• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 121 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Did not see that one coming!

242621341_4757304997646994_1020115840299579821_n.jpg
I was a little surprised by this one as well. I was confident Ion was going to change teams, but I didn't expect Cofidis to be where he'd end up.

Vinicius Rangel seems to be heading towards the Movistar. He has great potential, he's Brazil's best prospect since Fisher

I expect Movistar to bring him through their system. He was brought to Spain through Valverde's team.

Reactions: postmanhat
Yes.

It was announced during the Tour on Portuguese Eurosport (as Azevedo is now a commentator there for certain races) and it was said it would be a very different project from the ones we currently have, for portuguese young riders to be able to run more abroad.

Now they give us a team led by a 35 year-old rider with a dubious past and with 10 riders on board, which is very short to be able to ride the national calendar and a lot of races abroad. Honestly, it doesn't add much apart from the cosmetic package of being run by Azevedo. Even one of the DS is Américo Silva, a dinosaur with a lot of tactical nuances, not to speak about his history in teams who can be best speak of in another part of this forum.

Efapel went from fighting for the Volta to be able to fight for a top-5 at best. Guess they didn't want to invest as much as they were being doing for the past years.

Yeah... the first time he spoke about his new team it sounded like he wanted to build a portuguese version of Axeon. That would have been an exciting project... now that we know who's on the team it is a major let down.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I was a little surprised by this one as well. I was confident Ion was going to change teams, but I didn't expect Cofidis to be where he'd end up.

I expect Movistar to bring him through their system. He was brought to Spain through Valverde's team.
Yeah, the guy has good results in the spanish u23 races and 2nd in the Volta a Goias behind Joao Gaspar, who just returned to racing after his ban.
The only other guy from Brazil who'd I give a chance is the strong TTer Joa Pedro Rossi.

Yes.

It was announced during the Tour on Portuguese Eurosport (as Azevedo is now a commentator there for certain races) and it was said it would be a very different project from the ones we currently have, for portuguese young riders to be able to run more abroad.

Now they give us a team led by a 35 year-old rider with a dubious past and with 10 riders on board, which is very short to be able to ride the national calendar and a lot of races abroad. Honestly, it doesn't add much apart from the cosmetic package of being run by Azevedo. Even one of the DS is Américo Silva, a dinosaur with a lot of tactical nuances, not to speak about his history in teams who can be best speak of in another part of this forum.

Efapel went from fighting for the Volta to be able to fight for a top-5 at best. Guess they didn't want to invest as much as they were being doing for the past years.
From what I've heard the current Efapel team has already a new sponsor, Glassdrive Q8 Anicolor, and all the big gc riders will stay (apparently Moreira signed a big contract until 2024).
Azevedo is not a great manager, after he took over from Ekimov Katusha went on a downward spiral. Joao Benta and Casimiro as their main guys also doesn't scream new generation to me. Sure, Joaquim Silva is an interesting stagehunter on the hilly/medium mountain stages, but other than that they don't add a lot. Pedro Andrade is not a bad prospect and Fabio Fernandes is still really young, but it doesn't look like it's any different than a typical CT team from Portugal.

Coryn Rivera might be moving to Jumbo-Visma, and since Vos isn't confirmed to ride for them next year, I wonder if she'll be moving back to Liv, who needs some strong riders to replace Kopecky and Rooijakkers.

• Wow
2nd year u23 rider André Domingues has signed a 2 year contract with Burgos - BH.
https://www.ojogo.pt/modalidades/ci...ma-a-equipa-espanhola-burgos-bh-14057192.html
He's a lightweight climber (only 49kg) who won the Volta a Portugal do Futuro while also winning the young rider's jersey and finishing 2nd in both the points and the KoM classification. He won the u23 NC MTT with a time that would have been the 4th fastest among the pros.
He's still young and hasn't raced the Volta a Portugal, but at the same time he has never shown anything outside of Portugal in the u23 or junior ranks, so no idea if it's gonna be a good move by Burgos.

Perfect move then, as Burgos never has shown anything outside (or inside, for that matter) of Portugal either. And as the team traditionally only consists of random breakaway fodder with the purpose of filling the lower ranks of start lists in Spanish races, this move essentially ends all hopes of ever achieving any success in the pro ranks for Domingues.

Excuse me?!

2019-vuelta-05-madrazo-angel-finish.jpg

Results, particularly that atrocious stage, can sometimes hide reality, either for good or for bad.

IMHO, 2021 was the only one that Burgos did a worthy Vuelta. Cabedo was promiment in mountain stages and achieved a respectable GC place. Navarro managed to put in some decent performances in mountain breaks, while Bol was decent as usual. In previous years they couldn't even hold the pace of the breaks in flat stages...

To me, being competitive is much more relevant than getting a gifted win in a 3-rider break. That gift won't be repeated in 10 years, while getting consistent and respectable performances will yield more meaningful brand exposure.

TRENDING THREADS