• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Great Big Cycling Transfers and Rumours Thread

Page 216 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Some of the female riders who had originally signed with B&B/Paris (including Cordon-Ragot) will instead join the new Spanish Zaaf Cycling Team.

B&B had also snapped up Anna Kiesenhofer, but it's still uncertain whether she'll be riding somewhere else next year. Sandra Lévénez has had to retire because it was too late for her to get a new contract at Cofidis or any other team, since she obviously thought her future would be with B&B.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
I wonder if Chloe Hosking will get a contract - She's been hitting social media.

I'll be surprised if she doesn't get an offer from somewhere. Now that UCI points matter more, there are definitely teams that could use a couple of hundred extra points a year, even if she hasn't had the most of luck the past couple of seasons. EF-TIBCO-SVB still only has seven confirmed riders for next year, so there could possibly be a spot open there.

Kinda surprised that Lotto-Dstny haven't really signed anyone who can ride for gc in shorter stageraces and potentially stagehunt in gts (besides Sepulveda, who isn't what he used to be).

Literally no money

(and also a result of the CEO switch/Van De Wouwer being appointed as Sportive manager in September when most of the teams budget was already spent and most good riders were already off the market).

Van Eetvelt could suprise tho, but he might not start the season well as he is recovering from mononucleosis.
And not like I'm expecting special things from the Adamietz guy, but apparenlty he does have pretty good power numbers.

Last edited:
Literally no money

(and also a result of the CEO switch/Van De Wouwer being appointed as Sportive manager in September when most of the teams budget was already spent and most good riders were already off the market).

Van Eetvelt could suprise tho, but he might not start the season well as he is recovering from mononucleosis.
And not like I'm expecting special things from the Adamietz guy, but apparenlty he does have pretty good power numbers.

What about VanBilsen? It was reported that he had offers both from Lotto and Israel a couple of months ago.

Literally no money

They got rid of two of their three most expensive riders in Gilbert and Wellens, surely the sponsorship income didn't fall by that much that they can't reinvest that money at all? Especially given that the other major Belgian teams have no trouble securing sponsors and are all growing? Their current hollowed-out lineup doesn't exactly scream 'we're going to reclaim our WT license', but rather 'we'll struggle to stay in the automatic wildcard spots' and a Lotto that isn't at the biggest races is probably a Lotto that ends up folding in the next few years...

Last edited:
They got rid of two of their three most expensive riders in Gilbert and Wellens, surely the sponsorship income didn't fall by that much that they can't reinvest that money at all? Their current hollowed-out lineup doesn't exactly scream 'we're going to reclaim our WT license', but rather 'we'll struggle to stay in the automatic wildcard spots' and a Lotto that isn't at the biggest races is probably a Lotto that ends up folding in the next few years...

Covid hit them hard. Wellens wasn't on that much money anymore because of that (he accepted a significantly lower salary). Soudal was also bigger than DSTNY and there's some little sponsors that either left or will give less money because of the relegation. That combined with extending De Lie (earns more money than a lot of people think already + don't forget thet also extended Kron, Van Gils and Moniquet, they won't be on a minimum salary anymore) and investing in their devo team (continental now) and some performance stuff (dietist, special guy for TTs, 3 new trainers, more altitude camps throughout the year) means no money left now sadly. Maybe the newly announced partnership with Efficy means they'll try to get an extra (B&B) guy but I doubt it. No reason to add some mediocre guys now, and the good B&B guys probably have better options.

And yes I agree that their 2023 selection is pretty bad, people that think they will easily be top 2 PCT team every year are dumb. Pretty sure Israel is simply better if they don't have the amount of bad luck from last year and are a bit smarter and Total kind of depends on if Sagan gets some form back I guess. Atleast Van de Wouwer knows this and warned the whole team that points will be priority from day 1 in the new season. Getting back to the WT won't be easy, but if you see Astana's and DSM's selections it's possible. Definitely knowing DSM seem to have some financial issues. I honestly don't see them surviving if they have another bad year.

Van De Wouwer has also said that a climber that can lead is a priority for next transfer window if the team manages to get the budget. Which will be the number 1 thing the new CEO will have to do.

What about VanBilsen? It was reported that he had offers both from Lotto and Israel a couple of months ago.

Vanbilsen is no climber and even in classic races he would bring nothing extra to the team. Lotto has enough riders that can do the same or even better.

Last edited:
Regarding Zaaf, do we know who are the backers behind the team?

They have little information about who is paying for the operation, sponsors involved, etc., and I don't see any Zaaf Foundation associated with the former rider. All I see in their website is a mention of Larankha, which from what I could find is a company formed in Barcelona in the end of 2021 who trades oil and related products but with a website without any information and with the only associate who has a surname probably related to who appears as team representative in CQ Ranking, who is also in charge of other Barcelona companies (a construction company and two other companies with the same activity description - immobiliary and distribution). All of them without any online presence.

Let's hope it's not another Manuela Fundación.

Vanbilsen is exactly the kind of mediocre semiclassics rider Lotto has had too many of for years, and have once again signed more of. Exactly what they don't need.

Covid hit them hard.
They're hardly the only ones...

Fair points on Wellens and De Lie. However, I do think it's a sign of weakness that Lotto are struggling to find well-paying secondary sponsors when the other Belgian teams have no such issues. Yes, the relegation plays a role in that, but it's hardly like that wasn't their own fault.

special guy for TTs
This seems superfluous when you have basically no GT riders. Campenaerts is hardly about to compete again with the Gannas, Evenepoels and Van Aerts in the discipline either, so I don't see where the benefits come in. Would have made a lot more sense if they'd attracted some GC types instead of overloading the team with the kind of stereotypical middling ProTeam semiclassics guys you aren't riding for anyway when you have Ewan and De Lie. Literally the majority of their signings fits that template, of course you need some depth in that department when you're a Belgian team hunting down points but they are overstocked now.

And yes I agree that their 2023 selection is pretty bad, people that think they will easily be top 2 PCT team every year are dumb. Pretty sure Israel is simply better if they don't have the amount of bad luck from last year and are a bit smarter and Total kind of depends on if Sagan gets some form back I guess. Atleast Van de Wouwer knows this and warned the whole team that points will be priority from day 1 in the new season.
Agree Israel would have to both have bad luck and mess up again to miss out again. Between Total and Lotto, there are two battles: who can get more out of their underdelivering leader (Sagan/Ewan), and can De Lie make up for Total having a far stronger second tier of riders? Doesn't sound too hopeful when you look at it like that. And then Uno-X may also challenge if they have a good year.

Van De Wouwer has also said that a climber that can lead is a priority for next transfer window if the team manages to get the budget. Which will be the number 1 thing the new CEO will have to do.
That may be too late. Finishing third of the ProTeams in 2023 would almost certainly mean the money won't be there and then you're already behind in the WT license race with a team that you'd think is too limited to make up ground. Not to mention the risk of Ewan and/or De Lie leaving in such a scenario.

No reason to add some mediocre guys now, and the good B&B guys probably have better options.
If there is any sort of money left, they should at least try to see if they can get Schultz. Most teams are full so I'm doubtful of there being many better options.

Reactions: search
Regarding Zaaf, do we know who are the backers behind the team?

They have little information about who is paying for the operation, sponsors involved, etc., and I don't see any Zaaf Foundation associated with the former rider. All I see in their website is a mention of Larankha, which from what I could find is a company formed in Barcelona in the end of 2021 who trades oil and related products but with a website without any information and with the only associate who has a surname probably related to who appears as team representative in CQ Ranking, who is also in charge of other Barcelona companies (a construction company and two other companies with the same activity description - immobiliary and distribution). All of them without any online presence.

Let's hope it's not another Manuela Fundación.

That could sound a bit shady. We've also seen teams like Colnago CM and the Íñigo Cuesta lead Casa Dorada team make promises they couldn't keep in recent years.

The DS, Manel Lacambra, at least has some experience, but that doesn't matter much if the money isn't actually there. Still you'd hope that Zaaf's family wouldn't invest in it if they didn't actually mean it.

Vanbilsen is exactly the kind of mediocre semiclassics rider Lotto has had too many of for years, and have once again signed more of. Exactly what they don't need.

They're hardly the only ones...

Fair points on Wellens and De Lie. However, I do think it's a sign of weakness that Lotto are struggling to find well-paying secondary sponsors when the other Belgian teams have no such issues. Yes, the relegation plays a role in that, but it's hardly like that wasn't their own fault.

This seems superfluous when you have basically no GT riders. Campenaerts is hardly about to compete again with the Gannas, Evenepoels and Van Aerts in the discipline either, so I don't see where the benefits come in. Would have made a lot more sense if they'd attracted some GC types instead of overloading the team with the kind of stereotypical middling ProTeam semiclassics guys you aren't riding for anyway when you have Ewan and De Lie. Literally the majority of their signings fits that template, of course you need some depth in that department when you're a Belgian team hunting down points but they are overstocked now.

Agree Israel would have to both have bad luck and mess up again to miss out again. Between Total and Lotto, there are two battles: who can get more out of their underdelivering leader (Sagan/Ewan), and can De Lie make up for Total having a far stronger second tier of riders? Doesn't sound too hopeful when you look at it like that. And then Uno-X may also challenge if they have a good year.

That may be too late. Finishing third of the ProTeams in 2023 would almost certainly mean the money won't be there and then you're already behind in the WT license race with a team that you'd think is too limited to make up ground. Not to mention the risk of Ewan and/or De Lie leaving in such a scenario.

If there is any sort of money left, they should at least try to see if they can get Schultz. Most teams are full so I'm doubtful of there being many better options.

The TT guy is Segaerts brother (he will also work with the DEVO team). They also have Van Eetvelt who is a promising GT rider with a pretty decent TT. They are obviously looking at the future. Again you're stating a lot of things that Lelangue did. I'm not a fan either of the Livyns, Paesschens or Slock transfers cause Lotto has enough of that type of riders. I do think Menten is pretty solid cause he can do a lot of these .1 races an rack in points by getting top 5s. Van Eetvelt is obviously good and Guarnieri is Kluges replacement so fair enough (even tho I wouldve gone for a younger guy). Then you have Eenkhoorn who probably wasn't cheap but he's the only one who has the talent to maybe play a role in some bigger races. Only Sepulveda and Adamietz were Van de Wouwer transfers and those were because atleast he realized they needed extra climbers. Just didn't have the budget and it was already September/October so no interesting riders on the market anymore.

They can't just leave after this year btw. Clausule was to leave at the end of this year (because contracts were WT contracts), that isn't the case from januari onwards anymore (well except a mutual agreement to break the contract ofcourse). I agree that becoming 3rd this year would mean that you had a at max a mediocre year and thus no interest from sponsors and definitely not from interesting climbers.

At the end of the day none of these things are Van de Wouwers fault. There is a change, finally, but definitely way too late and hopefully waiting to change those things (Lelangue out, a way more diverse directors board (not just Lotto deciding things), more attention to performance stuff, etc.) doesn't result in the team completely destroying itself. Atleast this time I have the feeling they know what they have to do. Hearing interviews with Lelangue the last years was just annoying as he didn't have a clue about what was important in todays cycling world, and neither did the higher ups from Lotto.

And obviously I agree about Schultz, but like I said a guy like him must have better options than Lotto right now, even if they miraculously got some budget.

I know Vanbilsen is no climber at all. Was asking if those following closely Lotto had any intel about him joining the team, since it was rumoured they were interested in him.

I have honestly never seen that rumour anywhere apart from here a while back. So yeah I don't know if there's even any truth to it.
I went to look for it and it wasn't mentioned in a single Belgian newspaper.

I mean, there is talk about the Österreich-Rundfahrt returning next year, but given the fact that they had to cancel it rather late this season I'm not that confident that it's actually gonna happen...
it's looking a bit better, I think. Last year they just presented a route although they didn't even have confirmation from the cities yet. Now, as far as I know, the Vorarlberg guys have taken over the organisation, so it should be a more professional approach. But they are still lacking sponsors to finance it.

TRENDING THREADS