• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 234 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, in case of Van Wilder, i know he really wants to stay, and the team really wants him to stay, negotiations are close to finished. But i understand what you mean.
I don't know exactly how much more money Soudal is forking up and if that might make a real difference, but they already have Vervaeke, Vansevenant, Serry, Cattaneo... the need for 1 more top level domestique is much larger than for 2 or 3 good allround domestiques that climb well imho.
Ok, I didn't know about the Van Wilder situation. I do agree that their team is already pretty good and only one top level domestique is needed.

Well, in case of Van Wilder, i know he really wants to stay, and the team really wants him to stay, negotiations are close to finished. But i understand what you mean.
I don't know exactly how much more money Soudal is forking up and if that might make a real difference, but they already have Vervaeke, Vansevenant, Serry, Cattaneo... the need for 1 more top level domestique is much larger than for 2 or 3 good allround domestiques that climb well imho.
van Wilder will a great superdom for Remco, but for a future Tour-punt that team is nowhere near the required level

van Wilder will a great superdom for Remco, but for a future Tour-punt that team is nowhere near the required level

They need at least two or maybe even three new riders for the supporting cast. Some solid and half-decent climbing support. Keep Van Wilder as a super-dom, if they can contain him to that role for the time being.

Vervaeke, Serry, Cattaneo... these guys are over the hill.

Hirt looks like a bad signing as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: laarsland
The point was that getting Fabbro will not make any difference in that regard.

They need one extra superdomestique, not 2 or 3 lower level doms. Someone like De Plus would fit that role. Then they would have De Plus, Van Wilder, Hirt as potential helpers on the last climb. As long as the leader is strong enough, that should suffice. After all those riders are gone, his rivals will only have 1 or 2 domestiques who are not close in GC with them at best. Say Roglic with Kuss or Pogacar with Vine. What happens next will not be because he lacks domestiques, but because he needs to be strong enough to follow his rivals.

Last edited:
Luke Lamperti, the promising American all-rounder, keeps racking up wins and that’s drawing attention from top WorldTour teams. Sources say Lamperti, who’s won two stages so far in this week’s Tour of Japan, is picking up interest from several leading teams, including Soudal Quick-Step, Jumbo-Visma, EF Education-EasyPost, Bora-Hansgrohe, and UAE Team Emirates.

Yes what a season he is having right now!!

Very promising rider and both for sprints and classics.

Not the first Chilean I had in mind to be signed by a big team, but Vicente Rojas has signed with Bardiani for 2024, though it's in the cards he could debut this year already. He was 16th overall in San Juan, he's the U23 Pan-American champion, but has been racking in some good results in the Spanish amateur scene too with Froiz. Furthermore, he was 5th on the mythical Cristo Redentor. I need Hector Quintana on a team next.

Is Felix Gall still on the market or does he resign with Ag2r?

That could be the type of rider that QS should go for. Still developing with great chances of being a good 3 week domestique for Remco and fill some of the blanks were they can't really field a GC contender in one weeks.

Also it would surprise no one if Bora is interested as they had almost all good Austrian riders under contract at one point and right now that Austrian faction is a bit depleted in their team. As Konrad transitioned away from being a GC rider I think there is also some room left as in some races this year they missed a rider that can get a result (also due to Schachmann and Jungels getting sick). Konrad is not extended yet and I saw no confirmation anywhere that he will stay for sure so that should be also a target for QS as he is still clearly a rider that would make the Remco squad better. Maybe Hirt can climb better then him when he's on but the combination that Konrad brings to the table imo better than what Masnada can give you (I know...how dare I :tearsofjoy: ). Fabbro is of course totally useless if you want to get serious with GTs.

For lamperti I hope a second tier team signs him so that he doesn't is one of many in the teams of the big 3. Lidl-Trek or EF can't let that happen.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is Felix Gall still on the market or does he resign with Ag2r?

That could be the type of rider that QS should go for. Still developing with great chances of being a good 3 week domestique for Remco and fill some of the blanks were they can't really field a GC contender in one weeks.

Also it would surprise no one if Bora is interested as they had almost all good Austrian riders under contract at one point and right now that Austrian faction is a bit depleted in their team. As Konrad transitioned away from being a GC rider I think there is also some room left as in some races this year they missed a rider that can get a result (also due to Schachmann and Jungels getting sick). Konrad is not extended yet and I saw no confirmation anywhere that he will stay for sure so that should be also a target for QS as he is still clearly a rider that would make the Remco squad better. Maybe Hirt can climb better then him when he's on but the combination that Konrad brings to the table imo better than what Masnada can give you (I know...how dare I :tearsofjoy: ). Fabbro is of course totally useless if you want to get serious with GTs.

For lamperti I hope a second tier team signs him so that he doesn't is one of many in the teams of the big 3. Lidl-Trek or EF can't let that happen.
Gall did a training camp with them after winning the junior WC and Konrad rode for their developmental team alongside Ala, so there's a connection. That said, I don't rate Konrad in the high mountains, he's a mini-Valverde.

That said, after this season Gall might get the role as Ag2r's main guy for the Giro and main guy for the Giro on a French team is a great gig.

Reactions: Sandisfan and repre
Not the first Chilean I had in mind to be signed by a big team, but Vicente Rojas has signed with Bardiani for 2024, though it's in the cards he could debut this year already. He was 16th overall in San Juan, he's the U23 Pan-American champion, but has been racking in some good results in the Spanish amateur scene too with Froiz. Furthermore, he was 5th on the mythical Cristo Redentor. I need Hector Quintana on a team next.
This, bring Hector Quintana to Europe!
I think some of the Bolivians like Eduardo Moyata and Wilber Rodriguez would deserve a chance on an European developmental/CT team.

Last edited:
Sponsor transfer: Trek-Segafredo will become Lidl-Trek as per 1-7-2023
With Eolo-Kometa looking for a new title sponsor that hopefully means that Segafredo is considering jumping ship. Still mad that they never did any "how's that coffee, Contador?" commercials when Alberto rode for Trek-Segafredo (they never did anything with Nibali either, one would think that you's at least use him in some of your commercials).

With Eolo the writing was on the wall, after most of the company was bought by Swiss investors/a Swiss investment fund all the talk about them going WT in the coming years suddenly stopped.