• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I had expected him to be/end up a tier stronger than Jesper Hansen, but he hasn't really shown any progress since the pandemic. I wonder how good (mountainous) a schedule Uno-X can offer.

Isn't Jesper Hansen riding for a continental team? Which means that Eg does end up a tier above him. Also, I think Uno-X is one of the better ProTeams. I don't think his results so far have merited a WorldTour contract but of course there are worse riders than him on the WorldTour. I'm not ruling out him coming back up there, though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah I wonder that too. I mean for Tadej for example, so many things can happen in 5/6 years. Also privately. He might want to quit cycling? Get injured?

There must be "exit possibilities" for these long contracts?

Well, I would hope that if a rider is forced to retire due to injury, then said rider's team would continue honouring the contract for its duration. And UAE should certainly be able to afford that.

Well, I would hope that if a rider is forced to retire due to injury, then said rider's team would continue honouring the contract for its duration. And UAE should certainly be able to afford that.

But if you get like... what is it now for Tadej... six million?... and you get injured four years before the end... of course the state will be able to pay for that... and of course it's nice for the riders... but that's crazy and no normal team could and would ever do that. If it is like that, no wonder the riders go to UAE...

But if you get like... what is it now for Tadej... six million?... and you get injured four years before the end... of course the state will be able to pay for that... and of course it's nice for the riders... but that's crazy and no normal team could and would ever do that. If it is like that, no wonder the riders go to UAE...
Yeah it would indeed be insane that UAE would continue to pay for him for years. I know an injury would not be his fault, but if you have a normal job and you cannot continue the job, your employer should not continue to pay you no?

Either way, Tadej is already quite safe after his 3 years of professional cycling:p. No more money worries for him.

Ok, I know Lefevere wanted Almeida gone, but when will they start signing some GC help for Remco?

I mean, they have a great team, but looking at the future, I am not sure there are a lot of riders who could support Remco?

It might be a good idea to sign some climbers to work with Remco to those goals?

They don't have many riders for 22 in general... I guess Cattaneo will be re-signed, then there's Vansevenant. One more would be good... but then it's probably not easy to sign a really great helper who knows he's only there to help Remco if you don't pay him some extreme money. If, on the other hand you sign someone fresh whose ceiling is not yet known and is therefor not that expensive you can end up with a situation like Almeida's...

• Wow
They don't have many riders for 22 in general... I guess Cattaneo will be re-signed, then there's Vansevenant. One more would be good... but then it's probably not easy to sign a really great helper who knows he's only there to help Remco if you don't pay him some extreme money. If, on the other hand you sign someone fresh whose ceiling is not yet known and is therefor not that expensive you can end up with a situation like Almeida's...

there was a mention of signing Vervaeke but even if he could be a good helper it's not the maestro helper... like Kuss is for Roglic for exemple..

Ok, I know Lefevere wanted Almeida gone, but when will they start signing some GC help for Remco?

I mean, they have a great team, but looking at the future, I am not sure there are a lot of riders who could support Remco?

It might be a good idea to sign some climbers to work with Remco to those goals?

I think they will wait a bit until re-modeling their roster completely to cater to Remcos future GC ambitions. He still has to regain full health and form. Actually ride and complete a GT. Before they build a strong enough supporting cast that can control a race. Thats just not gonna happen in the near future.

At the moment he could probably get pretty far and achieve a great result with just a few guys to support him. Because they could still probably have a good enough team that can protect him on the flat stages and deliver him to the last climb in races. Then he will have to take it from there. Using the strength of other squads and competitors, just following them and attack at the end if he is strong enough. Because DQS cant compete with Jumbo, Ineos and UAE atm. They dont have the same resources. That doesnt mean it is impossible to still compete and beat them, if you play your cards right.

Number one priority right now though should be to get Remco back into good form and health. Regain some confidence. Then hopefully have a good next season.

I’m willing to go out on a limb here and say that there is such a thing as insurance policies for injuries etc. which limits what the team would be on the hook for in such instances. #sexytalk

I think a rider arrives at a certain point of his career when he realizes a win in a Vuelta a comunitat valenciana is the best he can do.
There must be "exit possibilities" for these long contracts?

I once heard the "exit possibilities" and "injury cover" are the most important features in a professional contract, even more than earnings. Remember Dumoulin, he surely had a clause about his sabbatical 6 months.

I surely think Almeida left DQS because he didn't fancy working for Remco. At the Giro it was clear DQS favored Remco, even before he lost time in that early stage.

TRENDING THREADS