• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Gianni Moscon Bandwagon Jumping Thread

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm surprised that Moscon's taken so long to get a bandwagon started; very strong at under-23 level, including 2nd at the youth Ronde van Vlaanderen and victory in the Italian nationals, before moving over to Team Sky in the in the winter for this, his first season as a pro. He's perfectly suited to the northern classics, and that's been shown vey nicely this season. 18th at Strade Bianche is impressive enough, but he was magnificent as a domestique in Kuurne-Brussels Kuurne and attacked strongly in Nokere Koerse, eventually finishing 7th. That brings us to today's performance, his debut Paris-Roubaix, where he was a key part of Sky's drive for victory. He was well placed enough to follow Martin's acceleration, and chipped in with the peacemaking when the Boonen-Stannard group took off, but he was really impressive after all the groups came back together. As Cancellara and company were driving the chase group on, Moscon's efforts at the front of the race helped to hold them off. Of course, his most notable intervention in the race was his unfortunate crash, which also took out Luke Rowe, but impressively enough for a man whose 22nd birthday is just next week, he got back on his bike! He eventually came in in 38th place - the youngest rider in the top 50. He might well be racing in his homeland for his first GT this May, but what really sticks out is how prominent he's been on the cobblestones and how much stamina he already seems to possess. His peacemaking and moving up the bunch have been hard to miss, and while his strength has not been translated into results as eye-catching as Benoot's last year, he's made up for it with his willing self-sacrifice. He'll most likely stay on the domestique duty he's excelled at so far this year for a few seasons yet, since Ian Stannard is 28 and Luke Rowe 26; it will be fascinating to see if he graduates to duelling with his fellow major young talents like Benoot, Stuyven, Theuns, Küng, and Cort Nielsen.

Anyone else aboard the hype train?

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Before turning pro Moscon only race on the cobbles once (as far as I know), he got a 2nd place in the Ronde van Vlaanderen Beloften, so it's not like he already had lots of experience on the cobbles.

Probably the best italian talent for Classics since Paolo Bettini. Amazing race awareness and versatility, last week he was riding on De Ronde walls like he was an experienced veteran. Good climbing skills as well. I don't even think domestique duties will hamper his chances in the coming years. Results will come regardless if he keeps improving.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Nirvana said:
Moscon and Benoot in my opinion are not only classic riders, they showed also good climbing early this season (Benoot in Algarve and Moscon in Coppi e Bartali).

As a youth, Benoot got excellent results in the Ardennes, and I hope he tries to challenge there in the future: he certainly is an excellent climber, and Moscon was impressive as well in Coppi e Bartali.
SafeBet said:
Probably the best italian talent for Classics since Paolo Bettini. Amazing race awareness and versatility, last week he was riding on De Ronde walls like he was an experienced veteran. Good climbing skills as well. I don't even think domestique duties will hamper his chances in the coming years. Results will come regardless if he keeps improving.

Agreed.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Cannibal72 said:
He'll most likely stay on the domestique duty he's excelled at so far this year for a few seasons yet, since Ian Stannard is 28 and Luke Rowe 26; it will be fascinating to see if he graduates to duelling with his fellow major young talents like Benoot, Stuyven, Theuns, Küng, and Cort Nielsen.
Ian Stannard is only 28? Wow, I remember when he joined T-Mobile as a stagiaire. He seems to have been around like forever.

Ah, the good old magenta days...

CheckMyPecs said:
Cannibal72 said:
He'll most likely stay on the domestique duty he's excelled at so far this year for a few seasons yet, since Ian Stannard is 28 and Luke Rowe 26; it will be fascinating to see if he graduates to duelling with his fellow major young talents like Benoot, Stuyven, Theuns, Küng, and Cort Nielsen.
Ian Stannard is only 28? Wow, I remember when he joined T-Mobile as a stagiaire. He seems to have been around like forever.

Ah, the good old magenta days...

He actually rode for Van Vliet-EBH Advocaten in 2006, prior to T-Mobile. The fact he seemed older is not helped by the fact he's always had the same hair (ie not much). So if you subscribe to the miles-on-the-clock theory rather than simple age being when a rider reaches their peak or is past it, Stannard is more like in his early thirties and may not have another ten opportunities to win P-R.

Re:

SafeBet said:

Pls don't change your avatar for him :p

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Moscon already has a nice nickname, Il trattore della Val di Non (the tractor from the Non-Valley) , he comes from a family of apple farmers. :)
The 14th place in the Ruta del Sol ITT was a big surprise, he finished 11th in the 2014 U23 NC ITT (1min behind Davide Martinelli), but other than that he only rode a few Prologues and TTTs as an amateur.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Moscon already has a nice nickname, Il trattore della Val di Non (the tractor from the Non-Valley) , he comes from a family of apple farmers. :)
The 14th place in the Ruta del Sol ITT was a big surprise, he finished 11th in the 2014 U23 NC ITT (1min behind Davide Martinelli), but other than that he only rode a few Prologues and TTTs as an amateur.

Isn't nickname supposed to be catchy? :p

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
He was considered (I think) but the final squad from PCS is Landa, König, Sergio Henao, Kiriyenka, Lopez, Knees, Viviani, Boswell, Sebastian Henao. König's not raced yet this year, however, so I hope he can make it in.

To add to the interesting facts file: he's currently studying industrial engineering. Respect.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
SafeBet said:

Pls don't change your avatar for him :p
I promised somewhere that I wouldn't change my avatar until Moreno gets back to his dominant self, which will probably never happen so you shouldn't worry.

Hopefully he won't ride any GT this year. Much better to get some opportunities in smaller races.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
TMP402 said:
yaco said:
Question is whether Moscon will be allowed to develop at Sky
Seems to be that you can't be a serious rider till you are 27+

Like 26 year old Rowe?!

How long has Rowe been at Sky.

Fact is Sky don't allow young riders freedom.

That's not really a fact. In their first years Edmondson and Dombrowski were given freedom in races as big as TdS, also in Beijing; Boswell led them in Tour of Austria and Pro Challenge in his first year. Likewise Puccio in races like Tour of Luxembourg. Seb Henao was given complete freedom in THE GIRO as a neo pro. Moscon is quite clearly being given freedom in all sorts of races.

TRENDING THREADS