• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 155 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'll say it once again, the UCI is such a bunch of **** for not allowing teams to sign more than the maximum amount of riders now that a decent amount of riders no longer has a job because of the Gazprom situation. Yet back in the day it wasn't a problem when Sky signed Dunbar (and rightfully so) when A B folded. From what I've heard even WT teams would be interested in picking up some of the riders, yet they can't.
Not to mention that they still haven't adressed the elephant in their own room, the whole Marakov situation...

I'll say it once again, the UCI is such a bunch of **** for not allowing teams to sign more than the maximum amount of riders now that a decent amount of riders no longer has a job because of the Gazprom situation. Yet back in the day it wasn't a problem when Sky signed Dunbar (and rightfully so) when A B folded. From what I've heard even WT teams would be interested in picking up some of the riders, yet they can't.
Not to mention that they still haven't adressed the elephant in their own room, the whole Marakov situation...

Added to that, some teams are finding it hard to get enough numbers for races because of illness and injury this year,

The Italian NT is riding the Giro dell' Appennino, so I assume that we'll see most of the Italians from the team there.

Apart from Lunder returning to Coop, and some of the Italians getting starts with the Nat Team, it is remarkable that no one else have gotten a new team. But of course, there might be teams who are willing, but don't have free spots.
Conci recently got signed by the Alpecin developmental team, so I assume that they'll send him to some races with the WT team too.

I meant to write UWT,

never the less the point system is screwed up and weighted towards easier one-day races.

We don't need all these Belgian and French teams to be WT, with no interest in performing in the races, but instead picking off easier competition.

I don't need another Belgian team at the WWT level, instead, it would be great to have a team that was from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, and Iceland etc., it would be great to see the great signings stick together there.

The WWT could be more internationally interesting if there was more of a diversification requirement - so that this wasn't 50% Belgium, French, or Italian teams.(via rights questionable countries).

Currently, there is one WWT, from Australia, Netherlands, Germany, Israel, Spain, UK, and the US. (EF, vs Trek, doesn't have any American riders).

(Yes I get that the registration country doesn't matter that much, and many teams have riders from all over the place).

To me, there is too much trying to win not WWT single-day races, versus GC for many teams.

(I posted part of this on another channel)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Apart from Lunder returning to Coop, and some of the Italians getting starts with the Nat Team, it is remarkable that no one else have gotten a new team. But of course, there might be teams who are willing, but don't have free spots.
Kukrle returned to Elkov, and Vacek has signed for Trek. According to Czech media he will race for them on from August, so (if true) there seems to be some kind of UCI rule exception at least. Normally he wouldn't be eligible for a stagiaire's role anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roku
only through media. Reportedly Vacek already signed a contract with trek for 2023 in 2020. Czech media then said that trek tried to sign him also for this season after the gazprom thing, but they are full (31 riders) and UCI ruled out an exception. UCI said that letting him ride as stagiaire later in the season is a good compromise, because PCT riders are not allowed to be stagiaires under normal circumstances.

News on the new Italian cycling team p/b Davide Cassani
Head sponsor: Coffé Borbone (coffee-brand)
Bikes: Bianchi
Riders so far: Ulissi - Fedeli & Trentin

The 1st 2 kinda make sense but I have a hard time believing Trentin would opt for a Proconti Italian team the coming years.
Article in Dutch about the new team, as mentioned earlier.

TRENDING THREADS