• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 114 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting. With his focus up until now being partly on the track, and a large part of the Danish Team Pursuit squad being on UnoX (including Hansen next year) he'd have stayed with them.
Page I find interesting as well. He rode for the junior team attached to AG2R and then moved to the Conti Devo team of Groupama. How he's gone to a WT that isn't french. Also something I've noticed with a quick search is that out of the riders 'graduating' from the Conti team to the WT of Groupama, I think most of them aren't french riders. Only three french have directly moved up, of which two are still there, compared to five non french. Ok it's not much a huge difference over the three years (and Askey and Thompson are only from 2022 onwards), but I was quite surprised.

and a large part of the Danish Team Pursuit squad being on UnoX (including Hansen next year) he'd have stayed with them.

Rodenberg is leaving too. So really it's just Norman (Hansen) and Larsen from the Danish TP squad who'll be on Uno-X next year. Though, I suppose they could sign Rasmus Lund as well.

Ok it's not much a huge difference over the three years (and Askey and Thompson are only from 2022 onwards), but I was quite surprised.

In fact, Thompson is only from 2023, he's taking one more year on conti-level.

Rodenberg is leaving too. So really it's just Norman (Hansen) and Larsen from the Danish TP squad who'll be on Uno-X next year. Though, I suppose they could sign Rasmus Lund as well.

In fact, Thompson is only from 2023, he's taking one more year on conti-level.
My mistake! I forgot Rodenberg was off to DSM and did actually think Lund was part of Uno-X. Also didnt read that about Thompson. I was only originally thinking about Stewart, Geniets, Askey Van den Berg, and french like Brunel/Davy.

Jonathan Vaughters on twitter:
"Well, for those of you that know @MagnusCort, or follow him on @instagram, you know he’s a bit strange. a very odd Viking, if you will. Wonder what would go along with that in 2022? Like, something that matches? Or better yet rhymes with ‘odd Viking’…maybe an alliteration? Hmmm"

I guess the Red Odd Christian is heading to EF Education.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Interesting. With his focus up until now being partly on the track, and a large part of the Danish Team Pursuit squad being on UnoX (including Hansen next year) he'd have stayed with them.
Page I find interesting as well. He rode for the junior team attached to AG2R and then moved to the Conti Devo team of Groupama. How he's gone to a WT that isn't french. Also something I've noticed with a quick search is that out of the riders 'graduating' from the Conti team to the WT of Groupama, I think most of them aren't french riders. Only three french have directly moved up, of which two are still there, compared to five non french. Ok it's not much a huge difference over the three years (and Askey and Thompson are only from 2022 onwards), but I was quite surprised.
IWG were and are looking for French riders as the French subsidiary of Intermarché is coming into the sponsorship for next year, bolstering the budget.

As for Page, I think I read somewhere that he wanted to step up to WT, GFDJ weren't willing to give him a place in the WT squad though. So he had to look elsewhere.

FWIW, the GFDJ conti team is a bit of a victim of its own success. Like the BMC team a few years ago. So much talent there, that they can't bring up everyone in their own WT team. The priority signing for this year seems to have been Askey, which makes sense. He is super strong. With Thompson secured as well, they saved the two most interesting assets anyway. Marijn van den Berg is the one who missed out, but GFDJ seem to believe in Stewart (no reason why they shouldn't really) so bringing van den Berg up, who has a similar skillset, is probably overkill. Especially as they want to bolster their climbing core apparently.

Next years Conti team looks scary good already too, with Le Huitouze and Martinez coming in as well as the rumours of Rafferty. And they still have Thompson, Balmer and Penhoet who are all at the top of U23 racing already.

So with Penhoet, Le Huitouze and Martinez they have secured three of the most promising french prospects coming up. The only way to go up another notch would be to snag Romain Gregoire away from AG2R but AG2R will probably do anything to hold onto him. We will hear about his future soon enough I'd imagine.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Next years Conti team looks scary good already too, with Le Huitouze and Martinez coming in as well as the rumours of Rafferty. And they still have Thompson, Balmer and Penhoet who are all at the top of U23 racing already.

I hadn’t heard the Rafferty rumour, but it makes sense that the best French development team would grab him, given his performances in France. They probably knew who he was as soon as he won his first junior stage race while non French teams won’t have known he existed until he won the kids version of Plouay last week. They really do seem to hoover up every junior who gets big results in France.

Last edited:
There's a rumour going round that Max Kanter will join Movistar, and CyclingFever claims it's already a done deal.

I see that. They are usually good about that so I’d consider it pretty solid. Interesting signing. Should help Cortina in the classics and have his own opportunities. Hopefully he integrates better than Muhlburger, who has been completely MIA (not sure of the reasons).

I see that. They are usually good about that so I’d consider it pretty solid. Interesting signing. Should help Cortina in the classics and have his own opportunities. Hopefully he integrates better than Muhlburger, who has been completely MIA (not sure of the reasons).
Mühlberger had Meningitis earlier this season and was totally fried afterwards. When he went for a walk he had to rest every 15min.
Source: https://www.radsport-news.com/sport/sportnews_125234.htm

I would consider Wanty the most "Walloon-Belgiansquad". Their main sponsors are from the French-speaking part of Belgium and so is a great deal of staff and riders.

I would consider Wanty the most "Walloon-Belgiansquad". Their main sponsors are from the French-speaking part of Belgium and so is a great deal of staff and riders.
I'm aware they're more of a Walloon team than the other Belgian world teams and have aswell as the Acrog Tormans team (which if I'm correct in thinking is more Flandrian than Walloon?) connections with CC Etupes in France, but it was more about the fact Page has been in two french development squads and when "graduating" hasn't chosen/been given the option possibly of joining the more senior squad.