• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 193 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

This is a very smart move by Matxin!

The Giro team this year was a joke in mountains. Now with the signing of Yates he probably push Benneth for the giro instead of the tour and then maybe + Vine. Would be strong! A quick guess on the mountains train in the giro line-up below.

Almeida
Vine
Bennett
Formolo
Großschartner

Vine is really the kind of rider that I don't want to see riding for UAE. They still didn't seem to realise that what they need is more rouleurs not climbers.
Even if they sign Vine they should still have 5 spots open for next season.

Given that they already have a small group of pretty solid roleurs in Bjerg, Trentin, Laengen, Oliveira-bros and a bunch of better riders that could do great donkey work in McNulty, Soler, Hirschi, Wellens in tougher terrain I don’t think they are far away from being well covered in the GTs.
Of course it would be great to have a rider like Van Baarle but I don’t really think one can say that the (lack of) roleurs is the reason why Pogacar lost the Tour this year. The one stage he got exposed by Jumbo this year it was on Galibier. In this situation it’s not much help in a rider like Van Baarle, but Adam Yates could’ve made a massive difference there.

I honestly think a team of these 8 is more than good enough to support Pogacar in the Tour:
Pogacar
Yates
Majka
McNulty
Soler
Grosschartner/Hirschi/Wellens
Bjerg
Trentin/Oliviera/Laengen

This is even a team without Ayoso and Almeida and they could still bring in some decent riders for the open 5-6 spots.

The only question is the TTT, but I think this should be a pretty solid TTT team with Pogi, McNulty and Bjerg as the big engines. Wouldn’t surprise me if they limit the loss to a Jumbo super team to 1 - 1,5sec/km.

———

Then of course UAE should’ve brought in some top rider for the cobble classics, but with the team they have they are really competitive in the GTs, basically every WT stage race and the hilly classics. They are also not too bad in sprints (especially in smaller races) with Ackermann, Hodeg and Gross (and Molano if they want to resign him).
Only in cobble classics it’s really thin with only Trentin as a competitive rider if we count on Pogi to not go for Ronde next season.

Vine is really the kind of rider that I don't want to see riding for UAE. They still didn't seem to realise that what they need is more rouleurs not climbers.
It's fine, they'll just turn into trident-era Movistar where they lost all their ATVs and rouleurs to be able to pay Landa, and everybody enjoyed the chaos. UAE are just embracing that, that's all. They even signed Marc Soler to make sure of it.

This is a very smart move by Matxin!

The Giro team this year was a joke in mountains. Now with the signing of Yates he probably push Benneth for the giro instead of the tour and then maybe + Vine. Would be strong! A quick guess on the mountains train in the giro line-up below.

Almeida
Vine
Bennett
Formolo
Großschartner
Maybe a bit off topic, but I'd take Formolo to the Tour as a domestique. He's friends with Pogacar and his biggest strength is his endurance, he can ride hard for an eternity while not having the highest w/kg on just 1 climb, that plays really well into Pogacar's strengths. Just look how good Formolo was as a superdom on that hilly Tirreno-Adriatico stage in 2021 or on the Le Grand Bornand stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Even if they sign Vine they should still have 5 spots open for next season.

Given that they already have a small group of pretty solid roleurs in Bjerg, Trentin, Laengen, Oliveira-bros and a bunch of better riders that could do great donkey work in McNulty, Soler, Hirschi, Wellens in tougher terrain I don’t think they are far away from being well covered in the GTs.
Of course it would be great to have a rider like Van Baarle but I don’t really think one can say that the (lack of) roleurs is the reason why Pogacar lost the Tour this year. The one stage he got exposed by Jumbo this year it was on Galibier. In this situation it’s not much help in a rider like Van Baarle, but Adam Yates could’ve made a massive difference there.

I honestly think a team of these 8 is more than good enough to support Pogacar in the Tour:
Pogacar
Yates
Majka
McNulty
Soler
Grosschartner/Hirschi/Wellens
Bjerg
Trentin/Oliviera/Laengen

This is even a team without Ayoso and Almeida and they could still bring in some decent riders for the open 5-6 spots.

The only question is the TTT, but I think this should be a pretty solid TTT team with Pogi, McNulty and Bjerg as the big engines. Wouldn’t surprise me if they limit the loss to a Jumbo super team to 1 - 1,5sec/km.

———

Then of course UAE should’ve brought in some top rider for the cobble classics, but with the team they have they are really competitive in the GTs, basically every WT stage race and the hilly classics. They are also not too bad in sprints (especially in smaller races) with Ackermann, Hodeg and Gross (and Molano if they want to resign him).
Only in cobble classics it’s really thin with only Trentin as a competitive rider if we count on Pogi to not go for Ronde next season.
You could've said something similar this season and UAE still ended up with Hirschi spending most of the Tour struggling to hang on to the back of the peloton. It's not the worst team around, but they're still kinda bringing a knife to a gun fight and depending heavily on Pogacar's ability to look after himself in the peloton. He's done so exceptionally up to this point, so inevitably it will go badly wrong sooner or later.

You could've said something similar this season and UAE still ended up with Hirschi spending most of the Tour struggling to hang on to the back of the peloton. It's not the worst team around, but they're still kinda bringing a knife to a gun fight and depending heavily on Pogacar's ability to look after himself in the peloton. He's done so exceptionally up to this point, so inevitably it will go badly wrong sooner or later.
Well, Trentin got Covid the day before the Tour and after the first week Laengen followed the same way. Every team would struggle if the two designated donkeys get Covid.

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Well, Trentin got Covid the day before the Tour and after the first week Laengen followed the same way. Every team would struggle if the two designated donkeys get Covid.
Any team would struggle if that happened during the race, sure. A team in UAE's position should still have more suitable riders than Hirschi on standby for the biggest race of the year. Dennis not being in contention was hardly a problem for Jumbo, and Ineos have always had very good riders who can't get a spot in the team at big races.

Perhaps Pog should do a Contador and demand that the team select his guys in the absence of a budget sufficient to compete with Jumbo and Ineos for the best domestiques.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS