• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The minimum wage reference is about the debut year. He surely wasn't riding for the minimum last season. But the difference sure might be in a figure, doubtfully two.
Blick's a bit yellow, I'd say, so carefully.

Yeah, that might have been his first season and you are right. Shouldnt trust everything you read.

We can assume they thrown money at him and its probably too good to turn down. If that figure is somewhat true, then it is a lot.

Richie Porte gets 2 million a contract and Hirschi only gets 1 million euro ?

C'mon he is worth at least 2 million at this stage ..

I personally think it will effect his career to the detriment but it is understandable ...his value may never be this high again ...he is Mr Potential and as we know cycling is very unpredictable...who knows what could happen ..I guess its grab what you can while you can ..Sad for Sunweb as he could win alot there imo...the set up suits his talent

At the moment there is alot of very young talent ..Hirschi just needs to have a few 3rd or 4th places to Evenepol, Pogacar and co and watch the stress increase and the results flat line ...we have all seen it

But the inequalities in budgets and salaries in cycling make it a very fickle playing field
One minute you are Adam Yates 4th at the Tour and along with your twin on the road to GT glory ...the next you are a domestique (all be it a well paid one) for others at the Tour

Richie Porte gets 2 million a contract and Hirschi only gets 1 million euro ?

C'mon he is worth at least 2 million at this stage ..
I think salary in sports (and perhaps no different in most of other jobs!) is often based as much on what you've actually accomplished, as on what you're expected to accomplish in the future. In other words, the salary often "cathes up" to the actual level presented by a rider a year or two later.

Hirschi only has 2 biggish (but not super big) wins in his career so far while Porte actually finished the last TdF on the podium after being a top player in one-week races and having some highlights in GTs as well for around a decade. Hirschi will no doubt have a claim to an even higher salary for his next contract should he prove his 2020 results were not a one-off but as for today being very good but not wins-everything level good for like 2 months of his career will not secure him a contract equal to riders who have been proving equally high level for years and it makes sense. If team managers were jumping with such high contracts offers to every young rider who has shown something great just in a couple of races, they would've lost a lot of money on securing riders who would eventually not deliver as much as they were expected to. For every young rider who establishes himself as a top rider in the peloton there are 2 or 3 who we think of as "what went wrong with him? he was already so good when he was 19,20,22 etc. years old but then he stagnated".

Last edited:
I think salary in sports (and perhaps no different in most of other jobs!) is often based as much on what you've actually accomplished, as on what you're expected to accomplish in the future. In other words, the salary often "cathes up" to the actual level presented by a rider a year or two later.

Yes I agree, and in Porte case it is probably a case of they paying him to put his own aspirations aside and ride in support first and foremost, as a superdom. That costs money too if they asking him to do that for the GTs. He will go in as a superdom/plan b. Maybe leadership at Vuelta if he performs during the season.

On the plus side he gets to race on one of the best teams with the most resources. He will still have opportunities at some one-week races to do well probably. He gets a last very good contract and I mean he probably deserves it from the level he was at last season.

Reactions: Koronin

Hirschi only has 2 biggish (but not super big) wins in his career so far while Porte actually finished the last TdF on the podium after being a top player in one-week races and having some highlights in GTs as well for around a decade. Hirschi will no doubt have a claim to an even higher salary for his next contract should he prove his 2020 results were not a one-off but as for today being very good but not wins-everything level good for like 2 months of his career will not secure him a contract equal to riders who have been proving equally high level for years and it makes sense. If team managers were jumping with such high contracts offers to every young rider who has shown something great just in a couple of races, they would've lost a lot of money on securing riders who would eventually not deliver as much as they were expected to. For every young rider who establishes himself as a top rider in the peloton there are 2 or 3 who we think of as "what went wrong with him? he was already so good when he was 19,20,22 etc. years old but then he stagnated".

You can find 2 to 3 times as many riders as Sagan, Hirschi, Pogacar, Evenepoel, Bernal, Higuita, Sivakov, Sosa who performed as well as them before turning 23 and then fizzled out to nothing?

I can find Moreno Moser.

• Sad
Reactions: SafeBet and search
I mean in the end the payment a rider gets always depends on what you think he's capable of. Even if it's a more experienced rider you have no security that he will perform as well the next year. And it's clear Hirschi's ceiling appears very high.

I wonder though if they paid DNS or whatever they're called some good money or if Hirschi was just let out of his contract because they now totally believe in their "all for one, no rider stands out"-approach.

I wonder though if they paid DNS or whatever they're called some good money or if Hirschi was just let out of his contract because they now totally believe in their "all for one, no rider stands out"-approach.

Would be a bit unfortunate if they're called 'Team DNS' now. They'd have to constantly remind people that they did indeed start!

Article mentions a "settlement agreement" with the rider to terminate the contract. It is a short and to the point statement from the team and "no further comments will be made". Best wishes etc.

It is fun to speculate and it sounds like he may have forced his way out. If they didnt want a possibly disgruntled rider on the team, they had to let him go.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Wielerflits and Het Laatste Nieuws are now reporting that DSM wanted out of Hirschis contract and UAE didn't buy him out.. This is quite some saga.

Wielerflits and Het Laatste Nieuws are now reporting that DSM wanted out of Hirschis contract and UAE didn't buy him out.. This is quite some saga.

Yeah, feels like something strange must have happened then for them to take that stance to just want to get rid of him and off the books.

I mean.

If he got an offer for 1 million franc a year and he was making 30 000 Euro at DSM. Thats a huge difference.
30,000 Euro is an easy amount to buy yourself out. If he wants to be a professional; the first rule is get paid when you can. Begging for it afterward doesn't always work so good on him. I don't know much about his personality but his riding seemed team-oriented and he came through when Sunweb put him in position even against serious contenders. A good addition to Pog and the rest.

That's been the wording CN, Cyclingtips etc has been using from the start - DSM severed the contract.

The only reasons I can think of for doing this so quickly would be a performance based contract with unreasonably high bonuses/payrises or an internal dispute.

Another potential development - didn't Scott move teams to DSM to have a high profile Swiss rider on their bikes?

• Wow
Ops its beginning to sound like clinic issue
That's been the wording CN, Cyclingtips etc has been using from the start - DSM severed the contract.

The only reasons I can think of for doing this so quickly would be a performance based contract with unreasonably high bonuses/payrises or an internal dispute.

Another potential development - didn't Scott move teams to DSM to have a high profile Swiss rider on their bikes?

really there are the only 2 reason you can think of ?

Maybe you ought to think again

Why would a team dumpa rider asap ?

I can think of another reason ...go on give it a try

Reactions: DJ Sprtsch

CN article said "reached a settlement agreement with the rider" and that an agreement to terminate the contract was agreed upon between them.

I think it is likely they were paid a fee to release him and in an agreement with the rider terminated the contract.

"Settlement" could also mean paying him what he was owed before terminating the contract.

It depends on how you interpret the statement from the team. Which is the only thing to go by right now. Which isnt much without knowing what happens next, officially.

If it were a dispute or other things we dont know about yet, then that will surely come to light.

We will have to wait until he is announced for another team, officially, or if there is some funny business going on.

TRENDING THREADS