of Conduct aplicable to their business partners they demand that employees be treated fairly and not be subject to verbal abuse, so they really shouldn't be fine with comments like that.

I don't have any special expectations about the outcome but I hope that at least someone will give it a second thought and some feedback will reach the team if not PL directly...

I see that Patrick Lefevere roast is in full swing. Not planing to participate in this one as we just did the Moster one. They just keep coming these days and from all spectres.

Out of interest is there a quick list of what Lefevere is accused of? Taking away the usual. Ego, bully, against women? Racist? How bad is it?
Good on you for not participating by... posting about the topic? How incredibly restrained of you.

TRENDING THREADS