• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah, it has been pretty quiet.

I guess maybe because there is not much movement from a lot of the riders in what we would call the top tier. One star/leader moving to another team, usually creates a domino-effect with others moving around as well. Like musical chairs. Not much of that going on at the moment. Most seems to be staying where they are at.

You would think all is quiet due to lack of movement but if you read the cyclingnews article on teams and transfers so many riders are out of contract and many have not yet (and maybe wont) get another contract in so many teams

Seems teams want younger (very young ) riders and a splew of older riders are without certainty ...I mean your stage hunter riders

Cycling is becoming quite ageist

And what I mean by this is if you are just under 30 and not performing very well you are more likely to get a contract that if you are over 30 and performing better ...

Or maybe I should say the trend is toward more and more younger unproven guys too ...but then cycling teams are like geese they follow the trends ....but not every young rider is Pog

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sagan is done. Even if he reaches his prime level again I am not sure if there is enough firepower there to outgun the likes of MvdP and WvA. I wouldn't mind him proving me wrong but I doubt he'll be a major force again and I don't trust TotalEnergie to be capable of making him significantly more effective.
He is pretty much the same age as Tommy Voeckler was when Total had him in yellow so maybe Sagan is aiming for a late career transformation into a GC contender

Sagan is done. Even if he reaches his prime level again I am not sure if there is enough firepower there to outgun the likes of MvdP and WvA. I wouldn't mind him proving me wrong but I doubt he'll be a major force again and I don't trust TotalEnergie to be capable of making him significantly more effective.
If not being like MvdP or WvA and not winning big races all the time means being done then 99% of the peloton is done and might as well retire tomorrow. Weird logic.

You would think all is quiet due to lack of movement but if you read the cyclingnews article on teams and transfers so many riders are out of contract and many have not yet (and maybe wont) get another contract in so many teams

Seems teams want younger (very young ) riders and a splew of older riders are without certainty ...I mean your stage hunter riders

Cycling is becoming quite ageist

And what I mean by this is if you are just under 30 and not performing very well you are more likely to get a contract that if you are over 30 and performing better ...

Or maybe I should say the trend is toward more and more younger unproven guys too ...but then cycling teams are like geese they follow the trends ....but not every young rider is Pog

Yeah, I was only speaking from the "top tier" level. The best GC-riders. The captains and leaders.

There is a lot of riders outside of that is still waiting for a renewal or an offer from someone. The soldiers, if you will accept me using that term.

Teams are probably waiting a bit though, and maybe the riders too. Wouldnt be surprised if those guys get low balled in an initial offer. So probably a lot of guys wanting to perform well in the last part of this season to get a better deal than what might be on the table for them atm. Or simply fighting just to get a new deal at all.

Reactions: jmdirt

A bit harsh.

If he has a good day, he could probably win under the right circumstances. I mean if Cavendish can come back, why could not Sagan?

I think it is foolish to count him out. He might still have a couple of big wins left. He will be 32 next year, so the window might be closing and the question is if he has any hunger left. He started performing very early in his career straight away and was at a high level for almost a decade. We will see. Who knows, he might surprise us. :)

Yeah, I was only speaking from the "top tier" level. The best GC-riders. The captains and leaders.

There is a lot of riders outside of that is still waiting for a renewal or an offer from someone. The soldiers, if you will accept me using that term.

Teams are probably waiting a bit though, and maybe the riders too. Wouldnt be surprised if those guys get low balled in an initial offer. So probably a lot of guys wanting to perform well in the last part of this season to get a better deal than what might be on the table for them atm. Or simply fighting just to get a new deal at all.
If there are decent guys out there still without a contract offer, then a team offering them a deal early might end up as a big winner of the transfer window. Getting some good guys onboard while they're still available and without the bidding war. There are only so many guys capable of riding at a certain level, if you wait too long trying to low ball these guys, you might find yourself in a situation where there's nobody decent left to sign anymore!

So there should still be plenty of signings announced early on. These type of riders who would be between 5-10 best rider in most teams. They're a limited commodity. You want to sign them while they're still available. I thought that before pandemics most of these guys would have a contract already in place before August 1st and official confirmation before mid August.

If there are decent guys out there still without a contract offer, then a team offering them a deal early might end up as a big winner of the transfer window. Getting some good guys onboard while they're still available and without the bidding war. There are only so many guys capable of riding at a certain level, if you wait too long trying to low ball these guys, you might find yourself in a situation where there's nobody decent left to sign anymore!

So there should still be plenty of signings announced early on. These type of riders who would be between 5-10 best rider in most teams. They're a limited commodity. You want to sign them while they're still available. I thought that before pandemics most of these guys would have a contract already in place before August 1st and official confirmation before mid August.

There is probably different tactics to go about it...

Im not sure we are talking about the same riders. There is a lot of riders.

Either way many teams might have had to rethink their strategy or are waiting for the go-ahead from their sponsors.

Maybe a lot riders has already signed and there is just a delay in the announcements. Who knows. :)

Ewan extends with Lotto Soudal (2024)
Frison too (2023)

Also Ruidiger Selig --> Lotto Soudal (2023)

Looks like they're confident they'll get another good sponsor before the end of 2022 when Soudal leaves.

Marc Sergeant and Herman Frison will leave the team tho, pretty sad new imo, 2 Lotto monuments.
Interesting is Selig at this point. He had been the last lead out man for Ackermann during the last couple of years. That means that they will not race together from now on. Don´t think that Ackermann also goes to Lotto with Ewan set to be the sprinter No.1.
Thought that Ackermann would take his whole train with him. Perhaps Selig wants to ride the tour and for this reason he doesn´t want to join UAE..

A bit harsh.

If he has a good day, he could probably win under the right circumstances. I mean if Cavendish can come back, why could not Sagan?

I think it is foolish to count him out. He might still have a couple of big wins left. He will be 32 next year, so the window might be closing and the question is if he has any hunger left. He started performing very early in his career straight away and was at a high level for almost a decade. We will see. Who knows, he might surprise us. :)
I think with a training reset Sagan can still win a lot of races. He seemed to be rounding into good shape before the crash with Ewn.

To me the question might be desire and commitment.

If not being like MvdP or WvA and not winning big races all the time means being done then 99% of the peloton is done and might as well retire tomorrow. Weird logic.
You are reading more into my statement than I intended I think. I don't think Sagan should retire but I don't see him becoming dominant anymore. 'Sagan is done' is just worded too strongly.

I basically agree with how Salvarini's reply puts it but I would not put any money on that big win happening.

Im not sure we are talking about the same riders. There is a lot of riders.
We don't have to be talking about the same riders. I just wanted to point out there are riders out there who are worth to sign ASAP and in the past they would have been signed ASAP. Just a limited number of riders like that would be enough to propmpt announcements. I'm not expecting teams to announce their full rosters in early August, but presumably you want a few good transfers secured right away to have some comfort of having already strong core so that waiting for some opportunities later on doesn't backfire horribly if it goes wrong.

In the years like 2018-2019 I had an impression that around 70% of talent available on the market already knew what their team for the next year would be prior to August 1st. Only riders who weren't really wanted as a 1st choice anywhere would need (or want) to wait longer to secure a contract.

Sagan may have some wins in his pocket, and he took half a team to Total, so he will have the same support he had in Bora. Andnow people may not mark him as strongly as they did before, so things might become easier.

And it is not as if WvA or MVDP are winning everything by now. Combined this year they have Strade Bianche and Amstel, two races I don't fancy a Sagan win.

That said, I don't mean he'll win the Ronde, but minor classics are definetly possible.

Seems like a match made in heaven.
A match like this one?
170px-Pascual_S%C3%A1nchez_-_Ese_instante.jpg

I thought sulfur was supposed to be abundant in hell, not heaven.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS