• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kinda obvious that Alex has some internal knowledge of Astana, either due to being Vinokourov himself or having a friend doing the laundry for Vadim Pronskiy.

More news regarding Qhubeka: Michaelsen says they have a pool of 100 riders to choose from and they have more than half of the roster (27-28 riders) already built for next season.

11 riders are confirmed for next year as of now, with Gasparotto expected to sign for one final season as a pro, Clarke and Claeys are unofficialy committed to the team, with Aru also heavily linked (personally, I think he would be better in Vini Zabu). I could see Wyss renewing for a final season too (BMC is staying and they need more riders)

My guess on riders who could be joining are Vermote, Hollenstein, McCarthy. It seems Prades is leaving Movistar, so he could be a good signing too if he has not a deal with any Spanish PCT yet.

Last edited:
Still a very poor WorldTour Team. Alpecin are much better.
What a soure reaction. What are you doing on this forum ? Circus Wanty Gobert is a modest team, but performs well on a limited budget. And invests in the future. In a not so distant past, Alpecin was an insignificant cycling team. With only a top cyclocrosser. The last year, Alpecin, is evolving to a subtopper. Circus Wanty Gobert is going in the same direction.

What a soure reaction. What are you doing on this forum ? Circus Wanty Gobert is a modest team, but performs well on a limited budget. And invests in the future. In a not so distant past, Alpecin was an insignificant cycling team. With only a top cyclocrosser. The last year, Alpecin, is evolving to a subtopper. Circus Wanty Gobert is going in the same direction.

What I am doing in this forum? Sigh... What are you doing? Apart from claiming to have superior knowledge due to having followed the sport for 60 years or whatever it was.

Wanty will be one of the weakest teams in the WorldTour history (I remind you, they will be in the top tier next year as opposed to this). WorldTour Teams should not be investing in the future, they should be competitive in the now. Also, there's not much future in guys like Bakelants, the van Poppel brothers, Meintjes, Pasqualon and Taaramäe, so what you say isn't even true.

Alpecin as a ProTeam (that is, one category below) will be much, much stronger. It's a pity that the best teams are not in the top flight, even if Alpecin will have the opportunity to do all the races they want thanks to having won the ProTeam Ranking this year.

What I am doing in this forum? Sigh... What are you doing? Apart from claiming to have superior knowledge due to having followed the sport for 60 years or whatever it was.

Wanty will be one of the weakest teams in the WorldTour history (I remind you, they will be in the top tier next year as opposed to this). WorldTour Teams should not be investing in the future, they should be competitive in the now. Also, there's not much future in guys like Bakelants, the van Poppel brothers, Meintjes, Pasqualon and Taaramäe, so what you say isn't even true.

Alpecin as a ProTeam (that is, one category below) will be much, much stronger. It's a pity that the best teams are not in the top flight, even if Alpecin will have the opportunity to do all the races they want thanks to having won the ProTeam Ranking this year.
And again, a rude and disrespectful comment. The same level as Logic-is-your-friend. Alpecin has the ability and the financial means to become a Pro Team. So, mr smart ass, why doesn't make Alpecin the move ? Nevertheless, I have all the respect for Alpecin, unlike you, regarding Circus Wanty Gobert. But Alpecin depends entirely on van der Poel. When he should fall away due to adversity, only a few stage wins remain (Merlier, Philipsen)

Reactions: pastronef
And again, a rude and disrespectful comment. The same level as Logic-is-your-friend. Alpecin has the ability and the financial means to become a Pro Team. So, mr smart ass, why doesn't make Alpecin the move ? Nevertheless, I have all the respect for Alpecin, unlike you, regarding Circus Wanty Gobert. But Alpecin depends entirely on van der Poel. When he should fall away due to adversity, only a few stage wins remain (Merlier, Philipsen)

Philipsen and Merlier are much better than the best in Wanty, yet they're a category below.

Let me remind you that you were the one to start being disrespectful, of course I then replied more tetchily than I would have done if you didn't initiate contact to me asking me what I was doing on this forum because I had stated that Circus-Wanty Gobert will be a very poor WorldTeam (which is objectively a very reasonable statement).

Maybe it would be a good idea to enter the forum in a bit more respectful manner.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Alpecin has the ability and the financial means to become a Pro Team. So, mr smart ass, why doesn't make Alpecin the move ?

Just butting in here. Is it possible that the reason Alpecin doesn't apply for WorldTeam status - as opposed to ProTeam status, which they have - is that they are, if not primarily a cross team, then at least just as much a cross team, as they are a road team? They might not want to have to divert ressources to send a team to Australia while the cross season is still in full swing. Of course, next year that won't be an issue, but normally....

Kinda obvious that Alex has some internal knowledge of Astana, either due to being Vinokourov himself or having a friend doing the laundry for Vadim Pronskiy.

My guess on riders who could be joining are Vermote, Hollenstein, McCarthy. It seems Prades is leaving Movistar, so he could be a good signing too if he has not a deal with any Spanish PCT yet.

At this point if Prades was going to be re-signed by Movistar it would have already happened. I haven't seen any announcement from any of the Spanish PCT teams that he is signing with any of them so as of right now he still doesn't have a contract.

Just butting in here. Is it possible that the reason Alpecin doesn't apply for WorldTeam status - as opposed to ProTeam status, which they have - is that they are, if not primarily a cross team, then at least just as much a cross team, as they are a road team? They might not want to have to divert ressources to send a team to Australia while the cross season is still in full swing. Of course, next year that won't be an issue, but normally....

Yeah, I think they are very happy with their situation as of now. If I'm not mistaken, Alpecin (as best ProTeam) now have starting rights for every WorldTour race but they don't have the obligation to start in uninteresting WorldTour races all over the globe.

This is obviously a very luxurious position as they can cherrypick the WorldTour races they want to ride and don't lose time/resources for other races.

At this point if Prades was going to be re-signed by Movistar it would have already happened. I haven't seen any announcement from any of the Spanish PCT teams that he is signing with any of them so as of right now he still doesn't have a contract.

I'm a bit puzzled, he is a very good rider for the Spanish calendar and much better than some riders staying at the team. He also uses to score a couple of win per year.

Maybe he did not fit very well in the team (very poor calendar after Covid Lockdown, no GT in his two year stint at Movistar).

I'm a bit puzzled, he is a very good rider for the Spanish calendar and much better than some riders staying at the team. He also uses to score a couple of win per year.

Maybe he did not fit very well in the team (very poor calendar after Covid Lockdown, no GT in his two year stint at Movistar).

There is one big reason why he wouldn't get re-signed when it would make sense to re-sign him and that is if his agent is Aquadro. Unless Marc Soler changes agents before next year he won't be staying at Movistar after 2021.

There is one big reason why he wouldn't get re-signed when it would make sense to re-sign him and that is if his agent is Aquadro. Unless Marc Soler changes agents before next year he won't be staying at Movistar after 2021.

I thought we established that the real reason they're (likely) not going to re-sign him, is that you don't know who his agent is.

I thought we established that the real reason they're (likely) not going to re-sign him, is that you don't know who his agent is.

I don't know who most riders agents are. Obviously Lopez has someone else for an agent as they are talking to him.

On a more interesting note Valverde Team just signed a young Ecuadorian kid to their U-23/Elite team for next year. The kid's name is Alexis Benjamín Quinteros. They said that signing him has closed the signing for their teams for next year.

TRENDING THREADS