• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 138 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does any top sprinter except the UAE boys race without Aero frames?
I'm not saying aero frames don't give any advantage for the sprinters. They do, but it's just not as significant as one might think. Certainly not significant enough to use as an excuse for the average performances of the UAE sprinters.

You could also ask a question like this: does any top GC rider except Pogacar race without disc brakes? (ok, ok, Ineos guys do)

Last edited:
In Viviani's words:

"I am going back there because I want to be sure, at 32 years old, and go back to a team that I know - the mechanisms, the organisations and everything," he said. "I want to have nothing to think about - just thinking about performance."

[...]

"There were two roads, Deceuninck or Ineos, and the project of Ineos was much bigger for me, and the relationship with Filippo [Ganna] helped a lot in this contract and in this choice," Viviani said.

"Now I'm different, also Ineos is different I think, so it's going to be a good format. They want to win more, I want to win more, so that is our middle point. Winning races. It's easy to say, but what I understand from the two years at Cofidis is what looks easy is never easy.”

Luckily her recovery seems to be going well.

Judging from their social media posts I suspect Emma Langley and Emily Newsom will be the final two riders who are staying with the team, unless Ewers counts as a new signing (she has only been a guest rider this year).
Abi Smith also guested/was a stagiare with Tibco at the end of the season. She had a fairly decent run in the races she did with them, including a 7th ahead of Ewers at the Women's Tour. In a similar situation, I'd presume she's signed a full contract for 2022 as she shared the video about EF and Tibco joining up in her social media.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
According to La Gazzetta Jakub Mareczko is going to Alpecin.
A bit strange, but I guess he's not that expensive and has some upside. Still, how many sprinters do they want to have on that team? Perhaps they signed him so that Merlier no longer feels bad for being the worst climber on the team...
I guess he'll pick up points in races in Turkey, the middle east and lower Italian stage races. Don't forget that Fenix is an Italian sponsor aswell.

Which shortcomings?

Surviving stages with more than +500m of climbing.

But to be honest he's been improving his climbing for the past years. I didn't follow him as much as in his first years with Scinto, but back then one of his biggest issue was positioning, being in a good position when the sprint started and the overall lack of a proper train in Southeast. The Alpecin machine can help a lot with that, I think.

I'm going to be bold here but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a stage win in next year's Giro.

But to be honest he's been improving his climbing for the past years. I didn't follow him as much as in his first years with Scinto, but back then one of his biggest issue was positioning and being in a good position when the sprint started. The Alpecin machine can help a lot with that, I think.

I'm going to be bold here but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a stage win in next year's Giro.
Jakub shouldn't have stopped riding track after being a good track rider in the junior ranks.
Also shows how meaningless all those wins in the U23 ranks are, pretty much all of those came in plain flat crits. The Italian developmental system isn't good as producing pure sprinters who can actually survive a hill or two, you're better off signing guys who raced for an u23 team outside of italy or those who were more one day racers than pure sprinters (like Consonni).

But to be honest he's been improving his climbing for the past years. I didn't follow him as much as in his first years with Scinto, but back then one of his biggest issue was positioning, being in a good position when the sprint started and the overall lack of a proper train in Southeast. The Alpecin machine can help a lot with that, I think.

I also think he's a rider with more potential than his results show. I suppose his success of next year depends on the opportunities and support Alpecin give him.
Well, thanks for explaining; I often only follow the top riders and don't know much about the others.

I also think he's a rider with more potential than his results show. I suppose his success of next year depends on the opportunities and support Alpecin give him.
Well, thanks for explaining; I often only follow the top riders and don't know much about the others.

Oh, I thought your "which shortcomings?" post was meant as a joke, hence my reaction. But yeah, he has been very poor in everything else than sprinting so far in his career (that includes positioning for the sprint, unfortunately for him).

TRENDING THREADS