• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 192 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@EliseeReclus

It's too little for such team. On top of that it will likely take them a while. To turn some kid in Yates or better into Carapaz. Pidcock is an interesting one indeed. Still it will likely take a while before sending him to Tour and expecting him to win it.
They haven't sent a rider to the Tour expecting to win it since 2020, replacing a rider with two wins per season in week long stage races isn't hard and especially not beyond the realm of possibility for Rodriguez, Arensman, Hayter, Plapp or Pidcock. Getting a rider who can win GC stages like Carapaz did in the Vuelta is difficult sure, but I think it's entirely possible to see Arensman or Rodriguez grab a podium in the Giro or Vuelta next season. Given that Ineos signed Carapaz to be a GC contender they aren't really losing out here.

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
@EliseeReclus

It's too little for such team. On top of that it will likely take them a while. To turn some kid in Yates or better into Carapaz. Pidcock is an interesting one indeed. Still it will likely take a while before sending him to Tour and expecting him to win it.
What did Yates achieve with them?
He only won the Tour of Deutschland and Catalunya
I am pretty Sure that riders like Rodriguez or Arensman can achieve that
Ineos dominated almost all the biggest Stage races during an entire decade, now they are trying to find the riders who will make them dominate again
It doesn't make sense to spend a lot of Money on established Riders who can't beat Pogacar, Vingegaard etc....
Even spending Money to have Roglic is unneccesary because he is already 32 and has probably less than 2 or 3 good years left
The best thing they can do is to invest in young riders, develop them and see what will happen .

Just 2 years ago no one could have imagined that Vingegaard would reach this level of performances
Maybe Ineos already has the riders in their squad who would make them dominate again

At the Same time it is normal for them to have complicated years after dominating for almost a decade. It will allow them to reinvent themselves
In Sport a Team can't be at the top forever
You dominate, then you rebuild etc..

Reactions: Sandisfan
@EliseeReclus

The problem in regards to dismissing Carapaz like that in my opinion comes down to the other kids still have a lot to prove. To first reach that level. It's not like Carapaz was in their way and that is on why they couldn't do it. And it's not like many will reach that level.

@Eren Yeager

Realistically Yates on a race such as the Tour could prove to be invaluable for the team leader. But i guess he never really got a shot at that. As for saying Roglič would only win for the next two or three years. Well yeah. That is the whole point. In addition he is a rather good mentor. But OK some feel this grassroots approach is the best. To be honest if somebody is investing such amount of money in grassroots cycling. Then good for them and i guess cycling as a whole. I could imagine some grassroots cycling clubs could run on such annual budget for half a century. If they would use the money wisely. Hence the results are likely imminent.

P.S. All in all i feel that they will sign a big name in the (near) future. As surely they aren't spending that much money on kids. On who will it be best to wait and see.

Ineos should get their act together and try poaching Roglič.
Yes, they don't have enough stage racers.

Ineos would be dumb for doing that. They have an extremely promising young core at the moment in all terrain, and they will roll with that. After all, Roglic is on a psychical decline compared to his peak years, and he has crashed out of 3 out of his last 4 GTs.

Sep 20, 2022
Visit site
Realistically Yates on a race such as the Tour could prove to be invaluable for the team leader. But i guess he never really got a shot at that. As for saying Roglič would only win for the next two or three years. Well yeah. That is the whole point. In addition he is a rather good mentor
I agree with you but a the same time it will cost them a lot only to have Roglic and it is also not sure that he will win a GT if they spend all that money on him
If he was at end of his contract, i am pretty sure they would have done everything to have but he is under contract until 2025 and it will probably cost over 10 millions (Salaries + Buying his contract at Jumbo)
Do you think it is worth it?

But OK some feel this grassroots approach is the best. To be honest if somebody is investing such amount of money in grassroots cycling. Then good for them and i guess cycling as a whole. I could imagine some grassroots cycling clubs could run on such annual budget for half a century. If they would use the money wisely. Hence the results are likely imminent.
Honestly Ineos doesn't probably want to spend money on riders who can't compete against or beat the big boys (Pogi, Vingegaard, Remco)
That is why they are investing in young riders with huge potential
Many of them already showed good promises for the future and it is only normal to make room for them so they can continue to grow
Sometimes you need to have a project and a vision because spending money on established riders is not always the answer

I think Arensman is a Grand Toiur winner
There is soemthing about his determination and he has the ability to become a GT winner

And with Ineos behind him

I also think Pidcock can win GTs . He is insanly talented and needs to concentrate on a GT but that may take a few years yet
You've been grinding your teeth for years now when people said they believed a certain rider could do well or even win a GT, and now here you are claiming Arensman can win a GT because of his determination, and Pidcock because he's talented. Both combined not having 1/4th of the palmares of the rider who shall not be named. Faut le faire.

If Pidcock is in fact in need of a mental break because he's been mentally drained after a season where he has been able to ride with little pressure all year, i have to wonder if he has what it takes from that perspective to fight for a classification over 3 weeks in the most stressful or races.

If Pidcock is in fact in need of a mental break because he's been mentally drained after a season where he has been able to ride with little pressure all year, i have to wonder if he has what it takes from that perspective to fight for a classification over 3 weeks in the most stressful or races.
This is a bit harsh, no? I mean, it's no doubt his own fault for trying to do way too much, but in his search for the mythical trilogy of rainbow jersey he has been on the move non-stop since December 4th and hasn't had a proper break since. I applaud his determination, but it's no wonder he's empty after a CX season, a full spring classic, some mountain bike World Cups ánd a Tour de France.

This is a bit harsh, no? I mean, it's no doubt his own fault for trying to do way too much, but in his search for the mythical trilogy of rainbow jersey he has been on the move non-stop since December 4th and hasn't had a proper break since. I applaud his determination, but it's no wonder he's empty after a CX season, a full spring classic, some mountain bike World Cups ánd a Tour de France.

When Pidcock is saying he is mentallly drained... it is surely not because he cant handle the pressure.

It is as you say, because he has been taking on too much. Road, MTB and CX at the same time. Not many off days or vacation time. Being able to do that and pretty much be succesful in all those disciplines speaks of mental toughness, not that he wouldnt be able to handle the pressure. He has put pressure on himself to challenge on so many fronts at the same time. Going further he might burn himself out in the long run, and that is probably why he feels "mentally drained" because he as been going non-stop for a long time. He needs to slow down and give up something or face consequences.

To become a GT contender and win monuments. He would have to focus more on the road and have more time to rest in between his big targets. How succesful he will be is anyones guess. We have not seen what Pidcock can do when he is solely focused on one thing.

When Pidcock is saying he is mentallly drained... it is surely not because he cant handle the pressure.

It is as you say, because he has been taking on too much. Road, MTB and CX at the same time. Not many off days or vacation time. Being able to do that and pretty much be succesful in all those disciplines speaks of mental toughness, not that he wouldnt be able to handle the pressure. He has put pressure on himself to challenge on so many fronts at the same time. Going further he might burn himself out in the long run, and that is probably why he feels "mentally drained" because he as been going non-stop for a long time. He needs to slow down and give up something or face consequences.

To become a GT contender and win monuments. He would have to focus more on the road and have more time to rest in between his big targets. How succesful he will be is anyones guess. We have not seen what Pidcock can do when he is solely focused on one thing.
Very much agree with this. The same applies to Van der Poel, too. My theory is that those two are way too talented for their own good. They have been winning too much at a young age and therefore think they can get away with anything and everything. And often they are. Tactically, Van der Poel is one of the worst riders I have ever seen, but he gets away with it because he's so gifted in comparison to others. At some point however, it backfires. I haven't done anything all winter struggling heavily with my back, but let me just rush the spring classics and then follow it up with a Giro and a Tour, that'd be brilliant. What? Don't surround yourself with yes-men. Someone should have told Pidcock to make a choice. You can go for a triple rainbow, but you either need to let go of the spring classics or skip the Tour.

Now compare that to Van Aert, who always was the loser at a younger age, but therefore probably knows the limits of his own body much better and is much more able to tell himself when he needs to take a break.

not an oil money team. Ineos produces chemicals for products we use every day in every day life. even chemicals for Toray carbon in our bike frames.
Adam, until now, is a Brit in a British identity team.
Don't you know, Luddites are the truly virtuous!
Ineos are one of the major players and pushers of Fracking and has significant holdings in Oil and Gas (more on gas rather than oil though).
And as we'll see this winter, we would be better off without any oil and gas. Or at the very least, we shouldn't produce any ourselves ...

• Wow

Ì don't know what goes around in his head or if those reports hold any merrit to begin with but other than having had a filled season, the only real pressure there has been, has been for the MTB worlds? There were no expectations to perform during the classics, there were no expectations for the TDF, and after not winning the MTB worlds, he already knew he wasn't going to do the treble and forfeited doing the WCC RR. So i feel there is reason for concern in that regard. Will he be able to work toward just that one goal, put all his focus there, and cope with the pressure of having to perform? Also not convinced that doing multiple disciplines is mentally more taxing than working an entire year towards one goal, as the variation could well keep things fresh.

The point is that a rider with two professional wins and zero notable GC results is presented as a possible TDF winner by the same poster who has been yammering every time expectations were voiced for a rider with a "somewhat" more solid palmares. In an era where other riders the same age are performing and getting much more/bigger results with lots more pressure to begin with, i don't think it's strange to wonder about the mental issues he's supposedly been having.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
That would be impossible for even God
Depends which god
kali-goddess-3_orig.jpg

P.S. All in all i feel that they will sign a big name in the (near) future. As surely they aren't spending that much money on kids. On who will it be best to wait and see.

Your feeling is most probably wrong. Ineos are not throwing their money like UAE or Israel. The only big names worthy for Ineos should be Pog, Vingegaard, Remco, WVA and MvdP. None of them is moving to Ineos.

I know your secret hope/wish is Roglic, but with his not really convincing performances this year (mind you, performances, not results) and his crash record, there's absolutely zero chance of them throwing close to 10m. on him at the age of 33.

Ineos are developing their riders and there's a big chance at least one of the young to be a big name within few years.
That's much wiser strategy than just wasting money.

TRENDING THREADS