• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 134 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know the circumstances, and i know Lefevere can be a dck, but his contract was up, and the team wasn't convinced so they didn't renew the contract. I don't really see how that's some horrible unethical crime. He was a domestique in smaller races. If there is any team that usually knows the value of a good domestique, it's QuickStep. I'm sure if they thought he could be the next Declerq or Steimle, they would have extended the contract without a moment's thought.

It isn't a crime at all. It's so lame when it has to be some big story when a mediocre Anglo-Saxon rider cannot get a new contract. It was the same with James Shaw who also had nothing to show for himself.

Last edited:
I don't know the circumstances, and i know Lefevere can be a dck, but his contract was up, and the team wasn't convinced so they didn't renew the contract. I don't really see how that's some horrible unethical crime. He was a domestique in smaller races. If there is any team that usually knows the value of a good domestique, it's QuickStep. I'm sure if they thought he could be the next Declerq or Steimle, they would have extended the contract without a moment's thought.

I like a lot of what Legion stands for but those water bottle comments were silly.

back to DQS, I'm surprised Cerny still hasn't had a contract extension. He seemed to do a lot of decent work in the second half of the season.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like a lot of what Legion stands for but those water bottle comments were silly.

back to DQS, I'm surprised Cerny still hasn't had a contract extension. He seemed to do a lot of decent work in the second half of the season.

If they don't extend with Cerný then they'll definitely be treating him like a water bottle. His teamwork on stage 5 in País Vasco alone should be enough for them to keep him on (unless there's trouble behind the scenes).

Regarding the Legion comments, they seem like pretty standard for a sports team who signs someone who hasn't been able to flourish at their former team. Whether that is purely Garrion's own fault, if DQS wasn't the right match for him or if they didn't treat him the way he had thought they would/had enough beleive in him, I can't say, but I don't think the comment was outrageous. Lefevere has definitely had worse things being said about him.

Regarding the Legion comments, they seem like pretty standard for a sports team who signs someone who hasn't been able to flourish at their former team. Whether that is purely Garrion's own fault, if DQS wasn't the right match for him or if they didn't treat him the way he had thought they would/had enough beleive in him, I can't say, but I don't think the comment was outrageous. Lefevere has definitely had worse things being said about him.
Every new signing means a previous contract ended. I don't see digs like that every time a team signs a new rider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Every new signing means a previous contact ended. I don't see digs like that every time a team signs a new rider.

Not every rider will have the same experience in such a situation. I wouldn't be surprised if Lefevere had just informed him one day that his services weren't needed anymore without any prior warnings, for instance, which isn't something that everyone is a fan of, though there obviously isn't anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

Yeah it’s not like he’d been labeled as a spineless hypocondriac in the media…..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Luthor
I don't disagree, guys get spat out each year. I was just talking about references to Garrison still being a bottle carrier/tow motor at Legion.

Viviani to Ineos for 3(!) years.
https://www.tuttobiciweb.it/article...s-grenadiers-viviani-elia-contratto-triennale
A big surprise, but the deal includes him riding lots of track, if you wanna combine track and riding on a WT team it's hard to get a better contract.

Yeah, that's a bit puzzling. It's not like there's some great sprinter he could become a Mørkøv-like leadout man for. You can't get much advertising exposure on the track. Maybe Pinarello demanded a high-profile Italian replacement for Moscon, even though they already have Ganna?

Yeah, that's a bit puzzling. It's not like there's some great sprinter he could become a Mørkøv-like leadout man for. You can't get much advertising exposure on the track. Maybe Pinarello demanded a high-profile Italian replacement for Moscon, even though they already have Ganna?

Ineos seem to have taken a decision to be visible in all kinds of disciplines - track, MTB, CX.
The cynic in me says they're doing this as they probably won't win the Tour while Pog is around.

Last edited:
There is a Pinarello connection because the Italian track team also uses their bikes.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Swift has been a leadout man for Viviani before. Him and Narvaez should be able to get Elia into position, Viviani has always been better when he's on the right sprinters wheel than when his train takes command and the others are on his wheel. I guess Hayter could also help out if it's a really easy sprint stage.

I don't see this deal as surprising, in fact, if Viviani wants to focus on track, this deal makes perfect sense for both sides.

Ineos get a rider who can get them some results in the flat races, at such a GC focused team a top sprinter with a dedicated lead-out is out of the question, so Viviani is as good as they can get in these circumstances. On the other hand, Viviani gets a team where there won't be too much pressure on him to deliver on the road so he can focus on the track a bit.

Reactions: SafeBet

TRENDING THREADS