• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 146 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Simon Clarke is in a similar situation - Resting in OZ and returns to Europe in February without a contract.
I wouldn’t say he’s resting, he’s been training quite a bit preparing for the Nationals, Bay Crits and Santos Festival of Cycling. Apparently last week Ryder said he’s still confident of finding a sponsor but Clarke didn’t sound to confident in Ryder. Surely someone will pick up Clarke as he still has a lot to offer a team.

I wouldn’t say he’s resting, he’s been training quite a bit preparing for the Nationals, Bay Crits and Santos Festival of Cycling. Apparently last week Ryder said he’s still confident of finding a sponsor but Clarke didn’t sound to confident in Ryder. Surely someone will pick up Clarke as he still has a lot to offer a team.

You took me too literally - I am aware that Clarke will ride during the OZ summer - Its pointless if Ryder finds another sponsor seeing there is no licence available for 2022 - Clarke should GET a contract for 2022 - He may have to consider other cycling related work.

You took me too literally - I am aware that Clarke will ride during the OZ summer - Its pointless if Ryder finds another sponsor seeing there is no licence available for 2022 - Clarke should GET a contract for 2022 - He may have to consider other cycling related work.
He's searching a sponsor to put up a professional. Anyway if he won't find a contract Clarke could give a call to his friend Magrini and start commenting races with him, the times he guest commented with him looked like he was enjoying taking part in his "show".

Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Isn't it possible they sign Bogna for the CT Devo Team?

Alpecin say he earned a 1 year contract, and it is not possible to sign a 1 year contract for a professional team (WT or PCT) being a neo.

PS: Zardini signed for Drone Hopper apparently, while EF seems to stand at 29 riders. Weird neither Scully or one of the gravel riders (Howes / Morton) were retained.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Alpecin say he earned a 1 year contract, and it is not possible to sign a 1 year contract for a professional team (WT or PCT) being a neo.

PS: Zardini signed for Drone Hopper apparently, while EF seems to stand at 29 riders. Weird neither Scully or one of the gravel riders (Howes / Morton) were retained.

As far as I remember, Jay Vine last year also signed a 1 year contract, as the team announced his contract renewal during the Vuelta, if I'm not mistaken. Bogna also had a UCI contract with ARA - Pro Racing Sunshine Coast (as Vine had with Nero Continental) so he maybe isn't considered a neopro.

As far as I remember, Jay Vine last year also signed a 1 year contract, as the team announced his contract renewal during the Vuelta, if I'm not mistaken. Bogna also had a UCI contract with ARA - Pro Racing Sunshine Coast (as Vine had with Nero Continental) so he maybe isn't considered a neopro.

Riders who sign from conti teams are indeed considered neo-pros. Otherwise, barely anyone would be considered neo-pros, as most riders do indeed sign their first pro contract (WorldTeam or ProTeam) from a conti team.

I think the neo-pro category depends on the age as well.

Vine is 26 and is not a neo-pro, like Zwiehoff from Bora who is... 27? Just my guess, but being a neo pro is probably constricted to u-25 or u-23 riders on their first PCT or WT contract.

Padun was announced as the newest member of the 2022 EF team, but not as the last one, so I expect them to reveal the remaining two contracts before we reach the Giro.

Weird neither Scully or one of the gravel riders (Howes / Morton) were retained.
Scully has had a pretty weak season, and with EF hiring Wiśniowski and Doull, riders who could do the same job but probably better at the moment, there would be nothing weird if he was let go.

But as Samu Cuenca said, EF haven't announced their final roster yet and it's pretty likely someone like Morton will be kept. Although EF now have a development team for 2022, it could maybe make sense to move Morton there so that they could keep him under contract and reap the marketing benefits of his adventures while not wasting a WT spot for him when he doesn't tend to race a lot of WT races nowadays. But as long as they have free spots left in the WT team, it doesn't really make a difference.