• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 174 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
it comes from way back. from the Olympics 2008, then London 2012, the investments and the budgets of Sky (the sponsor, not the team) the national lottery, and HSBC.
the hard racing there and all the youngsters starting from the track and going on to the road. we're 10 years from Wiggo's TDF win. that 2012 year made things even faster.
the foundation was already there. the talents came out, at home. for example the situation here in Italy is not good. no WT team, just one, ONE indoor velodrome, sponsor and funds come and go. what GB built in the last 10-14 years is huge.
Apart from 2008 being "way back" seems accurate. Like Australia in the late 80's/early 90's they stopped focusing solely on track mid 2000's, this investment sped up once Olympics were confirmed (2000 Sydney/2012 London).

Apart from 2008 being "way back" seems accurate. Like Australia in the late 80's/early 90's they stopped focusing solely on track mid 2000's, this investment sped up once Olympics were confirmed (2000 Sydney/2012 London).

Basically the British Olympic Committee identified cycling as a relatively inexpensive way to win medals. The Communist bloc programmes had ceased and other countries (Australia, USA I think) cut their budgets so they had not so many nations to compete against as in say trying to win a track and field or swimming medal.

Basically the British Olympic Committee identified cycling as a relatively inexpensive way to win medals. The Communist bloc programmes had ceased and other countries (Australia, USA I think) cut their budgets so they had not so many nations to compete against as in say trying to win a track and field or swimming medal.
Also not forgetting the impact of 20 years of the Dave Rayner fund in supporting rider placements in mainland Europe.

it comes from way back. from the Olympics 2008, then London 2012, the investments and the budgets of Sky (the sponsor, not the team) the national lottery, and HSBC.
the hard racing there and all the youngsters starting from the track and going on to the road. we're 10 years from Wiggo's TDF win. that 2012 year made things even faster.
the foundation was already there. the talents came out, at home. what GB built in the last 10-14 years is huge.

Sadly, that isn't quite the same for MTB in the UK, which is still not getting the numbers through - and was mentioned in her winning interview on Wednesday by Evie. Even World & Olympic champions can't bring in extra mainstream media coverage.....

Sadly, that isn't quite the same for MTB in the UK, which is still not getting the numbers through - and was mentioned in her winning interview on Wednesday by Evie. Even World & Olympic champions can't bring in extra mainstream media coverage.....
Cross is now the sport getting getting kids racing offroad in the UK , and then migrating to road.

I read that Trek don't want to be associated with any doping; cough, Lance, cough. Leaves Trek looking a bit short on top riders.

Otoh I think the field is more balanced that he's been in the past years. Fortunately it seems that the Pauwels Sauzen vs. Baloise dominion of the beginning and ending of the seasons is over.

Pauwels: Iserbyt, Vanthourenhout, Kamp
Tormans: Toon Aerts, Thijs Aerts
Baloise-Trek: van der Haar, Ronhaar, Nys
Alpecin: van der Poel, Vermeersch, Hermans, Vandebosch, Vandeputte
Crelan: Laurens Sweeck, van Kessel, Verstrynge, Wyseure
Ineos: Pidcock
Hens-Maes Containers: Soete, Meeusen
Jumbo-Visma: Van Aert

And Guy Sagiv gets booted out to make room for him? Surely contracts have to be honoured?

They have a development/conti team, so maybe they'll just transfer him there.

Anyway, UAE announced two year extensions for Majka, Ulissi, McNulty and Bjerg... so that weird rumor about Bjerg possibly going to Quickstep can die now.
Junior Vlad Van Mechelen is going to DSM u23 team for next season, earlier they've also secured Max van der Meulen, among others, who had some very good results in the junior ranks this year.

Teuns going to the Anglo retirement home is a surprise for me, I guess they must be paying him a lot of money.

Zana to BEX has also been confirmed. He was already decent at Bardiani and looking at how bad they've been in recent years (all their best riders usually peak right after the Giro and not for the Giro because they don't know what they are doing) he should have lots of room to improve.

They have a development/conti team, so maybe they'll just transfer him there.

Anyway, UAE announced two year extensions for Majka, Ulissi, McNulty and Bjerg... so that weird rumor about Bjerg possibly going to Quickstep can die now.
Junior Vlad Van Mechelen is going to DSM u23 team for next season, earlier they've also secured Max van der Meulen, among others, who had some very good results in the junior ranks this year.

Yeah, if UAE let Bjerg go it would have been one of the most bizarre decisions from a top team in recent memory. For Pog's sake I am glad they resigned him.

TRENDING THREADS