• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 125 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No contract extensions for six Bahrein riders: Eros Capecchi, Scott Davies, Marco Haller, Kevin Inkelaar, Wout Poels and Marcel Sieberg.

View: https://twitter.com/BHRVictorious/status/1447494549010620421

I was shocked reading Poels doesn‘t get a new contract at Bahrain. He is one of the strongest and most experienced mountain domestiques in the peloton. Only reason to explain this is that he wanted to earn a lot more money than they offered.

Poels was great support for Haig and Mader in this year‘s Vuelta, and did a great TdF some weeks before.

Money is certainly the only reason to explain his departure. Now all the WT teams will want to sign him, and only few will be able to pay him...

I was shocked reading Poels doesn‘t get a new contract at Bahrain. He is one of the strongest and most experienced mountain domestiques in the peloton. Only reason to explain this is that he wanted to earn a lot more money than they offered.

Poels was great support for Haig and Mader in this year‘s Vuelta, and did a great TdF some weeks before.

Money is certainly the only reason to explain his departure. Now all the WT teams will want to sign him, and only few will be able to pay him...
Haller has already signed with Bora, back to ride the cobbled classics with his buddy Politt.

This one's interesting:

PR blah-blah or honest opinion?
Well, he is saying it himself a few words later: Not the best, but the one with the most untapped potential in his (often very bloated PR) opinion.

Personally I think Steinhauser got a lot of potential, he was able to showcase it on single days this year but with more racing and training volume there is definitely a lot of room to improve.

Might even be a gut felling, but most certainly with a good amount of PR. Even if we don't count with RE, just because he has been in the WT for 3 years, there's a still of bunch of other U23 with more accomplishments than Steinhauser .
The thing is- talent does not always equal accomplishment (Vaughters even explains exact reasons why it would be the case for Steinhauser in the link) and above all, is not something very well defined and measurable so you can always take such opinions with a grain of salt.

I think Vaughters once said that Jose Fernandes Neves was the most talented Portuguese rider since Rui Costa but then never gave him a full time contract so there you have a precedent of PR talk that didn't materialise to anything substantial.

I also have my doubts if Steinhauser will succeed in developing to his full potential with this kind of approach to the sport. Don't get me wrong, I don't criticise it and it might work to the benefit of his personal life overall but there will be dozens of young men 100% into cycling at the same time that will have it a lot easier to focus on those tiny details that will make you a better rider.

Reactions: Sandisfan
View: https://twitter.com/Movistar_Team/status/1448189261715361795

anyone know where Terpstra is headed for 2022? Somehow i had the strange thought today that he might end up at Astana as well? (no source, just speculation)

I don't really know anything, but my thought has been that he was going to retire, since there's no way he will able to get a salary close to the one he currently has. Not the most likeable rider around, but it's still sad that all the crashes along with his advancing age have turned him into pack fodder.

^^Sosa should be a good pickup for Movistar. I'm not quite sure why he didn't pan out into a marquee climber for Ineos but maybe he'll get another chance at Movi. If not, he's a very useful domestique.

Craddock not staying with EF is interesting. He's not a great rider but this year showed Campanaerts-like skills in breakaways, so maybe he's found a team that will pay him more.

I am guessing Poels is on a big, big contract right now, but tbh I don't think he can justify that any more. He's now a very good, but not great, mountain domestique. He'd be a good pickup for DQS (would be a homecoming) if they wanted a pure mountain helper for Remco, and going back to a Dutch team might give him a boost...don't know the circumstances under which he joined sky from Omega/QS but why not?

^^Sosa should be a good pickup for Movistar. I'm not quite sure why he didn't pan out into a marquee climber for Ineos but maybe he'll get another chance at Movi. If not, he's a very useful domestique.

Craddock not staying with EF is interesting. He's not a great rider but this year showed Campanaerts-like skills in breakaways, so maybe he's found a team that will pay him more.

I am guessing Poels is on a big, big contract right now, but tbh I don't think he can justify that any more. He's now a very good, but not great, mountain domestique. He'd be a good pickup for DQS (would be a homecoming) if they wanted a pure mountain helper for Remco, and going back to a Dutch team might give him a boost...don't know the circumstances under which he joined sky from Omega/QS but why not?

He is Dutch. They are Belgian :)

Sosa is very limited. Zero recovery and endurance. He is good in single mountain (or lesser stages) with no wind exposure. Hard to see him develop into a contender or a useful domestique.

Craddock is a good support rider. Curious to see which team signed him.

I actually thought about that. He could do one GT with Remco, as a captain and helper, and do another GT for stage hunting.

TRENDING THREADS