• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 230 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looking at riders out of contract, some of the Italians offer great value for the money, I don't expect any of the guys that I'm gonna mention to be on a huge salary.

You a sprinter who can go toe to toe with the fastest guys and doesn't cost a ton of money? There's Dainese!
Your team needs a strong rouleur for the flat/to protect a gc rider? There's Affini!
You want a strong climbing domestique? There's Fabbro!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looking at riders out of contract, some of the Italians offer great value for the money, I don't expect any of the guys that I'm gonna mention to be on a huge salary.

You a sprinter who can go toe to toe with the fastest guys and doesn't cost a ton of money? There's Dainese!
Your team needs a strong rouleur for the flat/to protect a gc rider? There's Affini!
I think Jumbo should be eager to extend Affini. Van Emden is also end of contract and he he's gonna be around for much longer. I also think he's a great player within the team considering he was given the red jersey in the Vuelta.

Does Simone Velasco have a team for next season? His rides in Liege and Valencia were both excellent.

Do you want a guy that score a 1000 UCI points if used correctly? There's Albanese.

Guy is really underrated.

I think Jumbo should be eager to extend Affini. Van Emden is also end of contract and he he's gonna be around for much longer. I also think he's a great player within the team considering he was given the red jersey in the Vuelta.
I think they should extend his contract. Rumour has it that UAE are also interested in signing him. That would actually make sense, since those kind of riders are what the team is still lacking (besides Bjerg).

Does Simone Velasco have a team for next season? His rides in Liege and Valencia were both excellent.
Apparently he's out of contract too. He was always known for his big engine. In the u23 ranks he was already on the same team as Moscon and people said that his engine was in the same league. He had Mono related problems for over 1 year and a half shortly after turning pro and got back on track on Scinto's team and Gazprom.
The guy won Laigueglia with a 40km solo back in 2019, at the age of 23.

Yeah I think Albanese is ready to step up to a WT team.
Eolo did wonders for him, after he looked like a wasted talent for long, but I guess it's time.
What talent wasn't ruined at Bardiani after Ciccone? They have turned things around this year, but let's not pretend that they weren't as bad a Lampre during their prime when it came to ruining talented young Italian riders...

Reactions: StryderHells
I think they should extend his contract. Rumour has it that UAE are also interested in signing him. That would actually make sense, since those kind of riders are what the team is still lacking (besides Bjerg).

Apparently he's out of contract too. He was always known for his big engine. In the u23 ranks he was already on the same team as Moscon and people said that his engine was in the same league. He had Mono related problems for over 1 year and a half shortly after turning pro and got back on track on Scinto's team and Gazprom.
The guy won Laigueglia with a 40km solo back in 2019, at the age of 23.
Bjerg is a lot more multipurpose than Affini, but yeah.

Pure flat domestique isn't actually the role that's often gonna make or break your team, but I think it helps your team a lot in GTs if that type of rider can at least climb at a Luke Rowe pace, which I don't Affini can. There's a reason Affini doesn't make it into the Tour squad.

There's obviously only one Van Aert, but I remember being somewhat surprised UAE weren't interested in Kung last year.

What talent wasn't ruined at Bardiani after Ciccone? They have turned things around this year, but let's not pretend that they weren't as bad a Lampre during their prime when it came to ruining talented young Italian riders...
Which is weird as they had a reputation as a farm team back in the day.
But that was also due to the rotten Locatelli connection wasn't it?

Bjerg is a lot more multipurpose than Affini, but yeah.

Pure flat domestique isn't actually the role that's often gonna make or break your team, but I think it helps your team a lot in GTs if that type of rider can at least climb at a Luke Rowe pace, which I don't Affini can. There's a reason Affini doesn't make it into the Tour squad.

There's obviously only one Van Aert, but I remember being somewhat surprised UAE weren't interested in Kung last year.

UAE tried to signed Kung last year together with DSM. But lost to GFDJ

Which is weird as they had a reputation as a farm team back in the day.
But that was also due to the rotten Locatelli connection wasn't it?
At one point I was thinking that it was the Italian system, having guys train like pros already in the junior ranks and being burned out after turning pro. But then you see guys like Albanese and Velasco getting so much better after leaving, at that point it's the team and not their recruitment/the junior and u23 teams.

Not sure about the Locatelli thing, not that many of their riders came directly from his team. I can really only think of Pirazzi and the two Sterbini's turning pro with them directly after riding for Palazzago. Pozzovivo actually got his best u23 results after leaving them and going to Zalf before turning pro. They always seemed to sign more guys from Zalf and Colpack.

Reactions: staubsauger
Is this even confirmed? Just seemed like Kung's manager faked interest from a lot of teams to get more money out of FDJ. Simple Football tactics.
Might be true. The main reason why he shouldn't leave is that he probably gets payed well and is a team leader/co-leader in every cobbled classic. Pogacar being such a Cannibal and also wanting to win all the spring classics probably makes UAE a lot less appealing for those kind of riders.

Why wouldn't there be a lot of interest in him?

Ofcourse there is interest but he was still under a contract. Out of nowhere there was a story that Kung desperately wanted to leave FDJ cause he was unhappy and DSM was going to buy him out and then 3 weeks later he signed a new contract with them and seemed perfectly happy. I don't know, just really felt like his manager did his job to try and get the most money he could out of FDJ.

Who would be interested? The trainwreck that is Astana (atm) or Trek sound like the most logical destinations. That said, Giro leader on a French WT team always sounds like a great gig to me.
Giro leader on French WT team is my 2nd most desired gig right behind 3rd goal keeper of top football club.

Tbh it entirely depends on what demands he has but he probably can be a solid climbing domestique too, but for a guy like him I don't know how much money they go for.

He's also at a team where you might have hope that your own training methods etc just make him a better rider as well.

Giro leader on French WT team is my 2nd most desired gig right behind 3rd goal keeper of top football club.

Tbh it entirely depends on what demands he has but he probably can be a solid climbing domestique too, but for a guy like him I don't know how much money they go for.

He's also at a team where you might have hope that your own training methods etc just make him a better rider as well.
Now I have to think about that 3rd goalkeeper of Parma back in the 90ies who got caught with a hematocrit of 63%. :D

It wasn't a bad gig for Pozzovivo, Gadret & Betancur. But AG2R was a better team back then.

Does Eolo really offer a lower paycheck than AG2R & Astana these days?
I mean, the talk about going WT stopped when most of the company was sold to a Swiss investment fund, so I don't think that their budget is that big.
From what I've heared they are in talks with Air Malta to come on board as a co-sponsor.

Reactions: staubsauger

TRENDING THREADS