• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers, Extensions, and Rumours Thread

Page 200 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not quite UAE in the end, but Guerin still made it up to the pro circuit and signed for Bingoal

A 30 year old CT Sputnik is always a bit of a risk, but it's not like they have a ton of great riders on their 2023 roster...

Dyball always performed well in the conti teams and all those Asian races
for sure, yeah, but riders like him, Earle, Mancebo, Benjamin Prades and so on are in a different category, I'd say. They are/were just not good enough for Europe, but still very well capable to dominate in Asia.

I see Guerin more like Piccolo, Harper (although younger), Celano or Schelling. Stüssi in his best years is another example. Most teams wouldn't sign them

for sure, yeah, but riders like him, Earle, Mancebo, Benjamin Prades and so on are in a different category, I'd say. They are/were just not good enough for Europe, but still very well capable to dominate in Asia.

I see Guerin more like Piccolo, Harper (although younger), Celano or Schelling. Stüssi in his best years is another example. Most teams wouldn't sign them
One of these things is not like the others...

only referring to the 40+ version of Mancebo there, of course. Or what do you mean?
Well, the wording was about "were not good enough to compete in Europe". Even post-Puerto Paco was decent in Europe during his time with Fercase, Heraklion-Kastro, his stint in the US and even with Sky Dive Dubai in his late 30s he was still passable (although would not have got by at that age solely on his European results). Sure a 40+yo Mancebo would not be competitive in European pro cycling (he did manage top 20 - just - in the Vuelta a Castilla y León in 2019, but that was a very weak field), but then if he hadn't been as ostracised as he was (definitely some poor personal choices like taking the Rock Racing contract need to be mentioned here as well, as this exacerbated his problems), he probably would have earned a bunch more in his heyday and not still be riding into his mid-40s anyway.

I've always said that Paco scrabbling for rides on teams like 5-Hour Energy, Heraklion-Kastro and Hangar 15 into his 40s and cobbling together his winnings from the Ronda Pilipinas, Tour de Guadeloupe, Tour d'Égypte and other such races he's entering on a mercenary "have race licence, will travel" basis over 15 years after Operación Puerto is a better anti-doping advertisement than most riders who've sat out bans.

Speaking of Celano, with Sapurna he really found a serious team. Until now he has only started 5 stage races with them in 3 seasons (mainly covid related), but he still got payed all that time. I guess winning Langkawi, the biggest race for them, right at the start helped, but it still looks like a much better deal than having to find your own sponsors to get a spot on an Italian PCT team...

Last edited:
Speaking of Celano, with Sapurna he really found a serious team. Until now he has only started 5 stage races with them in 3 seasons (mainly covid related), but he still got payed all that time. I guess winning Langkawi, the biggest race for them, right at the start helped, but it still looks like a much better deal than having to find your own sponsors to get a spot on an Italian PCT team...
and he said they have a WT budget, so the team must pay him a lot - not sure what else they'd do with it, at least ;)

This, although the other way around, somehow falls into the same category of transfer, by the way:

View: https://twitter.com/jauzy19/status/1578397015658176512

Reactions: Sandisfan
and he said they have a WT budget, so the team must pay him a lot - not sure what else they'd do with it, at least ;)

This, although the other way around, somehow falls into the same category of transfer, by the way:

View: https://twitter.com/jauzy19/status/1578397015658176512
They had a lot more foreign riders before the pandemic hit, maybe they'll sign more for the next season.
From what I've heard Igor Frolov will stay on his Vietnamese team, but both he and the team want to race more in other Asian countries.

Interesting move by Kamp, I still don't know what to think about that Tudor team...

They had a lot more foreign riders before the pandemic hit, maybe they'll sign more for the next season.
From what I've heard Igor Frolov will stay on his Vietnamese team, but both he and the team want to race more in other Asian countries.

Interesting move by Kamp, I still don't know what to think about that Tudor team...
Vinama need to get that CT licence, the Vietnamese guys on BikeLife-Dong Nai did decent at the Tour of Cambodia a couple of years back; with a CT licence they could get to do Langkawi and the Indonesian UCI-categorised races.

They wouldn't need that if they wanted to go to the Philippines for their races. This year's Ronda Pilipinas had a great mountain stage into Baguio on the penultimate stage where Ronald Lomotos overcame a gigantic deficit to take the GC off his own teammate on the penultimate stage after winning by some nine minutes, attacking and dropping everybody after monitoring the break and realising he was being afforded enough rope that he could threaten the win. They have a pretty historic, but incredibly insular and underdeveloped, scene on Luzon. And the islands are absolutely chocked full of genuine cat.1 and HC mountains that Cosmonaut Frolov could eat for breakfast. Take Bessang Pass (classic Alpine type dimensions), Tinoc Pass (high altitude, steep), most of the different routes into Baguio or Tagaytay (two hubs of cycling in the Philippines, and climbs of a variety of styles ranging from 30km at 5% grinders to 5km at 10% punches), or the awesomely-named Blazing Mountain Of The Gods (Zoncolan-tastic, almost 10km at 11%).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS