• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 212 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unless Canel's are paying UCI licence fees and intend to do the South American preseason races like San Juan (and if they bring back the Tour Colombia) and the Spanish mini-season it seems very strange, but the most recent that I can find is that after the Vuelta al Ecuador he's headed home to Mexico to prepare for his final time as an U23, but he seems more than ready enough to step up.

Keegan Swirbul has signed with Vigo-Rías Baixas in the Spanish amateur scene which just seems weird as well. Alex Hoehn is already over there, so that's two useful American climbers who I thought did reasonably enough to show they were ProConti level (Hoehn was literally the most noticeable Wildlife Generation rider for me in 2021) but have had limited chance to show that with the collapse of the North American stage racing scene and have ended up dropping all the way to the amateur ranks. Again I thought he could surely have got a deal at a higher UCI level than that somewhere, but maybe riding pro-am in Spain is better for him than riding the Conti scene in the US or taking his chances on the Asia Tour in terms of the races he'll get to do and the chance to keep his name out there.

I also kind of like Keegan because his sister is a US cross country skier who isn't Jessie Diggins.
The Americans can always follow Barry Miller to Portugal...

Reactions: StryderHells
Tudor just posted some pictures on social media with some of their riders.
Of course, it appears like they haven't actually told the wider public who'll be riding for them. Maybe they'll post pictures with all their riders, and then reveal their signings.

Cancellara confirmed they will have 20 riders and confirmed Froidevaux, Kelemen and Voissard are staying.

It appears De Kleijn, Lucas & Jacob Eriksson, Matt Holmes, Heming, Kamp. Kluckers, Kolze Changizi, Pellaud, Pluimers, Reichenbach, Suter, Thalmann, Luc Wirtgen and Ziljaard are joining.

So if the rumours are true that would leave space for two more riders, either unknown or extension (I would be surprised if they do not retain Nils Brun)

Some news from previous days:

1. Savio could be announcing the merger with a Colombian conti team this week. He will only be able to take Benedetti with him from the italian contigent of the team (as well as Ciucarelli who is a new signing). Zardini and Chirico are retiring while other italian riders are searching for teams. Corratec might be an option for some of them.

2. Pozzovivo expects to sign his contract (presumably renewal with Wanty) this week.

3. Sources report Axel Laurence could be heading to INEOS if B&B finally folds, with Bonnamour and Mozzato already with a guaranteed spot in another roster (unknown if top or second division)

Aspiring ProTeam for 2023, Bolton Equities Black Spoke Pro Cycling have announced 3 new signings on Instagram:

2 from WiV SunGod...

Matthew Bostock - the current British criterium champion

Rory Townsend - the current Irish road champion

1 young Kiwi rider...

George Jackson - a pretty talented young sprinter.

I would love to see a few WT crits. I've been watching the British criterium championship the last few years -- great fun. On the right course, it would be a real crowd-pleaser. of course the traditionalists would howl that you're Americanizing the sport, but can you imagine punchy riders like MvDp, Pidcock, Alaf, even a Gaudu mixing it up on a 2 km city course with elevation changes, tight turns, maybe cobbles? Or a few versatile sprinters like Matthews?

Is the Colombian Savio team going to stay Pro Continental or is the merger a little too late as Jojo Levesque would say?
As far as I know it's too late.
I'm a bit surprised that some decent young Colombian's have no offers to turn pro. Colpack's sprinter Nicolas Gomez had to sign with an Italian CT team and no offers for German Dario Gomez (a solid one day racer) or his teammate Pinzon (8th on the gc in the Giro di Sicilia and 3rd in the Clasico RCN). You'd think that those guys and a rider like Sanit Umba would get a chance at PCT level, despite the later having a rather bad season after a promising 2021.

Is the Colombian Savio team going to stay Pro Continental or is the merger a little too late as Jojo Levesque would say?
The team will be Conti and mainly based on Colombian riders for 2023, with the objective of returing to ProConti (or whichever name is the current second tier) for 2024 and bringing back a relevant italian contingent.

Drone Hopper signed a four year sponsorship contract and Savio wants them to put some money if the company manages to be profitable.

The team will be Conti and mainly based on Colombian riders for 2023, with the objective of returing to ProConti (or whichever name is the current second tier) for 2024 and bringing back a relevant italian contingent.

Drone Hopper signed a four year sponsorship contract and Savio wants them to put some money if the company manages to be profitable.
Yeah, according to Savio they didn't pay the team any money for 3-4 months and Sidermec was nice enough to help out so thatstaff members and riders would still get payed.

Reactions: StryderHells
I would love to see a few WT crits. I've been watching the British criterium championship the last few years -- great fun. On the right course, it would be a real crowd-pleaser. of course the traditionalists would howl that you're Americanizing the sport, but can you imagine punchy riders like MvDp, Pidcock, Alaf, even a Gaudu mixing it up on a 2 km city course with elevation changes, tight turns, maybe cobbles? Or a few versatile sprinters like Matthews?
I wouldn't say that it's Americanising the sport, especially as aren't the British crits more like Belgian kermesses, with twisty courses and technical bits, rather than the American style which I associate more with the pure four-corner crit on wide open roads which are all about keeping a constant high speed, with a heavy focus on placement and slipstreaming?

I mean, I do oppose holding crits at the World Tour level as I think they're a separate form of racing (hence having their own national championships separate from the road race even though they take place on the road), but if you were going to hold them I wouldn't consider it an Americanisation unless they were all that style of crit.

Aspiring ProTeam for 2023, Bolton Equities Black Spoke Pro Cycling have announced 3 new signings on Instagram:

2 from WiV SunGod...

1 young Kiwi rider...

Seems like useful signings for a team on the up

2 from WiV SunGod...

1 young Kiwi rider...

They also added couple more, Kiwi rider today, Josh Burnett and Jacob Scott UK.. Plus looks like might got their Pro Tour license. https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=574490241347426&set=a.497851242344660

Last edited:
Looking at their transfers they can sprint with 5 B sprinters instead of 3 every race next season.
I like Mozzato, i think he's underrated, but Arkea already has someone who's almost the same and better (Hofstetter).
That's a good point, but who needs a fast guy for the cobbled classics? Israel and maybe Bahrain, with Colbrelli gone they could use another guy for the cobbles. I expect Milan to step up next year, but someone like Rajovic, a strong rouleur with a good sprint, has never really raced those kind of races before, Mozzato would be a more reliable option for them. Maybe FDJ, since he already has some experience riding for a French team and could work as a part of Demare's train, while having a more protected role in the classics that are too hard for Demare (Küng and Madouas are free to attack while he covers moves behind them).

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's a good point, but who needs a fast guy for the cobbled classics? Israel and maybe Bahrain, with Colbrelli gone they could use another guy for the cobbles. I expect Milan to step up next year, but someone like Rajovic, a strong rouleur with a good sprint, has never really raced those kind of races before, Mozzato would be a more reliable option for them. Maybe FDJ, since he already has some experience riding for a French team and could work as a part of Demare's train, while having a more protected role in the classics that are too hard for Demare (Küng and Madouas are free to attack while he covers moves behind them).
AG2R could also do with him considering that their cobbles team is underperforming and Sarreau, Venturini and Vendrame are probably the worst trio of sprinters on any WT team that bother to have three sprinters. FDJ already have Stewart for the role you describe.

AG2R could also do with him considering that their cobbles team is underperforming and Sarreau, Venturini and Vendrame are probably the worst trio of sprinters on any WT team that bother to have three sprinters. FDJ already have Stewart for the role you describe.
Yeah, but Vendrame has become a lot worse as a sprinter during the last season, before that he was decent for a 60kg guy, even if I always rated him higher as a stagehunter and one day racer.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS