• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benoot could win more as a domestique for Van Aert than as a leader at any other team. He will have a bigger shot at being able to win from a late attack, with nobody wanting to drag Van Aert to the line, than he would have in case he was riding for himself as a leader at any team. He is borderline incapable of winning most races, because he isn't good enough to drop others and he can't sprint for sht. Moving to JV makes most sense, because he can't only help Van Aert in classics, he can also help Roglic in classics and GC. Benoot is a very capable climber, which is why i have been saying he should have been going after GC's more the past few years (considering he can't win classics or stages). But since he also sucks at TT him being a superdomestique for Van Aert and Roglic makes sense for all parties involved. For the team, for the teamleaders, as well as for him. He can come closer to winning something from that role and financially he won't do worse i imagine.

Could it be that Benoot moves to JV if Dumoulin moves to Bike Exchange ?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Benoot could win more as a domestique for Van Aert than as a leader at any other team. He will have a bigger shot at being able to win from a late attack, with nobody wanting to drag Van Aert to the line, than he would have in case he was riding for himself as a leader at any team. He is borderline incapable of winning most races, because he isn't good enough to drop others and he can't sprint for sht. Moving to JV makes most sense, because he can't only help Van Aert in classics, he can also help Roglic in classics and GC. Benoot is a very capable climber, which is why i have been saying he should have been going after GC's more the past few years (considering he can't win classics or stages). But since he also sucks at TT him being a superdomestique for Van Aert and Roglic makes sense for all parties involved. For the team, for the teamleaders, as well as for him. He can come closer to winning something from that role and financially he won't do worse i imagine.
On paper yes, but they have already signed Van der Sande and mainly Laporte. No to mention a healthy Teunissen and maybe we'll even get some Vader time...

I agree, Jumbo Visma is ideal for him. I saw some Belgian newspapers saying LTS was also an option, but I don't think that would be a good match if he still wants to focus on flemish classics. The team already has too many riders that are strong, but just not strong enough to drop or even follow the best and can't sprint. Just another guy that needs to anticipate. Also only 1 spot left and i would prefer someone else for that spot (atleast if they keep their plans of a total of 27 riders), you know who ;)

If he wants to focus more on the harder, more hilly classics, I would be fine with it tho. Enough freedom there with Lotto with only Kron being actually decent at it and maybe Wellens if he actually tries climbing again (serious doubt).

Only 1? There are 25 contracted riders for 2022, is Holmes staying or is there another rider signed which has not been disclosed yet?

Poor Ian Garrison. Legion say he was treated like a water bottle and then go on to say this
"“We have big plans for him. He’s such as a big unit, he can pull and control 80 per cent of a race, then turn it over to the lead-out. Basically, he’s skipping the first 100 kilometres of a road race and can keep it going for an hour. Then the other five can take over. He’s a huge value add for us,” Doh.

Poor Ian Garrison. Legion say he was treated like a water bottle and then go on to say this
"“We have big plans for him. He’s such as a big unit, he can pull and control 80 per cent of a race, then turn it over to the lead-out. Basically, he’s skipping the first 100 kilometres of a road race and can keep it going for an hour. Then the other five can take over. He’s a huge value add for us,” Doh.
I read that water bottle quote as a comment about how Garrison was discarded by DQS and Lefevre.

Also, it looks like Legion has ambition beyond the US crit scene, so it seems like a good signing.

Reactions: Lui98 and Sandisfan
I read that water bottle quote as a comment about how Garrison was discarded by DQS and Lefevre.

Also, it looks like Legion has ambition beyond the US crit scene, so it seems like a good signing.

Well then Legion should have given him more than a two year contract if they don't like that kind of thing.

I did wonder why he didn't seem to fulfil his potential but he did say it was a couple of difficult Covid-interrupted seasons, especially for an overseas rider.

What a weird quote. "They treated him like a disposable item at DQS, but at Legion he is valued and he will do all the donkey work for his team mates to take some wins"

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco

I don't know the circumstances, and i know Lefevere can be a dck, but his contract was up, and the team wasn't convinced so they didn't renew the contract. I don't really see how that's some horrible unethical crime. He was a domestique in smaller races. If there is any team that usually knows the value of a good domestique, it's QuickStep. I'm sure if they thought he could be the next Declerq or Steimle, they would have extended the contract without a moment's thought.

Reactions: 42x16ss

TRENDING THREADS