• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I cannot make this a link, but didn't you guys say Lopez was going to Astana? (This podcast earlier also suggested Mas was going to UAE, and that was obviously not correct) So weird photoshopping Lopez into UAE when the podcast doesn't even believe it.
View: https://youtu.be/yFixlL2tEu8

While the Lopez move hasn’t been officially confirmed, we can confirm other riders that were listed in the arrticle (Aranburu and Gorka). This all came from El Pais, who I trust a bit more than The Cycling Dane.

LOL at even the idea of Mas to UAE. He’s signed for Movistar for another year and Movistar would NEVER let him break his contract as long as he’s the #1 Spanish GC contender. That’s just bad business since Ayuso is tied up with UAE until 2025 or something. I don’t see Mas wanting to leave either.

First paragraph translated:
A rumor takes force among the Italian sports press, this after the experienced journalist, cycling expert, Beppe Conti said on Rai Radio Corsa that the Egan Bernal with the INEOS Grenadiers were not the best and the Israel StarUp Nation was behind get to the talent of the Colombian.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

A rumor takes force among the Italian sports press, this after the experienced journalist, cycling expert, Beppe Conti said on Rai Radio Corsa that the Egan Bernal with the INEOS Grenadiers were not the best and the Israel StarUp Nation was behind get to the talent of the Colombian.

I would like for my wife to title me as Infobae.

Big Ballerstedt great signing. Alpecin going all in on strength in depth for domestiques for classics plus sprints backed by a cadre of stage hunters is a very clear cut strategy. Compare that to the mess of ISN for 2022…

Jul 28, 2021
Visit site

Please don't quote Beppe Conti, he's always wrong

While the Lopez move hasn’t been officially confirmed, we can confirm other riders that were listed in the arrticle (Aranburu and Gorka). This all came from El Pais, who I trust a bit more than The Cycling Dane.

LOL at even the idea of Mas to UAE. He’s signed for Movistar for another year and Movistar would NEVER let him break his contract as long as he’s the #1 Spanish GC contender. That’s just bad business since Ayuso is tied up with UAE until 2025 or something. I don’t see Mas wanting to leave either.

Exactly. Mas is signed through next year. I wouldn't be shocked if they start working on a contract extension/new contract etc during the off season for him. They don't want him going anywhere. Not sure why he'd want to go anywhere either. He's their GT GC rider and Valverde has more or less already handed the keys to the team over to Mas.

From a team's perspective that's more or less the same. Whether he's inconsistent in performances or he crashes all the time doesn't really matter much, because it leads to inconsistency in results.
Tbf, the air time that G consistently gets as a “TdF winner who has crashed” is probably exactly what sponsors love to see. The inevitable line of Ineos jerseys towing him back up to the bunch is a lot better publicity than the equally inevitable solo Wanty/Cofidis jersey slowly but surely being detached from a 10-15 rider groupe maillot jaune halfway up the day’s major difficulty.

Kanter to Movistar is just one of these transfers you would never be able to guess. He is such an unmovistarlike signing.
I'd have said any of the Germans that have gone to Movistar don't make sense at first. I know they've been trying to bolster their squad in one day races so we've seen the likes of Sütterlin, Cullaigh, Cortina, Jacobs, etc (of which three aren't German!), so it could be related to that. But they've also got Juri Hollman on contract till 2023 whose had a few decent results and he signed after riding as a stagiare for Katusha. Both rode Canyon at the time, so I wonder if it's both German riders have moved over with some help from a German sponsor?

Max Kanter, Gorka Izagirre and Alex Aranburu all going to Movistar.

Omar Fraile to Ineos

Jakob Fuglsang to Bike Exhange.

From the articles on the main site.

Astana will have a pretty big rebuild of their roster I guess...
Rumour has it that MAL back to Astana is a done deal and that Valerio Conti + Moscon are coming alongside Nibali. Keeping Pronskyi and Sobrero is probably also high up on the to do list.
Besides those already mentioned Ivan Ramiro Sosa and Oscar Rodriguez are also going to Movistar (seems that Aquadro is once again willing to work with them), same with Lazkano and the talented Ivan Romeo.
(main) source: https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article/2021/09/12/1631351502/movistar-valverde-romeo-acquadro
That looks like a nice team and compensated the losses of Soler and MAL to a certain degree. Abner Gonzales and Einer Rubio to the Giro with a few other young guys and a strong team around Mas for the Tour.

I'd have said any of the Germans that have gone to Movistar don't make sense at first. I know they've been trying to bolster their squad in one day races so we've seen the likes of Sütterlin, Cullaigh, Cortina, Jacobs, etc (of which three aren't German!), so it could be related to that. But they've also got Juri Hollman on contract till 2023 whose had a few decent results and he signed after riding as a stagiare for Katusha. Both rode Canyon at the time, so I wonder if it's both German riders have moved over with some help from a German sponsor?
Yes, Canyon wants a german there plus Movistars parent company has big business in Germany through O2 branch as well.

Hollmann was brought on like you indicated through the Katusha stagiaire stint. Canyon identified him there and Movistar still needed a German, specifically they wanted an U23. At that time there really wasn't any unsigned german U23s with good result/big obvious promise left on the market, so they went with Hollmann. Hollmann didn't really have great results at that time but he had good numbers and was still pretty young. So they figured he had big room for improvement. He himself said that he logically should have stayed another year in the U23 ranks for getting some results and maybe wins, but the opportunity to go WT maybe wasn't coming again, so he went for it.

From what Hollmann said since and also the team plus results indicate, I think both sides are pretty happy. He has been developing pretty good and is a reliable helper already, while still being young enough to develop further.

I'm curious to see what bike will Vader use as I don't think Cervélo has any offerings for MTB right now.

Also curious to see so many riders focusing also on the road right now when the fight for the wins in XCO is more open than ever with Schurter not looking like the previous dominating man.

TRENDING THREADS