• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He'll probably end up at the Israeli retirement home.

I actually have a couple of not-quite-transfer stagiare - and "guest rider" - related questions:

Does the same rule for stagiares that apply to the men apply to the women? For example with Zoe Bäckstedt being unable to ride a WWT race for EF?

From what I understand, the Canyon//SRAM Generation team is the devo team of Canyon//SRAM Racing, much like several men's WT team has devo teams. Does that mean riders from the "Generation" team can guest-ride for the WWT team in certain races?

The same rules apply for female trainees as for male ones, so no WWT races for Zoe Bäckstedt yet.

The rules regarding development teams are only refering to men's teams in the UCI regulations, so I guess Canyon SRAM could break them and see what happens. Until now they haven't started the same races as their devo team, but they could potentially also do that without punishment.

Some of the rules for the women are also just copied from the men's regulations and still refers to the riders as being male.

No one really knows yet, how the deal between Sina Frei and SD Worx works, but I assume the UCI has given it the green light.

Last edited:
There are some rumours out there that Bora is also linked to Dani Martinez, but I don't think that is plausible.

Jungels on the other hand would be really the best Kelderman replacement they could hope for that was/is on the market. The mix of stage racing, TT and classics is something they don't really have in the current team (maybe an in-form Schachmann comes close).

As Großschartner is also leaving maybe he is the replacement for him (leadership in one-weekstage races). and other riders for the mountains will follow. I also wonder if Kelderman to Jumbo is already a done deal. There. were some comments from a Jumbo official that they will make no big moves on the transfer market and the team will be basically the same as this year. This of course doesn't exclude Kelderman as they have open spots from Teunissen and Harper. and I think that it is already a done deal.

Bora. also shouldn't stop bringing in 2-3 quality riders for GT racing as they have currently real problems to get a solid support cast 5-8 to the Vuelta this year.

During the Tour, Denk mentioned that they'd try to sign an "experienced climber" to replace Kelderman. That must be him, I guess?!
Jungels is not someone I would think of as "experienced climber", although he may fill that role if necessary.

Because of how great Hindley, Higuita and Vlasov have done this season, BORA are getting into this territory where they have too many leaders and not enough capable climbing domestiques. We'll see if Jungels settles for more of a domestique role but I think it would be a bit of a waste if he rode for a team where he doesn't have more of a free role as well.

Jungels is not someone I would think of as "experienced climber", although he may fill that role if necessary.

Because of how great Hindley, Higuita and Vlasov have done this season, BORA are getting into this territory where they have too many leaders and not enough capable climbing domestiques. We'll see if Jungels settles for more of a domestique role but I think it would be a bit of a waste if he rode for a team where he doesn't have more of a free role as well.
Kämna has had a lot of freedom. So I think Jungels will as well, if he deserves it. I think it's a good match.

There are some rumours out there that Bora is also linked to Dani Martinez, but I don't think that is plausible.

Jungels on the other hand would be really the best Kelderman replacement they could hope for that was/is on the market. The mix of stage racing, TT and classics is something they don't really have in the current team (maybe an in-form Schachmann comes close).

As Großschartner is also leaving maybe he is the replacement for him (leadership in one-weekstage races). and other riders for the mountains will follow. I also wonder if Kelderman to Jumbo is already a done deal. There. were some comments from a Jumbo official that they will make no big moves on the transfer market and the team will be basically the same as this year. This of course doesn't exclude Kelderman as they have open spots from Teunissen and Harper. and I think that it is already a done deal.

Bora. also shouldn't stop bringing in 2-3 quality riders for GT racing as they have currently real problems to get a solid support cast 5-8 to the Vuelta this year.
I heard the same. But as the situation stands right now he would be better off staying in Ineos. He won't have that more additional opportunities with Bora. He probably has more opportunities with Ineos. LOL. Ineos needs someone like Dani if they want to capture the Tour again with Roglic or Bernal. Teams need to be very strong now. IMHO.

Kämna has had a lot of freedom. So I think Jungels will as well, if he deserves it. I think it's a good match.
Yes, Kamna usually has freedom, so do Schachmann and Buchmann and then Jungels is expected too. Who's going to be that guy who sacrifices himself for the leaders?

We'll see how sustainable this team is, I feel like they've grown a bit too quickly in terms of stage racing talent for the foundation they had in place but maybe they'll manage it.

Zoe Bäckstedt has signed a pro contract with EF-TIBCO-SVB and will also ride CX for their new team alongside Clara Honsinger.
That's one of the signings of the season imo. If I had to put all my cycling chips on one bet, it would be that Backstedt will be hugely successful in both disciplines, probably sooner rather than later. And really looking forward to following her and Honsinger in CX, two of my favourite riders. Great to see a new challenger to the established teams.

Maybe a similar situation to with however Nino Schurter rode for Orica Greenedge and Jolanda Neff with Trek Segafredo possibly?

Neff was actually listed on the Trek-Segafredo women's team; as she did some early season races (Trofeo Alfredo Binda) before the MTB season.

I suspect the SD Worx deal with Sina Frei is similar to Annika Langvad's with the same team back in 2019. Both part of Specialized Factory Racing, and have all the same equipment/sponsors.

It's impressive how UAE manages to sign a plethora of good riders who are an awful fit to their team and do not address their needs. They could hardly do a worse job.

I wonder if the transfer policy is simply based on Pro Cycling Manager stats.
Großschartner isn't a bad helper for hilly terrain and for the mountain train, but not what they really need. Imo Wellens can be a lot more useful as a domestique on all kinds of terrain. If it wasn't for his health problems they should throw big money at Bettiol and buy him out of his contract. Leader for the cobbles classics (Pogi isn't riding them) and superdom for the hectic first week of the Tour (who can climb really well). He's also friends with Formolo and Ulissi and seems to have a good relationship with Pogi.

Also, how the hell is Ineos now paying Ganna 2M per year, but not re-signing Van Baarle? I know that Ganna is a great posterboy and great for Pinarello, but if he gets that kind of money Van Baarle deserves twice as much...

Großschartner isn't a bad helper for hilly terrain and for the mountain train, but not what they really need. Imo Wellens can be a lot more useful as a domestique on all kinds of terrain. If it wasn't for his health problems they should throw big money at Bettiol and buy him out of his contract. Leader for the cobbles classics (Pogi isn't riding them) and superdom for the hectic first week of the Tour (who can climb really well). He's also friends with Formolo and Ulissi and seems to have a good relationship with Pogi.

Also, how the hell is Ineos now paying Ganna 2M per year, but not re-signing Van Baarle? I know that Ganna is a great posterboy and great for Pinarello, but if he gets that kind of money Van Baarle deserves twice as much...

I guess they realized they don't need to throw any money at Bettiol as he's domming for Pogi anyway while being paid by EF. ;)

TRENDING THREADS