• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 197 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can’t miss if you don’t shoot. Besides, he isn’t exactly in a position of demands and luxury right now.

True, it's hard to see where he can go. But Quickstep just sounds like something that definitely doesn't rhyme with Quintana. Can he speak two words of English?

Maybe not in 2023, but in 2024, why not?

I just don't think he fits in the quickstep culture

Agreed to the last part. Regarding the former, he has always seemed like a very selfish rider.

Reactions: postmanhat
Not mentioned, but Cofidis signed two riders from DN1 teams: Axel Mariault and Harrison Wood. Don't know much about Axel Mariault, but the team describe as having a Guillaume Martin profile, by which I hope they're referring to the climbing abilities and not the descendindg and TT abilities. Harrison Wood I know has had some decent results on the french and spanish national calendars.

View: https://twitter.com/TeamCOFIDIS/status/1575819115813429248?s=20&t=4Pokxjz7lATYFy3wJIq4mw

Edit: I've just realised i'm wrong. Aparently now Nantes Atlantique U is now a continental team, so only Wood came from a DN1 team of AVC Aix en Provence. I also just saw and forgot he rode from SEG previously.

I don't know what money Quintana was on, but he can absolutelyi still do a job for a lot of WT teams. The bargain gets harder if he demands you bring Dayer and friends in too.

But with this Tramadol case en the timing of it (lots of team has spend most of their budget) he might not ask for too much.

I see him ending at B&B for some reason which would be lame but hopefully a WT team gives him another shot.

Bahrain has some spots left and I think money too (they still havent really replaced Teuns)

UAE is basically full.

Movistar well? Not going to happen I guess?

EF has open spots but I think its pretty impossible they have money left.

DSM has a lot of spots and money but he doesnt fit there.

Edit: i forgot about Astana. Nibali money is "free" and they have open spots.

Last edited:
Arnaud De Lie is La Derniere Heure today about the relegation:
"I think it's over. It will be really complicated to catch Arkea, Cofidis or BEX. A lot also depends on what happens with the Quintana case. I will still race to win this year, starting on Sunday. This won't change that"

On the question if he's worried about Lotto not being WT next year:
"I don't think it will change a lot. It might be even better for everyones schedule as we don't have to ride every single WT race, but still will get invitations to every big race we want. It might be easier for the team and riders to peak to certain events."

You never know, a lot can still change, but doesn't sound like he's planning on leaving. Also says he's really happy his brother got that Devo team contract as he will now be even more motivated to train (with him). "I helped him with the contract but now it's all up to him".

Agreed to the last part. Regarding the former, he has always seemed like a very selfish rider.
Not only that, also the work ethic QS expects and the way they handle training. It's much more inline with Ineos/Jumbo then Movistar for example.

Quintana seems to me like someone that just rides his bike to train, and does it on feeling. That's completely different from strict training schedules.

Would be a full circle type of thing.

Movistar will be in transition after Valverde and Quintana can still do a job for them. Score some valuable points.

Ngl, Movistar would have a pretty decent team out of nowhere.
Mas who seems to finally have made another step
Quintana who can still win and get great results
Guerreiro who can get some good results in classics
Kanter & Gaviria who can do the point thing if necessary
Garcia Cortina, Aranburu and Serraro who are all pretty fast and can do the classic type of thing (well actual flemish classics will probably still be a no go for the team)

And then there is the Rodriguez rumour for 2024.

If they're not stupid again they should no have a problem to survive the next WT cycle.

Lotto will have wild card for every single World Tour race next year. What real difference is it compared to racing for a World Tour team?

I'd completely forgotten about the wildcard system o_O Much better for them with their current team as they can skip a lot of the GC races they don't have riders for. Really hope he stays as have a softspot for Lotto, and hopefully he can help them at the top of the Pro ranks for a year of rebuilding.

I'd completely forgotten about the wildcard system o_O Much better for them with their current team as they can skip a lot of the GC races they don't have riders for. Really hope he stays as have a softspot for Lotto, and hopefully he can help them at the top of the Pro ranks for a year of rebuilding.

It did Alpecin no harm and they racked up loads of .1 and .Pro wins without fear of relegation and without having to do all the WT races.

Will Staune-Mittet really be with the JV development team for another year? He seems too good already.

PCS has him listed with the first team from 2024 to 2026.
Yes, by contract he will, but that was signed somewhere in late 2021. He wouldn't be the first to get promoted earlier than agreed, as they have done before with Kooij and the Van Dijke brothers.

TRENDING THREADS