• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yet they didn't replace them with other climbers and kept Yates.

Seriously, they have let a lot of good riders go and haven't replaced them, especially on the women's team. They need to hit the ground running next year or it's going to be even worse than last year.

Add to that Yates and Haig left in 2020 and you have five climbers leaving in two years, so the pivot is obvious - Yes, they have a smaller budget, but they had the money to keep A.Yates in 2021 and have still not spent this money, hence their interest in Dumoulin.

Anyway their new signing Campbell Stewart a trackie from NZ which continues their pivot away from GC - Stewart is an interesting prospect who has a quick finish.

Wouldnt be suprised if he reunites with his brother at Ineos.

Thomas and Porte retires. Leaves budget (even though that it is probably not a problem for them) and a spot open.

It really depends on his priorities - He needs to change to be a stage hunter at GT's and in this role he could ride all 3 GT's - He's only won 1 stage race in his career, while he has no pedigree in one day races - If the above happens, and the stars align with BEX team-management sharing a similar philosophy , then he could very well stay at the team - Both Simon and BEX must find a way to best utilize his talents.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Thomas retires? I don't think he will do that before 2024.

I was just speculating. The post I responded to mentioned "bigger teams "and out of those that I am thinking of... Ineos would make the most sense for him. If it opens up a spots on their roster and if others leaves or retires. His brother being there and that he is British. I feel like it would be a likely destination or a team like ISN, if they pay him. I cant see him going to many other teams if he doesnt just stay where he is at.

It really depends on his priorities - He needs to change to be a stage hunter at GT's and in this role he could ride all 3 GT's - He's only won 1 stage race in his career, while he has no pedigree in one day races - If the above happens, and the stars align with BEX team-management sharing a similar philosophy , then he could very well stay at the team - Both Simon and BEX must find a way to best utilize his talents.

I think a move away would be a good idea, if only to identify if his inconsistency is down to him, or the team environment. He's been there his whole career, and one season aside, hasn't made much progress beyond that expected as a rider ages and enters his peak years.

And becoming a stage hunter seems like a fairly pathetic end to his career at the age of 29? Isn't that really just for riders who are too young/old, or can't descend/recover/ride effectively in a peleton?

In my defense without Padun, he would have signed. There was an agreement but that was before Padun signed. I am very intrigued to know how the recruiting of the Ukrainian was done, I did'nt hear about it until CN released the news
To be honest, it's been very un-EF-like to surprise us with a late transfer of a rider who's shown enough promise to warrant interest from several WT teams.

I think a move away would be a good idea, if only to identify if his inconsistency is down to him, or the team environment. He's been there his whole career, and one season aside, hasn't made much progress beyond that expected as a rider ages and enters his peak years.

And becoming a stage hunter seems like a fairly pathetic end to his career at the age of 29? Isn't that really just for riders who are too young/old, or can't descend/recover/ride effectively in a peleton?

It's very unlikely that Yates can win another GC, although a podium is possible - You have a narrow view if you think being a stage hunter is pathetic.

TRENDING THREADS