• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 175 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cross is now the sport getting getting kids racing offroad in the UK , and then migrating to road.

Becoming a bit of a production line with Turner, Pidcock, Askey and Tullet joining the WT in the last two seasons. In some ways it's amazing it took so long as we have a very climate and terrain to Belguim. But it's probably all part of the heightened awareness and popularity of cycling in general in The UK over the last 12 years? Nothing I like better now than banging around farmers lanes on my cross bike. But despite being a lifelong cyclist, I didn't even know the sport existed till about 2014.

Thijs and Toon Aerts to Intermarché-Wanty-Gobert

Did not see this coming. Thought Toon was sidelined for a while due to clinic reasons.
I think the Aerts brothers were out of contract at the end of this year and that while they've seemingly been fairly supportive of Toon Aerts, I think the clinic reasons do give a good excuse not to re-sign him. From what I remember, Thijs Aerts made good progress this season and possibly wants to continue that while not being swamped with new up and coming talents like Ronhaar and Nys (and eventually Haverdings). On the road side if the team, he also looked good at Dwars door het Hageland and maybe also wants to look at improving his road racing in the summer like every other top crosser at the moment.

The Tormans setup that is connected does currently look to be short of riders. Verstrynge, Wyseure, Hermans and van Kessel are all going/have gone to the Roodhooft brothers teams, Mein appears to be riding for some british off road racing team for cx and xc, Bäckstedt has gone to EF Tibco. That really only leaves Theo Thomas, Kevin Kuhn, and Marie Schreiber as the ones staying with the team. I guess most of this was caused by the reports of the team switching allegiances to Lefevre and Quickstep, which kind of makes more sense now that the elite women's team of d'Hoore and den Ouden has been announced.

I read that Trek don't want to be associated with any doping; cough, Lance, cough. Leaves Trek looking a bit short on top riders.
Baloise Trek still have the likes of Pim Ronhaar, and Thibau Nys on the men's side with Brand and van Anrooij on the women's side.

well, yes, but most of all they have decided that they now want Piccolo more. I guess Morton gets a monetary compensation, but something like this really shouldn't be allowed.

This was well rumored here, that this midseason transfer might be happening,,,,

Andrea Piccolo - signs through 2024
Jefferson Alexander Cepeda signs through 2024

Lachlan Morton and Alex Howes - leave the team as of 7/31, or perhaps they continue to pursue their Gravel/Mtn Schedules without being UCI registered members of the team.

Given Piccolo's recent results, it is possible that he can contribute to the point total at EF, this year, but he has to restart and get into the EF top 10 hurdle first and stay in form.

Not near as big as the Dylan Teuns for Guy Sagiv switch at Israel for the points competition.

Do we see additional mid season transfer from other teams?

I wasn't expecting the Teuns mid-season switch to Israel. Surely it's desperate times for some teams. I think Israel main focus now is at least securing a guaranteed wild card for all WT events. On paper, they have a fitting schedule for racking up enough points through end of season, but they've been struggling all year so who knows.

Regarding EF, it didn't make any sense in the first place to fill up roster spots with Morton and Howes who were not going to compete on the road. You can still endorse them and have them on the payroll without wasting a road roster spot.

This was well rumored here, that this midseason transfer might be happening,,,,

yes, I know, it was basically a sure thing after Savio confirmed it last week. But I still think it shouldn't be allowed to kick out riders as you like to make room for others.

Sure, Morton isn't more than some kind of mascot for the team anyway, but that's exactly what he was signed for. And where do you draw the line? If whatever rider doesn't perform as they would have thought, just fire him, take another?! That's imo not how contracts in cycling should work.

And Guy Sagiv gets booted out to make room for him? Surely contracts have to be honoured?

And Teuns' next 118 UCI points won't be of any benefit in the relegation battle, because he will have to get himself into the team's topt ten before he can do them any good.
I believe the real story is Sagiv wanted to quit racing anyway to pursue other things, so that opportunity meant IPT could transfer Teuns early if Bahrain agreed to it which they have no reason not to if Teuns really wanted to be at IPT instead. No point racing riders who want to be racing for another team IMO, so just let them go exactly as DSM and other teams do.

Reactions: postmanhat
Sep 1, 2021
Visit site

The source is 3 days old but Jumbo seem to have finshed their transfer business (given that Hofstede might sign a new contract because there isnt big interest elswhere). Boven and van Belle seem to nearly have a contract save for 2024. + No rider will join the main team from the dev team for next year.

If whatever rider doesn't perform as they would have thought, just fire him, take another?! That's imo not how contracts in cycling should work.
That's just how contracts work everywhere.

If a team wants to let one rider go to make a place for another, they either have to come to agreement with such rider or the rider will win financial compensation in court. I don't think there's anything wrong here.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's just how contracts work everywhere.

If a team wants to let one rider go to make a place for another, they either have to come to agreement with such rider or the rider will win financial compensation in court. I don't think there's anything wrong here.
maybe, but if that's how it's supposed to work in cycling, it wouldn't need a transfer window. You can do that at any time.

I believe the real story is Sagiv wanted to quit racing anyway to pursue other things, so that opportunity meant IPT could transfer Teuns early if Bahrain agreed to it...
Yeah, I read that on their website too, but through my cynical filter. Had anyone seen mention of it before he went and Teuns rapidly came in, Or did he only become so interested in 'pursuing other things' after IPT gave him an envelope and said they needed his spot on the team for someone else?

I believe the real story is Sagiv wanted to quit racing anyway to pursue other things, so that opportunity meant IPT could transfer Teuns early if Bahrain agreed to it which they have no reason not to if Teuns really wanted to be at IPT instead. No point racing riders who want to be racing for another team IMO, so just let them go exactly as DSM and other teams do.
Yes, just like Roman Kireyev had his chronic back problem causing his need to retire from the sport just a week after a competitive showing at the Tour de l'Ain, conveniently allowing Astana the roster space to sign Kashechkin.

Tbh, at this point UAE should try and sign him.

He'll probably end up at the Israeli retirement home.

I actually have a couple of not-quite-transfer stagiare - and "guest rider" - related questions:

Does the same rule for stagiares that apply to the men apply to the women? For example with Zoe Bäckstedt being unable to ride a WWT race for EF?

From what I understand, the Canyon//SRAM Generation team is the devo team of Canyon//SRAM Racing, much like several men's WT team has devo teams. Does that mean riders from the "Generation" team can guest-ride for the WWT team in certain races?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS