• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 231 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
At one point I was thinking that it was the Italian system, having guys train like pros already in the junior ranks and being burned out after turning pro. But then you see guys like Albanese and Velasco getting so much better after leaving, at that point it's the team and not their recruitment/the junior and u23 teams.

Not sure about the Locatelli thing, not that many of their riders came directly from his team. I can really only think of Pirazzi and the two Sterbini's turning pro with them directly after riding for Palazzago. Pozzovivo actually got his best u23 results after leaving them and going to Zalf before turning pro. They always seemed to sign more guys from Zalf and Colpack.

I am guessing that Jayco will want to recontract Sobrero - It helps that his parents own a winery and Jayco's team owner Gerry Ryan is also in the wine business.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Now I have to think about that 3rd goalkeeper of Parma back in the 90ies who got caught with a hematocrit of 63%. :D
I have a Parma shirt of Veron. Late 90's Parma was a different beast - Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Veron, Crespo etc. And that jersey is one of the absolute best ever. He went on to win a Scudetto with Lazio, and Parma... I don't know what happened, but it wasnt good.

I have a Parma shirt of Veron. Late 90's Parma was a different beast - Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Veron, Crespo etc. And that jersey is one of the absolute best ever. He went on to win a Scudetto with Lazio, and Parma... I don't know what happened, but it wasnt good.
Parma was beastly back then. They were also great in the early 2000s when they had Muto and a young Adriano (Imperador). Adriano was a monster, but after his father died he became an alcoholic...

• Sad

The great thing is that Buffon also plays for Parma now. And no, not some weird RhD joke, the actual Gianluigi Buffon.

Parma was beastly back then. They were also great in the early 2000s when they had Muto and a young Adriano (Imperador). Adriano was a monster, but after his father died he became an alcoholic...

They were pretty good in the beginning of the 90s. Winning Coppa Italia in the 1991-1992 season and finished sixth in the league. The year before they had finished fith after being promoted to Serie A.

They then won the European Cup Winners' Cup in the 1992-1993 season. They reached the final again in the following year, but lost to Arsenal.

Parma had my fellow Swede Tomas Brolin playing for them during this time. One of the most talented players we have had. He had a great world cup in 94, like our whole team who won bronze, but injured himself in the fall. He moved on to Leeds but had a difficult time there and was never the same again after that. Mostly because of the injury he had suffered in the fall of 94.

Reactions: Lui98
They were pretty good in the beginning of the 90s. Winning Coppa Italia in the 1991-1992 season and finished sixth in the league. The year before they had finished fith after being promoted to Serie A.

They then won the European Cup Winners' Cup in the 1992-1993 season. They reached the final again in the following year, but lost to Arsenal.

Parma had my fellow Swede Tomas Brolin playing for them during this time. One of the most talented players we have had. He had a great world cup in 94, like our whole team who won bronze, but injured himself in the fall. He moved on to Leeds but had a difficult time there and was never the same again after that. Mostly because of the injury he had suffered in the fall of 94.
Thats true, but the pure superstar power names they had going in that time was quite spectacular for a club like Parma. You can also add Ortega, Amoroso and Dino Baggio to the list I posted earlier.

Buffon went on to possibly be the GOAT in goal. Thuram was one of the absolute best fullbacks/centrebacks for a period of probably 10 years and was one of the most important players on those national teams that won WC and Euros. Both of those players went on to sign for Juve after they cashed in on Zidane and woulda dominated the Italian league even more if not for Calciopoli.

The same can be said for Cannavaro and he obviously won the Ballon d'Or in 06 when truthfully he probably wasnt in his prime. Anyways, I always thought Nesta was a level above, but nevertheless a world class centreback for about a decade.

Veron was quite possibly the best central midfielder at Lazio in the world for a couple of seasons (at least one of them), but failed at United for various reasons. Extremely dynamic and versatile and could do everything on a football pitch in his prime.

Crespo was the hottest striker apart from Ronaldo, young, complete and could score in every way. Went to Lazio as well for a big ass fee, just as Veron, and was a true number 9. Problem was the same as Veron, when he went to England it went downhill, but still pure class.

Reactions: Lui98
Pogacar's man at UAE Allan Peiper will work closely with Jayco AlUla, a team from his home country Australia, with Brent Copeland, Marco Pinotti and Matthew White, among others. The ex-pro will start immediately. UAE might give away the secret sauce recipe.

Pogacar's man at UAE Allan Peiper will work closely with Jayco AlUla, a team from his home country Australia, with Brent Copeland, Marco Pinotti and Matthew White, among others. The ex-pro will start immediately. UAE might give away the secret sauce recipe.
Peiper will bring much needed expertise to an under-performing program - he especially needs to look at the women's team.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastronef
Intermarche just announced a small extension:

• Haha
Reactions: Anderis