• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Floyd stage

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone have stage 17 TdF 06 in full anywhere? It was shown all day live but can't find anything other than highlights or just the final climb and descent. Much appreciated, thanks.

A

Anonymous

longest i have is the 55 minutes itv recap

or the two hour wcp recap of stages 16 and 17.. thats enough for me to be honest.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could find it somewhere in dutch commentary. I remenber dutch announcer sjoking about landis taking yellow jersey, 5 hours later they were eating their words. one of the greatest stages in cycling

jens_attacks said:
i've watched it last month again...can't get enough of it

it's spanish.more than 4 hours

the action begins at the base of saisies with phonak's grabsch doing 65 km/h preparing floyd's sprint

http://www.videosdeciclismo.net/buscar.php?v=carrera&carrera=400

I watched it again only about a week ago too :D

Mine is in English (with Phil and Paul), and is nearly three hours. They only show Landis briefly blowing them away on Saises, before picking up the live feed from near the top of that climb (so I see the rest of him catching the leaders and then one by one blowing them off his wheel, with Sinkewitz the last to go at the start of the Ju-plaix).

I got this as a part of a 6 DVD disc 12 hour edition of the race. They do a good job with giving the majority of time to the mountains.

It really was amazing stuff, holding off the peleton like that. But as well as the Clinic stuff (what must Patrick have been thinking of Floyd, given the Freiburg clinic stuff?!), it was allowed to happen due to the reduced strength of the group, and the big teams forced Caisedeparne (spelling?) to do the work for too long. They were down to 7 men, as were CSC and T-Mobile, and Lotto were not strong. I think it was up to CSC to do more earlier. Kloden wasn't on a great day and barely hung on on the Ju-plaix - he may have lost minutes to Perrerio, Evans, etc, if they had ridden even harder earlier. But Sastre was strong, so if CSC do more work earlier maybe Landis gains three less minutes and Carlos wins (or Oscar). It was funny though when even once Voight, Ghonchar and others were pushing the pace desperately, Landis still wasn't losing too much time! And then his strength on the final climb after that long of an ITT was just ridiculous!

gregrowlerson said:
I watched it again only about a week ago too :D

Mine is in English (with Phil and Paul), and is nearly three hours. They only show Landis briefly blowing them away on Saises, before picking up the live feed from near the top of that climb (so I see the rest of him catching the leaders and then one by one blowing them off his wheel, with Sinkewitz the last to go at the start of the Ju-plaix).

I got this as a part of a 6 DVD disc 12 hour edition of the race. They do a good job with giving the majority of time to the mountains.

It really was amazing stuff, holding off the peleton like that. But as well as the Clinic stuff (what must Patrick have been thinking of Floyd, given the Freiburg clinic stuff?!), it was allowed to happen due to the reduced strength of the group, and the big teams forced Caisedeparne (spelling?) to do the work for too long. They were down to 7 men, as were CSC and T-Mobile, and Lotto were not strong. I think it was up to CSC to do more earlier. Kloden wasn't on a great day and barely hung on on the Ju-plaix - he may have lost minutes to Perrerio, Evans, etc, if they had ridden even harder earlier. But Sastre was strong, so if CSC do more work earlier maybe Landis gains three less minutes and Carlos wins (or Oscar). It was funny though when even once Voight, Ghonchar and others were pushing the pace desperately, Landis still wasn't losing too much time! And then his strength on the final climb after that long of an ITT was just ridiculous!

The only reason I want the Lance investigation to come to end is so Floyd can finally make public what his cocktail was the night before that stage.

It was insane but agreed part of him gaining so much time was the indecision back in the peloton.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
(Non clinic)

I think Lance orginally retired 1 year too early, the '06 route was tailor for him and no way on earth does Pereiro get in a 30 minute break or Landis is able to attack like that and get away with it without being chased down in a hurry. Also there were two long TT's in the race, also that would have suited him.

The route was bland in my opinion but made more interesting because of OP, Valverde crashing out, Pereiro being able to gain so much time and Landis cracking and that epic stage and ride of his.

craig1985 said:
(Non clinic)

I think Lance orginally retired 1 year too early, the '06 route was tailor for him and no way on earth does Pereiro get in a 30 minute break or Landis is able to attack like that and get away with it without being chased down in a hurry.

WHy not? Seemed fine with letting Kivilev in the break that won by about a day and a half

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
WHy not? Seemed fine with letting Kivilev in the break that won by about a day and a half

Yeah and I don't think they would have made that mistake again. And besides Pereiro had finished 10th the year before, therefore considered a threat. If they did let him go, I highly doubt it would have been 30 minutes. Maybe 5 or 10 at the most.

craig1985 said:
(Non clinic)

I think Lance orginally retired 1 year too early, the '06 route was tailor for him and no way on earth does Pereiro get in a 30 minute break or Landis is able to attack like that and get away with it without being chased down in a hurry. Also there were two long TT's in the race, also that would have suited him.

The route was bland in my opinion but made more interesting because of OP, Valverde crashing out, Pereiro being able to gain so much time and Landis cracking and that epic stage and ride of his.

....interesting question. Although with OP right before the race & losing both Ullrich & Basso certain preparations might have been dialled back.

L'alpe d'Huez was a mess that year - there were riders all over the place - it was a mess.

If anyone should have won it should have been Levi..... with the right amount of Clinic it was his race.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
there should've been one winner in 2006 and it was kloden but he messed up again. he was in landis wheel on that day of his attack but he decided to drop back the coward that he is thinking it was suicide and tat's why he';s not a champion. if he stayed with landis and even if he losses a couple of minutes in the end he would've won the tour with ease

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Yeah and I don't think they would have made that mistake again. And besides Pereiro had finished 10th the year before, therefore considered a threat. If they did let him go, I highly doubt it would have been 30 minutes. Maybe 5 or 10 at the most.

Fairly regular mistake/underestimation from the USPS guys almost every year - Kivilev is the obvious one but also Voeckler in 04 and Rasmussen in 05 were unexpectedly hard to get rid of.

Ryo Hazuki said:
there should've been one winner in 2006 and it was kloden but he messed up again. he was in landis wheel on that day of his attack but he decided to drop back the coward that he is thinking it was suicide and tat's why he';s not a champion. if he stayed with landis and even if he losses a couple of minutes in the end he would've won the tour with ease

But we saw on Ju-Plaix that Kloden was not on a good day. Sure, he battled through some tough times and guts it out to the top with the yellow jersey, but at times he struggled to even stay with some of his teammates, who without their help he may have fallen back a minute or so from Oscar. If Andreas had tried to go with Landis initially then he would have been more likely to have finished the stage 20 minutes behind than 2.

Kloden lost the TDF more because of his failure to perform up to his potential in the first ITT, and the main Pyrenean stage. This (clinic matters aside) I believe was due to his collarbone injury in around March-April, which meant that he didn't have enough race fitness at the start of the TDF.

what pando guys?take them from megaupload

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I62X347I
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRL2HNVQ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRI2XYEF

again there is no way in hell landis would got 6 minutes on them at the finish if csc and t-mobile would have started the chase 15-20 km earlier.floyd lost 4:15 in a matter of 15 flat kms.yes he was uber strong on joux-plane but i've seen that movie in other tours too no surprise.if cadel wouldn't chase with balls this year and he let verdugo,izaggire and whoever was,andy would have had at the top of galibier 5 minutes on them.floyd's stage was a matter of riding of cojones and as usual "honey,give me everything you find in the house".but he already told you that.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
what pando guys?take them from megaupload

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I62X347I
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRL2HNVQ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VRI2XYEF

again there is no way in hell landis would got 6 minutes on them at the finish if csc and t-mobile would have started the chase 15-20 km earlier.floyd lost 4:15 in a matter of 15 flat kms.yes he was uber strong on joux-plane but i've seen that movie in other tours too no surprise.if cadel wouldn't chase with balls this year and he let verdugo,izaggire and whoever was,andy would have had at the top of galibier 5 minutes on them.floyd's stage was a matter of riding of cojones and as usual "honey,give me everything you find in the house".but he already told you that.

The megaupload links didn't show up with me and Ryo.

There's nearly full version from the Versus broadcast on cyclingtorrents I believe, about 2 1/2 hours long; at least that's what I downloaded some time ago. If nobody is seeding that anymore I'm sure you could ask in the forum and somebody still has it.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:

Exactly. Kloden had won that Tour if he'd have followed Landis. I heard the version that le tour referee equipment acted up at some time because of what the peloton started a real chase 2 minutes later that it was required. Probably it's just a speculation, anyway director sportifs get info from different sources. The most prominent impression perhaps is how Landis got over 9% sections on the Joux Plane whereas Voigt pulled all in on flat, but the gap remained constant. :p