• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The ear piece should be banned from pro and top ranked amateur cycling

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The ear piece should be banned from pro and top ranked amateur cycling . Bike racing should go back to some grass roots principles. A hard working breakaway struggles to maintain a hard fought lead , only to be reelled in by a peloton that has been told the exact bare minimum needed to catch the breakaway group 1 kilometer from the end of the race . These exact bare minimum speeds calculated on a computer . My bet is a peloton will give up much sooner if they dont know the exact speed they need to catch the break .
The theory , out of sight out of mind , plays a big role . Races would open up to more time differences , especially in a tour.
I believe it leads to better racing and more distinctive time differences in GC overall , less bunch finishes and hopefully less crashes .

Bike racer to Bike racer , what do you all think? Ban the earpiece right along with the dope.:cool:

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
They are already in the process of banning the earpieces and have been for almost a year and a half now, it is a slow but steady process. But it won't help with the breakaway, as there are still motards

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the radio needs to go away for that reason. The current dominant teams crying about rider safety not withstanding. While I don't have any actual evidence to stand by I think there have been more accidents with riders relying on the radios than there were before. Just my opinion.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
In my years of racing, nothing was more dangerous than the moments after a radio communication about road obstacles. Panic sets it, people go down.

The natural flow of the field through a surprise obstacle was always much more fluid and safe.

The motos still leave room for racing to happen.

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
stainlessguy1 said:
The ear piece should be banned from pro and top ranked amateur cycling . Bike racing should go back to some grass roots principles. A hard working breakaway struggles to maintain a hard fought lead , only to be reelled in by a peloton that has been told the exact bare minimum needed to catch the breakaway group 1 kilometer from the end of the race . These exact bare minimum speeds calculated on a computer . My bet is a peloton will give up much sooner if they dont know the exact speed they need to catch the break .
The theory , out of sight out of mind , plays a big role . Races would open up to more time differences , especially in a tour.
I believe it leads to better racing and more distinctive time differences in GC overall , less bunch finishes and hopefully less crashes .

Bike racer to Bike racer , what do you all think? Ban the earpiece right along with the dope.:cool:

The banning of the radio relegates all the team managers and DS's to nothing more than taxi drivers.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think with the earpieces gone , it is a bit harder to get exacting times to the rider . Coaches have to rely on more traditional methods like posting on white boards etc.
They might still use intercom to ground crew , which would be a pain to have people all over the course to do split times . Split times are less accurate so you really do have to rely more on merit .
So a road race goes back to really being a road race in which attempted breakaways are worth it once more .
There isnt much joy in a break attempt , when mathematicly a group can roll over the break group with time to spare.
I think with earpieces gone it will change the type of rider that will win a tour.
Glad they are working on it , does any one know what the hold up is ?:cool:

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:
The banning of the radio relegates all the team managers and DS's to nothing more than taxi drivers.

too many team managers anyway , just makes a team top heavy .
I thought it was supposed to be an athletic event . I sure wouldnt want some coach blurting in my ear all day .
On race day , i get in my office chair , get in the zone and put the hammer down . :cool:

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
washedup said:
In my years of racing, nothing was more dangerous than the moments after a radio communication about road obstacles. Panic sets it, people go down.

The natural flow of the field through a surprise obstacle was always much more fluid and safe.

The motos still leave room for racing to happen.

I agree with that , panic sets in , some have earpieces and some dont. Some work and some have connection problems . :cool:

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
TERMINATOR said:

Not really, domestiques can relay instructions/messages to the team in the peloton, and the DS can go up to their rider if they're in a breakaway. It's how they did it in the past, it worked like that for many, many years.

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
:cool:
Dewulf said:
Not really, domestiques can relay instructions/messages to the team in the peloton, and the DS can go up to their rider if they're in a breakaway. It's how they did it in the past, it worked like that for many, many years.

i agree it worked like that for years and made for good racing , huge margins and honour .
today 3 weeks of racing can come down to seconds for the win after a TT or the like . What is up with that?:cool:

stainlessguy1 said:
:cool:

i agree it worked like that for years and made for good racing , huge margins and honour .
today 3 weeks of racing can come down to seconds for the win after a TT or the like . What is up with that?:cool:

Because its boring. It will probably stay boring with the current riders racing (although there are notable exceptions such as Gilbert), but there will be hope for the next generation.

I mean, Andy Schleck, doing nothing in the Tour because he will attack on the last day :rolleyes: That has nothing to do with ear pieces, but with a general lack of will of the current riders.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm right behind them getting rid of radios. In the tours I don't know if it would make much more difference at the thin end of the GC, but it would be nice to see more often, riders from the smaller teams getting some of the bigger spoils on the transition stages again.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Nederick said:
I'm right behind them getting rid of radios. In the tours I don't know if it would make much more difference at the thin end of the GC, but it would be nice to see more often, riders from the smaller teams getting some of the bigger spoils on the transition stages again.

I agree, you get tired of cavendish and it HTC train picking up yet another win after 4/5 guys who worked their asses of up front got caught within the final 3k..

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Since there will always be those that claim radios make racing safer as an excuse to keep them, the UCI should just change to no team radios and have a neutral radio. It can be broadcast by a race director in a lead car to all the riders on all the teams. Only includes things such as obstacles, crashes, and occasional time splits such as those given by the motards.

That way racing goes back to being a bit more interesting and still those that claim radios are for safety have no valid complaints anymore.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
No more bans. Leave the radios right where they are. Why does everyone feel the need to fix things that ain't broken? This sport is in need of many other "fixes", and radios should not be high on the list at all.
The only reason the authorities that run cycling are on this kick is because they can change the rules, IF THEY WANT TO! It's a CONTROL and IMPOSE issue.
If they want to make races more exciting, put the bonus points back into the formula, then riders won't give spots away at the finish for PR reasons or any other reasons. Then we'll see some real sprints at the Mountain top finishes. Fans of cycling should be far more worried about issues that are truly putting cycling into the dumpster, and radios ain't one of those things.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:
No more bans. Leave the radios right where they are. Why does everyone feel the need to fix things that ain't broken? This sport is in need of many other "fixes", and radios should not be high on the list at all.
The only reason the authorities that run cycling are on this kick is because they can change the rules, IF THEY WANT TO! It's a CONTROL and IMPOSE issue.
If they want to make races more exciting, put the bonus points back into the formula, then riders won't give spots away at the finish for PR reasons or any other reasons. Then we'll see some real sprints at the Mountain top finishes. Fans of cycling should be far more worried about issues that are truly putting cycling into the dumpster, and radios ain't one of those things.

Radios have been the biggest disaster in cycling this past decade. Get rid of them now!!! Riders riding on instinct and knowledge is as much a part of racing as slipstreaming. Not some manger in the team car watching the race on TV dictating the race as he see's it. It reminds me when Georgio Squinzani (spelling???) owner of Team Mapei called in the orders of the placings for his team for the 1996 Paris-Roubaix race from Italy????. Is this what you wish cycling to become??? No more robots on bikes please :mad:

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
nowhereman said:

WEll i dont think radios or no radios will fix the PR of the cycling image .
The reason to ban them is to give some equity to the heavier Flatlander . Tours always favour the lighter climber type of rider . So in the Flats , the heavier horsepower type of rider needs to make his time good that he will loose in the climbing stages . Out of sight out of mind, the peleton does ride slower if they dont actually get a minute man riding in front of them .
No radio , also means lots more work for the domestiques , which protect their climber , That takes the edge off them as well to some extent .
The lighter climber type riders usually arent as good in time trials . Somehow a race should be fair to all .
AFter long races for example around 270 km, there should be decisive breaks and not so much bunch sprinting and crashing right near the end of the race .
What it also means that everyone has to do a bit of work , and no matter how much you protect the captain , he still needs to ride if he wants to win, so non of this towing someone around the entire tour . Yes that means some of the smaller teams can steal some tour stage wins , big money favourites get a run for the money . :cool:

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
boardhanger said:
Radios have been the biggest disaster in cycling this past decade. Get rid of them now!!! Riders riding on instinct and knowledge is as much a part of racing as slipstreaming. Not some manger in the team car watching the race on TV dictating the race as he see's it. It reminds me when Georgio Squinzani (spelling???) owner of Team Mapei called in the orders of the placings for his team for the 1996 Paris-Roubaix race from Italy????. Is this what you wish cycling to become??? No more robots on bikes please :mad:

I agree , this has become more big business and to the degree the teams can guarantee wins and placings for sponsors. The average public doesnt see or notice the difference . It has become all hype and to play the game their way , means spending ooodles of money in the junior ranks just to get to the first sponsorship in amateur races , because it has become unaffordable .
Cycling used to be a poor mans sport , and it was actually a means of transportation 24/7 , but it isnt anymore . :cool:

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Getting rid of radios will only mean the break away gets less leash from the main group and you'll still see them swept up in time for the sprinters to get their sponsor's on the news.

I have to agree with the person who mentioned re-introducing time-bonuses instead. Races are alot less exciting without those, especially when stages are given away in 1 on 1 situations out of kindness. It also gives the top guys no reason to go for it in flat races at all since without them, it makes no difference.

A

Anonymous

Barrus said:
They are already in the process of banning the earpieces and have been for almost a year and a half now, it is a slow but steady process. But it won't help with the breakaway, as there are still motards

Why does a motard sound like someone who has a really underdeveloped moustache?

washedup said:

The ONLY reason I could see keeping race radios is for rider safety. But Washedup's view as a former racer is enlightening. Flies in the face of many a director sportif. Many DSs in the past have claimed the radio helps prevents accidents by giving out information about upcoming road hazards so the riders are not caught by surprise. Well, guess what... that's what pre-race team meetings could be used in part for!

So let's just say the peloton or a large break slows a bit because they know (from the team meeting!) that there's some furniture hazard ahead. That SHOULD create opportunities for someone to jump out of the group and create a more exciting race.

TRENDING THREADS