• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder what Ineos will do in the coming years. They have first and formost been a GC team, but now there are losing a lot of GC riders. Porte is retiring, Carapaz and Yates are leaving. Rodriguez may be leaving next year. And G are turning 37 next year. And they don't have (unless Bernal returns better than ever) a GC rider of the same quality or potential as Pog, Vingegaard and Remco. Will they continue to focus on GC and signing riders that may/probably won't be able to compete for a TDF win, or will they shift their focus? For example emphasize one day classics more with youngsters like Pidock, Sheffield, Turner, etc.

Next season:
GC captains: Thomas, Bernal, Martinez, perhaps Arensman
Important domestiques: Ganna, Castreviejo, De Plus, Sivakov, Kwia
Talents/domestiques: Pidcock, Turner, Tulett, Sheffield, Leo Hayter

And we also have TGH and Ethan Hayter, but unsure what roles these two will have.

A lot of good talents and capable domestiques, but few obvious captains and contenders against Pog, Remco, Vingegaard, Van der Poel, Van Aert, etc.

Last edited:
I wonder what Ineos will do in the coming years. They have first and formost been a GC team, but now there are losing a lot of GC riders. Porte is retiring, Carapaz and Yates are leaving. Rodriguez may be leaving next year. And G are turning 37 next year. And they don't have (unless Bernal returns better than ever) a GC rider of the same quality or potential as Pog, Vingegaard and Remco. Will they continue to focus on GC and signing riders that may/probably won't be able to compete for a TDF win, or will they shift their focus? For example emphasize one day classics more with youngsters like Pidock, Sheffield, Turner, etc.

Next season:
GC captains: Thomas, Bernal, Martinez, perhaps Arensman
Important domestiques: Ganna, Castreviejo, De Plus, Sivakov, Kwia
Talents/domestiques: Pidcock, Turner, Tulett, Sheffield, Leo Hayter

And we also have TGH and Ethan Hayter, but unsure what roles these two will have.

A lot of good talents and capable domestiques, but few obvious captains and contenders against Pog, Remco, Vingegaard, Van der Poel, Van Aert, etc.

Some of the change has been forced on them with the demise of Froome, and then Bernal's various injuries. But there has undoubtably been a change in emphasis at Ineos over the last two years. They haven't bought big name climbers since Yates and Carapaz in 2020, and both are already gone. The GC squad is still good, but a shadow of what it was 3-4 years ago. Unless Bernal makes another great recovery, which could save them next year.

Overall though, they're almost totally investing in young riders, most of whom are classics-focussed, a few of whom have potential for GC. The exception being Rodriguez, who they might also be losing!

Also interesting perhaps, that next year they'll have at least 11 British riders making them a truly nation-based team for the first time. When most of the WT is going the other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Not rider but staff related, apparently Davide Bramati is going to Ineos.
https://netherlands.postsen.com/sports/81338/‘INEOS-Grenadiers-sweeps-through-staff-Knaven-leaves-Bramati-comes’.html
He was in the Quickstep team car at the Vuelta, so them wanting to poach Remco from them could actually be true.
I wonder if Knaven is leaving due to AG NXTG being part of the the 'Wolfpack' umbrella and him having a large connection with them, creating a conflict of interest. While I realise the teams are not directly connected like Jumbo or Dsm, I think he's still got a greater connection with the team than just wife/partner and children being part of the team and maybe the ties with quickstep will increase in 2023 compared to this season.

Also, maybe I'm being stupid, but I thought Rasch was already working for Uno X?

Brain Holm, now past sport director at QS said it today in danish TV under stage 4 of CRO races.
He said it was official secret in belgian press

But feel free to believe in what you want

Then it's just weird he signed a new contract.
And that he was still talking to the press yesterday about how his 2023 will look like (with the team). I'm pretty sure he (and everyone on the team) knows by now that they won't be WT next year.

I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it would be weird, And if it was something that was known in the press I'm pretty sure someone would've mentioned it yesterday or today in the whole Lelangue leaving thing. Basically every newspaper has made 5 articles about it and nowhere a mention of the possibility of De Lie leaving.

Question is, what team would he go to then? Most teams that he fits in are kind of full or don't have the budget to pay him probably.

Anyways I thought you were referring to some random Sporza spy who said there's is a possibility he leaves, not Brian Holm actually saying it.

EDIT: They also just gave his brother a contract with the devoteam for the next 2 years, seems to me that's something you do to keep Arnaud happy as his brother isn't actually good enough to be a pro.

Last edited:
De Lie should have signed for DSM when they still had Bol, and arguably a full leadout train missing a leading sprinter.

Now it indeed seems weird. Where should he go instead?
IWG would seem the most obvious option? He and Girmay are probably just about different enough riders that there'll be plenty of races open to him.

Despite all the indications that he was staying at Lotto, just can't see him staying at Pro level after the season he's had.

Lotto will have wild card for every single World Tour race next year. What real difference is it compared to racing for a World Tour team?

Agreed. I don't really think of Mathieu as a lower level rider, either.

I guess there could be a possible problem that Lotto next year have to ride for points again to ensure they retain the secured wildcards status in 2024, which could lead them to letting De Lie ride 10,000 1.1 races again to maximise his points tally, and maybe he wants to try to ride bigger races. That is quite a theoretical thing, though, and surely they must realise that he is good enough to score points elsewhere.

Agreed. I don't really think of Mathieu as a lower level rider, either.

I guess there could be a possible problem that Lotto next year have to ride for points again to ensure they retain the secured wildcards status in 2024, which could lead them to letting De Lie ride 10,000 1.1 races again to maximise his points tally, and maybe he wants to try to ride bigger races. That is quite a theoretical thing, though, and surely they must realise that he is good enough to score points elsewhere.

Based on interviews with De Lie and Monfort in the Walloon press yesterday and today his schedule will revolve around the big classic races and a GT. They have talked about it but it isn't specific yet but I assume it will be something similar as to what Campenaerts, Vermeersch and Van Moer would've done in the first half of this year if they didn't get sick. Paris Nice was already mentioned so my guess is: small stage race, OHN, Kuurne, Samyn, Paris-Nice, Nokere or Bredene, De Panne, GW, DVV, RVV and Paris Roubaix. Then Giro or Vuelta. I think Vuelta would be the best idea as doing the Giro after a hard classic season isn't ideal. In May/June he can still do races like Morbihan, Tro Bro Leon and some Belgian ones for sponsors and points, but De Lie himself told the press that Menten is supposed to be the sprinter for a lot of those .1 races with his main goal being to take points.

That is if he stays obviously.

Personally I would choose the 2023 Giro d'Italia due to the bigger prestige and more sprint stages.

Also for a sprinter it leaves the possibility of a long and strong spring peak only doing races like K-B-K, Scheldeprijs and maybe slightly harder ones like Gent-Wevelgem ahead of the Giro d'Italia. Cherry picking races that are favorable towards his skillset instead of doing a full spring season.

Personally I would choose the 2023 Giro d'Italia due to the bigger prestige and more sprint stages.

Also for a sprinter it leaves the possibility of a long and strong spring peak only doing races like K-B-K, Scheldeprijs and maybe slightly harder ones like Gent-Wevelgem ahead of the Giro d'Italia. Cherry picking races that are favorable towards his skillset instead of doing a full spring season.

I definitely think he is strong enough to also feature in harder cobbled classics.

I think De Lie should be able to ride a kind of similar program, and score about the same kind of points, as Kristoff have done this year. So doing most WT classics that suits his skillset, 1 GT and fill up with lower level races.

I would suggest a full spring season until Scheldepreijs/Roubaix, then break and a bunch of races in late may and June. Then building the autumn season around Vuelta and Belgian classics.

I definitely think he is strong enough to also feature in harder cobbled classics.
My statement was a bit misleading. I didn't want to question that he's able to contest in harder cobbled classics.

Personally I think he should cautiously cherry pick the spring classics he performs well in ahead of the 2023 Giro d'Italia, so it's actually possible to do both in good shape.

I think De Lie should be able to ride a kind of similar program, and score about the same kind of points, as Kristoff have done this year. So doing most WT classics that suits his skillset, 1 GT and fill up with lower level races.

I would suggest a full spring season until Scheldepreijs/Roubaix, then break and a bunch of races in late may and June. Then building the autumn season around Vuelta and Belgian classics.

Agreed, but Kristoff fills up with a massive amount of smaller races. He has 85 racedays this year, De Lie 50. I don't think doing 85 racedays next year is the best thing for De Lie. I get your point tho, but Kristoff did the Tour and didn't take a lot of rest. There's not a lot of races you miss while doing the Tour, while there a lot of races you miss while doing the Vuelta, so getting those 2000 points is a bit unrealistic imo.

Alcudia, Palma (could skip those 2 to do altitude camp instead),
Almeria, Haut Var
Omloop, Kuurne (+ maybe Samyn cause he really likes that race)
Paris-Nice
Nokere or Bredene (let Ewan do De Panne after MSR)
GW, DDV, RVV, Scheldeprijs,Paris-Roubaix
Morbihan, Tro Bro Leon
Antwerp, Wallonie, Brussels, Hageland
Belgium Tour
Nationals (probably big goal)
Wallonie or Poland
Leuven, Franco Belge
Vuelta
Famenne, Binche, Paris Tours

This would be 64 racedays, more than enough imo. He would do way more WT work, but also still some smaller one day races (more .Pro than .1 tho) that he can get wins in.

But hey who am I, I trust that his trainer and whatever team he'll be riding for next season knows what they're doing.

TRENDING THREADS