• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think it's neither. They just recently did a very good job at developing several young riders that will all need pay rise so some of the older guys had to go to make room for it in the budget, just like Quick Step was losing strong riders year after year but still staying strong a few yers ago.

In my opinion Ineos is too big of a team for having such low ambitions. I mean it's good to have talented kids around. But i do imagine that for a team such as Ineos that is not enough. Not by a long shot.

Reactions: pastronef
Roglic at 33 is not going anywhere

And the rubbish on here about Adam Yates having no passion for the sport...what alod of bull. He has signed a contract that will help him live after retitrement and why not , youd do the same . The writing is on the wall ,,Adam Yates cannot beat Jonas, Pog and alot of the young guys except maybe in one weeks so why not move

UAE will now win more races

not an oil money team. Ineos produces chemicals for products we use every day in every day life. even chemicals for Toray carbon in our bike frames.
Adam, until now, is a Brit in a British identity team.
Ineos are one of the major players and pushers of Fracking and has significant holdings in Oil and Gas (more on gas rather than oil though).

not an oil money team. Ineos produces chemicals for products we use every day in every day life. even chemicals for Toray carbon in our bike frames.
But one that does have oil refinery subsidiaries through PetroIneos and is involved in fracking.

And was for many years the highest budget team in the péloton.

Yes it's British rider + British team, but he was literally riding for a big money team whose sponsor is involved in oil + gas production, so it's not some culture change selling out for Yates to sign for UAE, it's SSDD as far as he's concerned.

In my opinion Ineos is too big of a team for having such low ambitions. I mean it's good to have talented kids around. But i do imagine that for a team such as Ineos that is not enough. Not by a long shot.
You have to let someone go if your teams experiences inflation of talent, it's inevitable. You can let go riders like Carapaz or Van Baarle or riders like Pidcock and Hayter and Sheffield etc. Either one or another, there's no other option. I wouldn't call that imploding, just generational transition. As I said, Quickstep was also forced to go through it regularly and they were not a small team either. Every team that develops a lot of young riders in a short time will have to let some good riders go because the young ones will expect a payrise and the older ones will still expect a big paycheck. Perhaps, if the older riders are not Pogacar/Vingegaard/Van Aert level, it's wiser to keep the young ones.

Reactions: Sandisfan

And Britain supplies the UAE with high tech military gear.
Every country sportwashes when they see an opportunity. Look at the massive investment in cycling to nab gold medals at the US, UK and Aus Olympics.
UAE, Qatar etc are sportwashing using another technique and yes their human rights records are repulsive but also look at the foreign policies of western nations.

Reactions: noob
I think it's maybe less about them having low ambitions and more about them changing orientation. They realise that as things stand they don't have a Tour de France contender (Thomas now too old, Bernal with question marks over the injury recovery, Carapaz never quite good enough) and can't throw money at getting a contender through the door immediately who can compete with Pogacar or Vingegaard, or that the money would be better spent developing their own contender rather trying to use established riders to compete.

What they seem to be doing is changing the make up of the squad to be mainly young riders (as things stand over 2/3 of next year's squad will be 27 or younger on 1/1/23, compared to having around 13-15 riders 30 or over during the Froome era) to develop into GC riders and are doing this at the expense of immediate results for the team (ie. letting Carapaz, Yates, Van Baarle go). I think realistically it's not the worst gamble to make as I think some of those young riders will be able to achieve similar results.

@Anderis
@EliseeReclus

It would be like saying bankrupt Barcelona is a grassroots football team. As they couldn't win Champions League anymore. And now they shifted their orientation to samba. Forget about that and poach Roglič. Just like Barcelona did with Lewandowski. Leave the grassroots, samba and all other orientations to teams like Adria Mobil and Rog.

The obvious comparison is what Barcelona did about 10-15 years ago when they were actually winning Champions Leagues. They would have 2-3 players come through La Masia into the first team squad most seasons, and their most effective players were generally ones who they had developed themselves, they then supplemented this with intelligent spending to fill in gaps in the rest of the team.

So A.Yates to UAE, that's something. For those doubting his utility in the mountains: the guy's ability on 20-30 minutes ascents is almost unmatched and troubled even Pog himself at times. Sure, on some stages he will be AWOL but on others he'll be a very good addition to the team.

Roglic at 33 is not going anywhere

And the rubbish on here about Adam Yates having no passion for the sport...what alod of bull. He has signed a contract that will help him live after retitrement and why not , youd do the same . The writing is on the wall ,,Adam Yates cannot beat Jonas, Pog and alot of the young guys except maybe in one weeks so why not move

UAE will now win more races
Roglic is still young. He started his career late.

@EliseeReclus

Still Ineos isn't winning all that much and i don't expect that to change with kids. I mean for sure there will come a win or two on some races. But that is peanuts for a team such as Ineos.

Anyway. Rather big names are leaving the team. Lets see if any big names will sign in not that distant future.
They've not done badly: 38 wins (4th overall and their highest since 2018); 109 Podiums (1st overall); 249 Top 10s (2nd Overall), and you'd probably hope that given the age profile of the squad and that some big riders haven't had amazing results this year, they would be getting better results next year.

Losing Yates really isn't that big of a deal for them, he's won only 2 races each year (Deutschland tour stage and GC this year, Stage and GC for Catalunya last year). Carapaz has had a great Vuelta obviously, but during his time at Ineos it's probably become clear that he's a step below other GT GC guys.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that between Arensman being new, Bernal being able to race more and a year's worth of progression for Rodriguez, Hayter, Plapp and Pidcock they could have a higher win total than last year.

TRENDING THREADS