• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But the Irish guy that went to EF before him done ok. A fella named Martin something IIRC
Yeah, I just wanted to tell there's no way to tell how a rider will develop based on his u-23 results. It can go either way. Healy's results show promise but it's not like he's been super consistent or something that would suggest he's almost guaranteed to do something big as a pro.

Yeah, I just wanted to tell there's no way to tell how a rider will develop based on his u-23 results. It can go either way. Healy's results show promise but it's not like he's been super consistent or something that would suggest he's almost guaranteed to do something big as a pro.

well yeah, some excellent espoirs make it big, some don’t. There are no guarantees when you sign them that they will ever improve much more.

I don’t think it’s a good sign if a very promising espoir is supposed to be one of the central signings of the season (an occasional freak aside). But I do think it’s a good sign for a team to be signing them.

Reactions: Sandisfan

There are no guarantees. You never know how someone will perform and develop over time. You invest in someone/something because you believe in them/it. Giving them a chance and time to prove themselves. Sometimes that is just what you gotta do. Especially when you cant sign and outbid other teams to get finished stars or the biggest new talents, that everyone has on their radar.

I don’t think it’s a good sign if a very promising espoir is supposed to be one of the central signings of the season (an occasional freak aside). But I do think it’s a good sign for a team to be signing them.
That's the point I'm making. In no way do I suggest that Healy is a bad transfer for EF. But if he and Chaves are going to be EF highlight signings this year, it's not a good situation considering the fact they're set to lose Higuita and Rutsch and they're in a point they could use some strengthtening of their roster instead of merely trying to level out the gains and the losses.

It's worth noticing how they already had a modest budget in 2020, yet they had a roster that could fit so much more quality riders. Since then they've lost Martinez, Woods, Vanmarcke, Clarke, Halvorsen and now Higuita, while the only riders on presumably biggish contract signed since then were Valgren and Chaves. Also Van Garderen retired and it's to be expected his contract was pretty big (it's signed when he still performed in one-week races and he was a relatively big name) and Uran has likely taken a pay-cut too because he had signed the previous contract straight after taking 2017 TdF podium and it ran out after 2020. Atop of that, EF has got financially compensated for releasing Martinez out of the contract early and maybe too the same story with Woods. So you would assume that should their budget be around the same relative to everyone else as it was in 2020 (and it already was definetely one of the lowest in the WT in 2020), then they should have room for some biggish signings. If they don't, it means their budget is not really fit for WT requirements, unfortunately. :confused_old:

That's the point I'm making. In no way do I suggest that Healy is a bad transfer for EF. But if he and Chaves are going to be EF highlight signings this year, it's not a good situation considering the fact they're set to lose Higuita and Rutsch and they're in a point they could use some strengthtening of their roster instead of merely trying to level out the gains and the losses.

Yeah, I don’t think we substantially disagree. Chaves and Healy are nice signings for any team. A quality rider with good results but known limitations and one of the more promising espoirs of this year’s WT intake who like any young talent may or may not develop. Both worth a shot. But they shouldnt be the centrepieces of a competitive WT team’s season’s transfers unless maybe there’s a preexisting very strong team core of a kind EF doesn’t have.

Reactions: Anderis
Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Wielerfits:

Moscon to Quick Step
Louis Verwaeke (Alpecin) to Quick Step

Set to leave:
Almeida
Hodeg
Bennett
Archbold?

Rumors to join:
Fuglsang
Dan Martin
Cimolai
Viviani

No news in Luxembourg about Didier to join EF....

South Americans transfers. Some of them known. Additionally from a podcast:

Chaves: EF
Higuita: Bora
Hodeg: UAE
Gaviria: Cofidis (Viviani will go back to DQ).
Sosa: Bora or Movistar
Narvaez: Movistar (building a Classics team)
Didier Merchan: EF
Jesús David Peña : BikeExchange
Contreras: JV
Johan Garcia: Bahrain
Nairo: Arkea and retirement after next year.

So we're 2 days into the official transfer window and still not a single confirmed WT transfer? Weird. I seem to remember announcements piling up right from the 1st of August one year.

Yeah, it has been pretty quiet.

I guess maybe because there is not much movement from a lot of the riders in what we would call the top tier. One star/leader moving to another team, usually creates a domino-effect with others moving around as well. Like musical chairs. Not much of that going on at the moment. Most seems to be staying where they are at.

South Americans transfers. Some of them known. Additionally from a podcast:

Chaves: EF
Higuita: Bora
Hodeg: UAE
Gaviria: Cofidis (Viviani will go back to DQ).
Sosa: Bora or Movistar
Narvaez: Movistar (building a Classics team)
Didier Merchan: EF
Jesús David Peña : BikeExchange
Contreras: JV
Johan Garcia: Bahrain
Nairo: Arkea and retirement after next year.
Gaviria at Cofidis could work, he has been riding with Consonni and Bohli before. If they manage to keep Sabatini (or even better Laporte, but that seems to be wishful thinking) they have a decent train.
I get the feeling that with Fernando it's a lot about getting his confidence back after recovering from Covid twice.

Powless extends with EF:

I think it's not mentioned in the link but PCS recons it's for 2 years.

Wielerfits:

Moscon to Quick Step
Louis Verwaeke (Alpecin) to Quick Step

Set to leave:
Almeida
Hodeg
Bennett
Archbold?

Rumors to join:
Fuglsang
Dan Martin
Cimolai
Viviani

No news in Luxembourg about Didier to join EF....
Ha you would be thinking who would hire Moscon with all that baggage but then you remember Patrick Lefevre exists. I suppose Moscon is the kind of "tough" guy he likes

Ewan extends with Lotto Soudal (2024)
Frison too (2023)

Also Ruidiger Selig --> Lotto Soudal (2023)

Looks like they're confident they'll get another good sponsor before the end of 2022 when Soudal leaves.

Marc Sergeant and Herman Frison will leave the team tho, pretty sad new imo, 2 Lotto monuments.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS