• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 77 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
considering most of exposure for sponsors is in tour de france, its probably a conundrum how much money do you want to spend on team like DQS, because they dont have a clear GC rider (and Almeida who showed up from nowhere anyway could leave as well) so its basically bennett and alaphillippe, im not sure how much is a sprinter worth, alaphillippe obviously french that helps but also isnt on every day sooo

but it can be as easy as to have a really big sponsor, PL would have to give up certain powers and he doesnt want to,
its gonna be interesting in the future because if evenepoel becomes great somebody will offer him a tonne of money, UAE is already drilling another hole in the ground so they can pay pogacar for next 15 years

This and a non-Belgian sponsors not wanting the Classics to be the nr. 1 priority are the main reasons for his problems.

Reactions: Sandisfan
But even if it's about the Tour... so far Evenepoel is part of the package. Alaphilippe might be, too. Last year they had the green jersey in the Tour. (Okay, today, they weren't that great...)
But there must be a good team behind and they have shown they can also work with and develope GC riders.
As the biggest Belgian team they also have access to a pool of young Belgian riders. I'm sure, there are more Belgian teenagers who want a cycling career than any others. And it must be attractive for them to go to a proven team which isn't far away.
Even if Quickstep do not have a clear GC rider for the Tour they are way more present in the Tour alone than most other teams.
No, I really don't get this and can only assume that either PL is exaggerating his problems or that sponsors want more control over things than he wants them to have. But that would be stupid of the sponsors, in my opinion, because however he is as a person, that man knows how to lead a cycling team.

Dec 22, 2020
Visit site
Days since last win 1356 Fabio Aru 1122 Romain Bardet 1027 Chris Froome 1001 Rigoberto Uran 967 Geraint Thomas 786 Andre Greipel 652 Edvald Boasson Hagen 604 Vincenzo Nibali 570 Alejandro Valverde 558 Philippe Gilbert 554 Greg Van Avermaet 548 Elia Viviani
I'm not impressed. But without those "old" riders I would be even less impressed.

• Wow
Days since last win 1356 Fabio Aru 1122 Romain Bardet 1027 Chris Froome 1001 Rigoberto Uran 967 Geraint Thomas 786 Andre Greipel 652 Edvald Boasson Hagen 604 Vincenzo Nibali 570 Alejandro Valverde 558 Philippe Gilbert 554 Greg Van Avermaet 548 Elia Viviani

I'm a little confused here. We're having a discussion about old riders on Qhubeka, and you're listing bunch of riders of whom none is both, and only one - Aru - is actually on the team, but not old...

• Haha
This and a non-Belgian sponsors not wanting the Classics to be the nr. 1 priority are the main reasons for his problems.
There must be a sponsor that would want to title sponsor DQS, personally i am surprised Lidl don't step up and sponsor the team. My wife knows nothing about cycling and walked in the room the other day and said that Lidl team are always on the front of the races. The combination of the blue kit with the lidl logos on the shoulders, meant that Lidl have more brand recognition in our household than any other sponsor in cycling because it is visible, recognizable and teh way DQS race visible at all nearly all races on the tv cameras, even away from TdF. The worst thing for Lidl is Alaphillipe in the world champs bands as they are not as visible to the average viewer than if he was in the normal trade kit launching his attacks

There must be a sponsor that would want to title sponsor DQS, personally i am surprised Lidl don't step up and sponsor the team. My wife knows nothing about cycling and walked in the room the other day and said that Lidl team are always on the front of the races. The combination of the blue kit with the lidl logos on the shoulders, meant that Lidl have more brand recognition in our household than any other sponsor in cycling because it is visible, recognizable and teh way DQS race visible at all nearly all races on the tv cameras, even away from TdF. The worst thing for Lidl is Alaphillipe in the world champs bands as they are not as visible to the average viewer than if he was in the normal trade kit launching his attacks

This. Exactly. Well, I guess Lidl are too afraid there will be a big doping scandal again and they are linked as a major protagonist.

• Wow
I guess Lidl are also so big that they don't really need to invest massive amounts of money into a cycling team to improve their brand recognition.

I guess Lidl are also so big that they don't really need to invest massive amounts of money into a cycling team to improve their brand recognition.
the point i am getting at is, the specific team and the way they race gives huge potential visibility for a title sponsor, if they get the correct logo on the correct jersey design they will have instant visual impact throughout the entire season on the TV due to the way the team races. I see more value in being title sponsor of DQS than nearly all other teams because of that. When you factor in Remco and Alaphillipe as your marquee riders, it would shock me a title sponsor would not be found

TRENDING THREADS