• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 190 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yates saying he believes he is entering his peak years…

Does that mean he expects leadership? Will he do some races like the tour to help Pogacar?

I know they had bad luck in the tour with Covid, but sincerely, Tadej did not make a chance…even during the first week he was riding on his own through the peloton.

Reactions: Sandisfan
If Yates is willing to peak for domestique duties in TdF and settles for his own opportunities in certain one week and one day races, then it's a really great signing.

Tadej badly needs a top-tier climber to face Jumbo, given Almeida is unlikely to accept riding for him at TdF and Ayuso doesn't look like the kind of rider that happily works for others, either.

Getting rid of Gaviria is another good decision. Let's see if UAE is finally managing to make good choices.

The less interesting Yates brother is another rider without integrity, no passion for the sport

Difficult to be interested at all in cycling when a soulless oilmoney team can just buy all the top riders.

your view is very subjective.
integrity, passion for the sport. that0's your view of the sport. riders are there to ride their bikes, it's their job. a pro rider has a passion for the sport otherwise he wouldnt train, ride, and be 200 days a year away from home.
soulless oil money team. go and watch UAE's team mates cheering Molano win at the Vuelta or Philipsen win at the Vuelta 2020. or the way Ayuso rode in his home race, or Bjerg and McNulty giving their all in the Pyrenees.
our view is so very biased, we divide good and bad. think about how Nibali is loved even if he rode for a soulless Kazakh oilmoney team like Astana (Samruk-Kazyna)

Gaviria out, Yates in, sounds like a one-to-one substitution.
In that sense it's actually smart, having Yates on the team adds more than Fernando, who is a nice addition for Movistar.
Pogacar will probably b happy that the team now has someone else who can win their home race, so he can have a more gradual prep for the spring classics and can just use it to ride himself into shape...

your view is very subjective.
integrity, passion for the sport. that0's your view of the sport. riders are there to ride their bikes, it's their job. a pro rider has a passion for the sport otherwise he wouldnt train, ride, and be 200 days a year away from home.
soulless oil money team. go and watch UAE's team mates cheering Molano win at the Vuelta or Philipsen win at the Vuelta 2020. or the way Ayuso rode in his home race, or Bjerg and McNulty giving their all in the Pyrenees.
our view is so very biased, we divide good and bad. think about how Nibali is loved even if he rode for a soulless Kazakh oilmoney team like Astana (Samruk-Kazyna)
Of course its subjective and not objective truth. I don't claim to speak for all fans although I think a lot will agree with me.

A team primarily backed by an oil money state with not good human rights record, signing whichever riders they want by chucking money at them, conglomerating them into a random group of riders, whilst the team has no actual identity or reason to support them unless you like Almida or Ajuso or Trentin or someone like that.

Some athletes have passion for themselves or for training, not for the sport. Nothing wrong with that.

And them being a soulless oil money team doesn't mean the riders aren't happy for each other's successes. It's like Manchester City in football

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Of course its subjective and not objective truth. I don't claim to speak for all fans although I think a lot will agree with me.

A team primarily backed by an oil money state with not good human rights record, signing whichever riders they want by chucking money at them, conglomerating them into a random group of riders, whilst the team has no actual identity or reason to support them unless you like Almida or Ajuso or Trentin or someone like that.

Some athletes have passion for themselves or for training, not for the sport. Nothing wrong with that.

And them being a soulless oil money team doesn't mean the riders aren't happy for each other's successes. It's like Manchester City in football

so who's got passion for the sport? does Nibali have passion for the sport while being paid by Bahrain or Astana oils?
did Wellens have a passion for the sport at Lotto? will he have passion next year at UAE?
did Kung have a passion for the sport at Ochowitz's BMC? and now at FDJ?

reasons to support you say? there are many and so very different reasons to support a team. you like a rider/riders there, you like the way they race, you see them losing races and want them to win next time, etc etc. I'm Italian and all our Italian identity and tradition and SOUL-FULL cycling passion is missing a WT team since years. you don't set up a WT team with just identity and love for cycling.
Movistar is one of the longest lasting teams and many Spanish fans are blasting them day-in day-out for the way they race, because many of them reside in Andorra, etc etc. have they got a Spanish identity? probably but modern cycling is more than that. I am biased and can't stand FDJ and the goats, just in case you (righly) say FDJ has a French identity

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco
Yates in and Gaviria out is a good move for UAE. They're still going to lose what, a minute or two minutes to Jumbo in a TTT? They still lack the riders necessary for the windy, type of stages.

For me, it all comes down to was there something wrong with Pog at the Tour. If not, Ving was just on another planet than Pog. No teammate can change the gap between those two that we saw at the Tour. Now, if Ving comes back down to Earth or if Pog was sick or messed up his training then the Yates signing could make a huge difference on one of those Pog destroys the race stages. Who knows. I don't love the signing but I am all for anything that makes the Tour competitive and right now Jumbo is so far ahead of everyone, this could potentially make the race more interesting. It's not like Yates was challenging Jumbo by himself.

Really don't get the Yates signing. They should have gone after a couple of guys off contract like Van Baarle, Durbridge, Postlberger, Bevin, Tratnik, Denz etc.

They have enough climbers, UAE needs rouleurs. Every time they were exposed as a team this year it was in flat or rolling terrain.

maybe Bjerg and McNulty will have to work on rolling terrain instead of having to go berzerk uphill

• Haha
Motivated Adam Richard Yates can be a valuable addition to any team. On paper UAE is getting strong. Considering the long list i could imagine the names will get distributed in between all three GTs. But there for sure is now much more options to build lets say a Tour team. But then again they will need to somehow manage expectations. For this to work.

As for Ineos and all the richies leaving. Ineos is imploding or making room for some big signing. We'll see.

Yates saying he believes he is entering his peak years…

Does that mean he expects leadership? Will he do some races like the tour to help Pogacar?

I know they had bad luck in the tour with Covid, but sincerely, Tadej did not make a chance…even during the first week he was riding on his own through the peloton.
Leadership does not equate to teammates in UAE as Almeida found out

• Haha
As for Ineos and all the richies leaving. Ineos is imploding or making room for some big signing. We'll see.
I think it's neither. They just recently did a very good job at developing several young riders that will all need pay rise so some of the older guys had to go to make room for it in the budget, just like Quick Step was losing strong riders year after year but still staying strong a few yers ago.

TRENDING THREADS