• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Why out of all people that left DSM for good Arensman would choose to leave them for Ineos?
it's a pretty logical choice.

DSM is a great team for youngsters and he had the chance to grow at a steady pace. First in some smaller races. Then he started good TT's. And now, like in his U23 period, he is starting to climb well as well.

He's 22, Ineos can mould him further and honestly, with his combination of TT+climbing he might as well be one of Ineos future GT leaders if he keeps it up. Much better support there than DSM in the end anyway.

Although ofcourse early days.

Van Baarle to Jumbo for 3 years
Arensman to Ineos for 2 years

Big L for Jumbo that Arensman deal. At a time when they need a young climber/GC rider so much, they somehow managed to lose out on the best (read only) young Dutch GC rider out there, again. I really don't see anyone else as an option except if maybe Halland has some kind of an early exit clause. Strengthening the classics squad with DvB is nice but who is gonna climb that's not named Primoz/Jonas...

This is old news - My understanding is that there will be extra investment ( Aussie ) in Team Bike Exchange Jayco - The team would like A. Yates to return although I am yet to be convinced this will happen - Dunbar is a real chance to join, while S.Yates has no reason to leave.

I don't see Yates as a big loss to Ineos. He was kind of a vanity signing, right? They have several other guys who perform a similar function.

don't think so. Vacek apparently has signed for Trek, but they are full, so he will get on board in 2023 (according to mixed statements from the two brothers). Also a stagiaire role on from August isn't possible, as he already has pro-experience.
Yet when Dunbar when to Sky/Ineos after AB went down they gave them permission without any problem...
Sucks for the riders, if something like this happens they could at least bend the rules for one season, very poor from the UCI.

Last edited:
Harsh. Was 9th in PCS rankings for 2021, which, going by that, would suggest they only have one other guy who can perform that function. None, if you count being British as being an important part of that function.

Not that harsh IMO. Off the top of my head he won a week-long WT stage race (but if he hadn't been there Porte and Thomas would still have been 1st and 2nd!) and got 4th at the Vuelta (but if he hadn't been there, Bernal would still have been 5th!).

CN transfer story points of interest (some have already been said here):
  • "Cyclingnews understands that Ineos Grenadiers have already struck a deal with 22-year-old Dutch talent Thymen Arensman, who will transfer from Team DSM for 2023."
  • "Carapaz is open to offers and is in talks with Movistar and three other teams
  • van Baarle "has agreed a three-year contract for close to two million Euros a season with Jumbo-Visma."
  • Yates linked with BikeExchange
  • "Dunbar was not selected for the Giro d’Italia despite his climbing skills and overall victory at the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali. He has been linked to BikeExchange-Jayco and Jumbo-Visma."
  • "Martinez has been linked to a move to Movistar alongside Carapaz as the Spanish team look to replace Alejandro Valverde."
  • "Richie Porte will retire at the end of the 2022 season and the Giro d’Italia is his final Grand Tour"

TRENDING THREADS