• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 219 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The UCI list is still missing Soren Kragh Andersen.

Regarding Laurance's options to step up early, the team may also be looking to see if Rickaert manages to fully recover from his injury. Sinkeldam must have been brought in at last minute to be a backup option in the leadout department.

Kastelijn's future is more likely to be on the road - and CX for fun/training; she's never been technically brilliant, but that doesn't matter on the road.
Really pleased she's been able to establish herself as a road rider as that's been an obvious route for her for a few years now. As you say, pretty awful technically, but good power on the flat, and one of the best climbers in CX on a non-muddy course.

Reactions: StryderHells
30 British riders in the WT next year, if Cav signs for Astana. Would have seemed impossible 12-15 years ago.
It's been quite the transformation over the last decade, and probably largely due to the success of Sky/Ineos? The increased publicity/profile of cycling in The UK, and showing young riders it's possible to make a, albeit short-lived, career in the sport.

Sadly, the British domestic scene is in as bad a state as I can remember. I think it's only three conti teams next year? But not sure how much that's going to matter as so many riders come from track, increasingly CX, or just bypass the UK teams and go straight into European youth/devo squads?

As per Wielerflits in an interview with Aike Visbeek (Manager of Wanty):

• Bonifazio signed for the minimum WT wage.
  • They can only offer Pozzovivo a bit more than the minimum WT wage. Both parties wanted to extend the contract but Pozzovivo refuses (at the moment) to take such a low salary, which Visbeek understands.
  • They still want to add a 30th rider (preferably a climber). They are/were also interested on B&B riders but again they are very limited on funds.

well, no, Wanty should have made an appropriate offer earlier on instead of hoping to keep him as a bargain.

With his qualifications, he can probably earn more than minimum wage in a normal job. There's no need to continue with a team which doesn't value him anyway.

What do you not understand about them literally not having the budget to give him more.

Also a minimum WT salary is still a pretty good salary for e normal human being and there is reason, it's called passion for cycling. Obviously if he has other options that can give him a Giro participation (like Q36.5) and give him more money, he should go for that immediately.

What do you not understand about them literally not having the budget to give him more.

Also a minimum WT salary is still a pretty good salary for e normal human being and there is reason, it's called passion for cycling. Obviously if he has other options that can give him a Giro participation (like Q36.5) and give him more money, he should go for that immediately.
they have signed 11 new riders for next season - admittedely most (apart from Costa and Teunissen) at low cost probably, but if they wanted to keep him, there surely was a chance. It's not like negotiations are likely to have started last week.

And no, I don't agree. Signing for much less than what you're worth has nothing to do with "passion".

Reactions: Sandisfan
they have signed 11 new riders for next season - admittedely most (apart from Costa and Teunissen) at low cost probably, but if they wanted to keep him, there surely was a chance. It's not like negotiations are likely to have started last week.

And no, I don't agree. Signing for much less than what you're worth has nothing to do with "passion".

I'd be glad if he found a team paying him more than Wanty. problem is it's December 28th and many teams already full or reached their budget for 2023. I was worrying for him, not saying he does not deserve more

And let's not forget that his body has taken quite a lot of hits during his career. I definitely can't blame him, if he doesn't want to risk another major injury for just the minimum wage.

And let's not forget that his body has taken quite a lot of hits during his career. I definitely can't blame him, if he doesn't want to risk another major injury for just the minimum wage.
They probably should have told him from the start that they don't have the money to keep him, not offered him a minimum wage contract after signing some decent names.
He got them an 8th place on the gc st the Giro, top 10 on the gc in the Tour de Suisse and a top 3 in Emilia. Seems kinda ungrateful to me, make it clear from the start and everything's fine.

They probably should have told him from the start that they don't have the money to keep him, not offered him a minimum wage contract after signing some decent names.
He got them an 8th place on the gc st the Giro, top 10 on the gc in the Tour de Suisse and a top 3 in Emilia. Seems kinda ungrateful to me, make it clear from the start and everything's fine.
Weird if noone else was interested in Pozzo tbh.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I obviously don't know what they've told him, or if they had expected a to have had a bigger budget for 2023, but sure, there's not anything wrong with his current level, and he deserves a WT spot for next year. His age shouldn't be that big of a deal either in a sport, where there's no transfer money to be earned anyway.