• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bingoal Pauwels have signed arco Tizza, who returns to the pro ranks after 3 seasons at CT-level. A decent rider to have for a PCT team, the last time he was still on a PCT team he did finish 2nd in the Volta Limburg. Now of only they got some of the guys on their CX team to ride more on the road, mainly Iserbyt for the Ardennes classics, that would be sweet.

They are not the same team (at least I think that). The one who signed Tizza is Wallonie Bruxelles while the other is a flemish team. Not relation whatsoever apart from being sponsored by the same companies.

They are not the same team (at least I think that). The one who signed Tizza is Wallonie Bruxelles while the other is a flemish team. Not relation whatsoever apart from being sponsored by the same companies.

Looks like the same team, but with a name change:

Bingoal Pauwels Sauces WB 2022 (procyclingstats.com)

(You'll have to click the little drop-down menu in the top-right corner to see the history-of-names)

I suppose this is the other team:

Pauwels Sauzen - Bingoal 2021 (procyclingstats.com)

So it all boils down to the order, and "Sauces" vs. "Sauzen". No... not confusing at all...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
What's the difference (if any) between that, and the races regular conti teams are allowed to race?
don't think there's much of a difference, apart from the fact that they can't score any points for the team rankings on the road. I guess it's mainly about them not having to get a double license anymore just to do a handful of road events.

Cross riders can (like MvdP, for example) obviously still sign at a road team as well, but I don't think a "development team" like cooperation is possible, where you can swap in riders just if you need them. So if Bingoal wants Iserbyt to race on the road, they'd probably need to give him a normal contract to do so (or at least at their own Devo Team)

Cross riders can (like MvdP, for example) obviously still sign at a road team as well, but I don't think a "development team" like cooperation is possible, where you can swap in riders just if you need them. So if Bingoal wants Iserbyt to race on the road, they'd probably need to give him a normal contract to do so (or at least at their own Devo Team)

1. Isn't Alpecin basically both? A ProTeam (road), on which a bunch of the riders just so "happens" to do cross in the winter. Except the ladies, who rider under the "Plantur Pura" name on the road, but the Alpecin name in cross. Though, some ride under a third name, I think...
  2. Didn't you say that P-CRO teams, like the Bingoal (Pauwels Sauzen) team Iserbyt is on, can ride on the road?

I'm really confused...

• Wow
  1. Isn't Alpecin basically both? A ProTeam (road), on which a bunch of the riders just so "happens" to do cross in the winter. Except the ladies, who rider under the "Plantur Pura" name on the road, but the Alpecin name in cross. Though, some ride under a third name, I think...
  2. Didn't you say that P-CRO teams, like the Bingoal (Pauwels Sauzen) team Iserbyt is on, can ride on the road?
I'm really confused...

yeah, I was mainly referring to Mayo saying "if only they [Bingoal] got some of the guys on their CX team to ride more on the road, mainly Iserbyt for the Ardennes classics, that would be sweet", which maybe I misunderstood?!

Pauwels Sauzen - Bingoal of course can do as many races on the road as they like with all their crossers, lining up as "Pauwels Sauzen - Bingoal", but those riders can't start for the Bingoal ProTeam just like that, even if the teams are somewhat connected. To do that, the riders would need to have a contract with both teams (like van der Poel has, at Alpecin's road and cross team) - and if that's the case, they would not be allowed to do any road races for Pauwels anymore, btw

(like van der Poel has, at Alpecin's road and cross team)

I thought that was just the same team... while I know it's mostly the same group of riders doing cross as well, what would happen is say... Dillier... decided to join the fun? Would he have to (temporarily) sign a contract with the cross team?

And I really don't think Bingoal - Pauwels Sauces WB, and Pauwels Sauzen Bingoal have anything in common, apart from a shared love of sauces - or sauzen - by a guy named 'Pauwels'...

I thought that was just the same team... while I know it's mostly the same group of riders doing cross as well, what would happen is say... Dillier... decided to join the fun? Would he have to (temporarily) sign a contract with the cross team?

I think so, yeah, currently the Alpecin XC team only has 7 riders registered with the UCI, at least:

it's probably just a formality, though. Riders can be added at any point of the season, and there's also no payment required in XC

And I really don't think Bingoal - Pauwels Sauces WB, and Pauwels Sauzen Bingoal have anything in common, apart from a shared love of sauces - or sauzen - by a guy named 'Pauwels'...
Both saucy teams have the same sponsors, but different owners from different areas in belgium and licences thats are different. If Dillier wanted to race in a uci level cx then he probably could, while wearing Alpecin kit. A bit like when the Tormans CX team was originally set up at the start of 20120 for Hermans and van Kessel, Xandro Meurisse did a couple of races for the team in the tormans kit but was still officially riding as part of Wanty. It gets a whole lot more complicated when you start considering some riders on the Alpecin and Saucy cx teams will be Elites without contracts but are still "contracted" to those teams. I believe this means they ride for those teams but aren't profressional.

Does that mean Van Aert, and Vos also have a second - cross - contract with Jumbo Visma, even if they're the only riders - afaik - from that team who also does cross?
no, a team needs to have at least three riders. Riders without a team still can get entered by a National Federation, which is probably the case for van Aert and Vos. So it's a bit confusing indeed. No idea what would happen if the Swiss federation lines up Dillier (to get back to your example), and whether that would come with him automatically riding for Alpecin or not.

About Iserbyt, by the way: his team manager says that he could benefit from some racing on the road indeed, and that they'd consider to turn Pro (on the road) to get a Grand Tour invitation, if that's what he wants.

...which obviously makes no sense at all either. No GT would invite them anyway

TRENDING THREADS