• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now Maaike van der Duin to Canyon SRAM next year from Lecol Drops. Three sprinters including Shari Bossuyt. If they have the same No. of riders on the team as last year then if I've looked at it right they've got enough room for riders riding for the team this year currently without a contract (Amialusik, Bradbury, Harvey, Oudeman) plus the winner of the Zwift Academy.

How exactly do you "overperform"?
By not being able to follow it up. What possible other interpretation can you think of?

Do you not think that Óscar Pereiro overperformed in the 2006 Tour? That he climbed better in the Alps and did better in the final ITT than he had ever done before or would do again?

A better example is Peter Velits in the 2010 Vuelta. A single performance that was quite the outlier.

By not being able to follow it up. What possible other interpretation can you think of?

Do you not think that Óscar Pereiro overperformed in the 2006 Tour? That he climbed better in the Alps and did better in the final ITT than he had ever done before or would do again?

A better example is Peter Velits in the 2010 Vuelta. A single performance that was quite the outlier.
Considering Vine showed himself well in several breaks at last year's Vuelta and had some good 1 week stage races the last two years he's probably not too much of a risk.

As I've said before though, I'd rather see Alpecin find a way to retain Vine and build around what they have going with him, Stannard and Meurisse and take some weight off Van der Poel.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Well, I wouldn't know. But it seems pretty daft to say that it was an overperformance when it was there for all to see (fog notwithstanding) that he actually managed to maintain the gap to Remco (who was killing his rivals) all the way up the climb. Then he even backed it up with another stage win before fatigue set in. And then we haven't seen him race since.

That kind of takes the "not being able to back it up" part out of the equation, and I was lead to believe that Red Rick believed that Jay Vine had been better than he could be on that day because he likes to do his hot takes.

Velits is a good example of someone not being able to back up a certain ride, TGH could be another one. But the word "overperform" sounds ridiculous to me.

In case of relegation: Fuglsang will consider canceling his contract with Israel-Premier Tech.

from Feltet.dk

It also saying all riders have the option to canceling in case of relegation.
I don't know if Lotto riders have the same option.

But that would make a intersting end of the transfer season.
They do, but the major players like De Lie and Ewan have announced they'll stay in the event of relegation. De Lie even extended his contract and Segaert signed long term whilst in the know. Not sure about guys like Kron, Campenaerts, De Buyst and Vermeersch. Let's be real, however, it wouldn't even be that bad for Lotto of some of their riders left due to relegation. They've got a lot of mediocrity under contract.

They do, but the major players like De Lie and Ewan have announced they'll stay in the event of relegation. De Lie even extended his contract and Segaert signed long term whilst in the know. Not sure about guys like Kron, Campenaerts, De Buyst and Vermeersch. Let's be real, however, it wouldn't even be that bad for Lotto of some of their riders left due to relegation. They've got a lot of mediocrity under contract.

Vermeersch, Van Gils and Van Moer are maybe riders to keep a eye on

Well, he extended during the Tour - the whole "Literally announcing it on live television" thing - and at that point he probably already knew the risk of relegation was quite big. Might just be me, but I think it would be quite strange to extend with a team that's quite likely to get relegated, if you have no intention of staying with the team if they get relegated.

Well, he extended during the Tour - the whole "Literally announcing it on live television" thing - and at that point he probably already knew the risk of relegation was quite big. Might just be me, but I think it would be quite strange to extend with a team that's quite likely to get relegated, if you have no intention of staying with the team if they get relegated.

And Kron should stay even if they relegated. Bc the races he wants to race, they will still be invited for. Like fx AGR, FW and LBL.

This, De Lie, Kron, Moniquet & Van Gils all extended this year, the first 3 even in the summer so It would just be weird for them to leave now while they knew relegation was a option. With Wellens gone Kron will be leader in all the hilly classics, he's not getting that role in a single other team. And he's basically guaranteed to start the Tour again next year if he isn't injured.

The team is also guaranteed to ride whatever they want next year. Israel isn't (for now) so they have a bigger problem. Lotto probably just needs to watch out for the guys who already had a contract till the end of 2024 before this year (before everyone knew about what was coming up). I'm talking about Ewan in the first place. He said he wouldn't leave in July, but who knows what he thinks now or in November or December. The thing is that he is on a fat contract at Lotto, I don't think he'll get that good of a contract anywhere else at the end of the year, definitely not in non GC team. Then there are Campenaerts, Vermeersch and De Buyst, but honestly do they even have a reason to leave? There's a good athmosphere in the "classic squad" right now and as a Belgian team they will be riding all classic races in the future anyways. They could possibly miss out on GTs in 2024 but that's one year. I don't think that's the end of the world for them like it would be for a guy like Ewan.

Btw some not a single sane WT team is giving Fuglsang the same amount of money as Israel is giving him right now. I don't see their oldies leaving for that reason. Teuns is a different story, but again, it would be weird to leave when he knew damn well they could relegate when he signed there.

Last edited:
You could just have said he extended his contract, which I was unaware of, hence being not sure, instead of this soliloquy.

TRENDING THREADS