• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hello, What do you think Uae, NTT, EF, Astana, Movistar, Trek are all going to do on the transfer market? It is very quiet in terms of transfers with those teams.

If you browse this thread you will find that most of these teams have been covered quite well already in some way or another. I will summarize the teams you mentioned a little bit.

UAE: Added Majka and Trentin already as very solid riders, expect them to continue to build around Pogacar by adding a few raw domestiques.

NTT: One of the bigger question marks, next to no movement yet, also no extensions announced yet, might be in the market for a big target.

EF: With Kangert and Woods exiting and the emergence of Daniel Martínez, they look very thin on mountain/GC riders, look for them to strengthen that department and also round out their classics squad a bit further.

Astana: After recent reports that López (confirmed) and potentially Lutsenko (would be a huge surprise) will be let go due to financial reasons, big question mark is who the team leaders will be next season. Since Vlasov is making big strides, expect them to put their faith in him and buy low this season. Likely they'll add a few talents and cheap domestiques instead.

Movistar: Are generally active on the transfer market a little later than other teams, should look to add more "second-tier" riders as they did with Mühlberger and Garcia Cortina. Have a lot of prospects but are still thin on domestiques.

Trek: With Porte, Nibali and Mollema all being 33+ years old, they might look to go younger soon. As for 2021 however, i would expect the same captains and just some new domestiques and prospects (they already signed Fancellu and Tiberi who I personally like)

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin and Krokro
EF: With Kangert and Woods exiting and the emergence of Daniel Martínez, they look very thin on mountain/GC riders, look for them to strengthen that department
There will be no more good climbers left on the market by the time they announce their first new signing!

I guess it's inevitable that they conceive some strength in the climbers department. Their classics team will look OK if they re-sign Vanmarcke and Keukeleire. Rutsch and Bissegger are interesting prospects.

Reactions: Movitrain
Gazzetta now reports that Miguel Angel López might be headed to AG2R-Citroen...

Quite the busy transfer window for AG2R but with the arrival of Citroen their budget reportedly increases to about 23 M €/yr.
Bora doesn’t make a lot of sense for Lopez. He’s too good to be the second GC guy on most teams, and I don’t currently rate Buchmann as a better GC contender, though he may have a higher ceiling. He did look strong in the Dauphiné, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to more TdF success.

After this years TDF, Lopez could choose to make it his target for the next years, and I would assume that his leadership wouldn’t be challenged there.

Movistar is typically one of the last teams to finalize their roster. They have signed two riders, both fit in with their current rebuilding strategy. Cortina for the northern classics and help for stage races. Muhlberger for the hilly classics, maybe stage races and help for bigger stage races. Both are young and should fit in nicely with this fairly young team being rebuilt. Remember the reason for the age of the team being as high as it is is Valverde, Erviti and Rojas being late 30's to 40 years old. The older riders will basically be the teachers for the youngsters coming in. They do appear to be building nicely for the future and it appears the sponsor understands what the team is currently doing as well.

They even bought out Martínez' contract then, woah. Once again a scary haul for them.

Though EF's finances might look pretty bleak too, considering that Woods also exits when he actually had a contract with them for 2021.

Nonetheless, INEOS train for next year's Tour looking pretty good once again.

Last edited:
They even bought out Martínez' contract then, woah. Once again a scary haul for them.

Though EF's finances might look pretty bleak too, considering that Woods also exits when he actually had a contract with them for 2021.

Nonetheless, INEOS train for next year's Tour looking pretty good once again.
What could it still make interesting is, that they will not have a rider like Froome in their ranks..
We all have to hope that Pogacar and Evenepoel will not switch to them..

What could it still make interesting is, that they will not have a rider like Froome in their ranks..
We all have to hope that Pogacar and Evenepoel will not switch to them..

That's it for their signings for this year apparently, so rest easy :)

I'm a little bit disappointed in/for De Plus. After a couple of years largely domming for Jumbo, I'd hoped he might go to a team where he'd get a bit more freedom. But he does look like the type of rider that's tailor-made for the Ineos train.

Do Ineos have riders leaving to fit those 5 in? I know Froome is going but surely there's others leaving there also

There are currently 10 riders without confirmed contracts for next year so 4 will have to depart as the max squad size is 30 riders.

Basso
Ganna
Geoghegan Hart
Knees
Kwiatkowski
Moscon
Narvaez
Sivakov
Stannard
Wurf

My guess would be Basso, Wurf, Knees (retire) and Moscon. If Knees does not retire then Stannard will go.

Do we think Ineos has increased their budget for next season because of the threat of Jumbo-Visma? Or do the 5 riders equal Froome's salary?

Carapaz, Yates, Martinez, Sosa, De Plus, Dennis, Castroviejo, Amador

Bernal, Thomas, Porte, Sivakov, Geoghegan Hart, Kwiatkowski, Van Baarle, Rowe

Ridiculous depth!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS